Ruger SBH strength

Jim in Flad
[subject]
Tuesday, August 07, 2018, 18:26 (2089 days ago)

Gary, below on the "Cimarron" topic it sounded like you were making a distinction
between the OM SBH and possibly the NM in regards to strength. Never hearing
this before, I'm curious 'why,' ... I thought the chief difference lie only in the action.

Flag (not Flad) =-)

Jim in Flag
[subject]
Tuesday, August 07, 2018, 18:29 (2089 days ago) @ Jim in Flad

- No text -

the old model is more like a race horse, while

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, August 07, 2018, 19:18 (2089 days ago) @ Jim in Flad

the new model SBH is your work horse. In my humble opinion the old model is a bit fragile for the hot loads and heavy bullets.

Was not the stress on the OM the basis for the New SBH?

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, August 08, 2018, 09:31 (2088 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Then sometime around 1980, Kelly and I think Jones, began to pump up the .44 cast bullets to 270 gr. then 300, 320 gr. That even stresses the New SBH and I feel paved the way for a even stronger Red Hawk and others to manage these "heavy for caliber" deviations. NO doubt the 300 gr. projectile put the .44 Magnum into a new level of power, taking a back seat to nothing properly applied. However the old standard was not too shabby itself!

a good friend that worked for Ruger years ago, probably

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, August 08, 2018, 10:29 (2088 days ago) @ WB

mid 70s, told me they did the change due to lawsuits from idiots shooting themselves in the foot or worse carrying 6 in the cylinder.

You can;t fix stupid, and I an subject to some myself...

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, August 08, 2018, 11:20 (2088 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

but the designers designed a "safety notch" first click into the design. It lifts the firing pin off the chamber and has a very generous shelf on the hammer. You'd have to shear off the sear as I'd not think the hammer shelf would let go under force befitting an A.D. Also I note many Remington, Colt, and other cap & ball revolver had a design feature to carry all chambers loaded with a "hammer down notch" between them that locked the cylinder safely.

Not that I condone carrying that way, it's just an observation. If you are going to be stupid, you might stack the deck in your favor. I know one Misfit that actually shot themselves due to dropping a Ruger OM, I'll not tell their story. The Lord was sure watching out for them. Of all designs the FA M97 has the most ingenious transfer bar system I've ever examined (the M83 does not have one I don't believe). FWIW

It's been a human problem for at least 150 yrs.

THE GENERAL CONSENSUS IS

JT
[subject]
Tuesday, August 07, 2018, 21:27 (2089 days ago) @ Jim in Flad

THE NM IS STRONGER. I DON'T KNOW OF ANY CUSTOM 'SMITH USING THE OM FOR REALLY BIG POWERFUL CARTRIDGES.