I guess it's good for the boy...

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, June 20, 2018, 13:01 (2135 days ago)

For a young man to blow his first paycheck from his summer job. It's better than booty and beer, from my perspective. Roman spied this old beater in the local gunshop and the local boys showed no interest at all. I confess to ruing Roman at a early age with old beater Russian rifles that belched 3' plume of flame and horrendous racket. It was impressionable.

I got him a real sweet cash deal. The seller had no clue or care as to the non-import marks and for all he knew the DA feature was malfunctioning. Roman knew it was an Imperial Tula Arsenal enlisted man's arm with single-action only function. The hammer has no screw in the side for a three foot tell-tale. It is original finish, proper front sight, sight and cycles well, shootable bore, and only the lanyard is broken off in the butt. We should be able to fix that.

You can use .32-20 cases and .30 Carbine sizers to make ammo I'm told. That will be fun too. Sort of a cross between a .32 H&R and a .32-20. It's so goofy I find it interesting. It has Roman pouring over research and history so I has to be good. The numbers match and it has all sorts of interesting stamps. It pre-dates WWI and the Revolution so it has been around. Any 107 yr. old SA has to be interesting no matter where it came from.

Wrong button, pics

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, June 20, 2018, 13:02 (2135 days ago) @ WB

we'll spend some time together making ammo.

[image]

Way Cool

steve todd
[subject]
Wednesday, June 20, 2018, 13:50 (2135 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

You can spend a few days with one taking it apart, wondering

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, June 20, 2018, 14:06 (2135 days ago) @ steve todd

why did they do it that way, what were they thinking?! Anyway it is a sharing of interest with father and son. You have to embrace opportunities like this. Plus it is fun.

Roman's toy

geoff RATH
[subject]
Wednesday, June 20, 2018, 15:05 (2135 days ago) @ WB

Out here in Oz, waaay, waaay back, they were often used for shooting Olympic "centerfire" matches can be pretty accurate with decent loads.

32 Nagant... Lee did make a die sey to make brass...

Huey
[subject]
Wednesday, June 20, 2018, 13:52 (2135 days ago) @ WB

Few people were making cheap ammo for it. I passed on one like new and regret it.

I read some on the subject...

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, June 20, 2018, 14:03 (2135 days ago) @ Huey

He's itching to hear it go BANG! I simply sized some .32-20 and used the .32 H&R data, seating deep enough to clear the end of the cylinder. The bullets are a little fancy and a couple thou undersize. Russian bores are wildly varied anyway.

The Russians first use a new tool, it is way big, then as the tools wear it gets tighter, and tighter, until they are forced to change tooling. We Americans typically hold a little tighter tolerances. I used 4227 and the 90 gr. XTP Hornady, a little fancy but it should work to form some usable cases. Fiocchi has boxer ammo at $28/50, he will get some, the cases that "seal". I'd like to see that too.

I read one fellow that stated of the 1895 Nagant revolver; "Shoot on Sunday, Load it all week", LOL. Made me think of Jim Taylor.

[image]

OK, so what is it?

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, June 20, 2018, 13:03 (2135 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

He is spending his own money on his own education

Blake
[subject]
Wednesday, June 20, 2018, 15:54 (2135 days ago) @ WB

He will learn more on how to teach himself on such a venture
Than he would at any school. Good for both of you!

The man has class, well done.

Howard
[subject]
Wednesday, June 20, 2018, 17:41 (2135 days ago) @ Blake

- No text -

So what's next for Roman? A Webley? A Montenegrin?

ChrisG
[subject]
Thursday, June 21, 2018, 04:25 (2135 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

As typical, nothing Dad likes.... Lol

WB
[subject]
Thursday, June 21, 2018, 14:04 (2134 days ago) @ ChrisG

- No text -

I think that's a universal father / son thing.

ChrisG
[subject]
Thursday, June 21, 2018, 14:47 (2134 days ago) @ WB

- No text -