Scandium finish question

Dave H.
[subject]
Wednesday, June 13, 2018, 16:37 (7 days ago)

Picked up a S&W 340PD from an estate sale today. Born on date of 2009. It's been shot, but doesn't appear to have been abused. It also has some "handling marks," shall we say. I'm curious, and I have not reached out to S&W yet, if the finish can be restored? Anyone ever had a scandium frame refinished before?

I had a 325 scandium I purchased from Gary. It came from

SPB
[subject]
Wednesday, June 13, 2018, 17:49 (7 days ago) @ Dave H.

His hands A+. Fired standard 45 ACP and noticed two things , the finish is easily scuffed and it quickly began to show a wear groove where the cylinder pin dragged across the frame at the rear recoil shield on closing.

Someone else wanted it and I opted to bail out. Not sorry I did. I will stick with steel or a Glock. Just my experience ymmv.

That is some protective coating they use

WB
[subject]
Thursday, June 14, 2018, 06:53 (7 days ago) @ SPB

it is to prevent surface oxidation on the aluminum. S&W's Scadinum is simply aluminum with that Sc additive in it. The purpose is to make it much, much stronger than conventional alloys. It does for sure but it can still blow up like any gun if grossly abused. You will also notice a little stainless steel tab atop the forcing cone to protect from flame cutting the top strap. I'm certain with guns like Jim's .357 that really helps!

I have a SJ360 in .38 Special rather than the .357. I too see the protective finish getting thin with carry. They have a different type of patina. This lowers the used values but in no way hurts the serviceability. Probably the best "finish" to apply if you don't like the looks would be some of the late powder coat or dip painting they now do. It probably wouldn't hurt anything. I personally would hesitate to remove the factory coating though via bead blasting w/o some research on the matter. It might begin to chalk up with some type of corrosion. S&W does have "silver" or so called stainless versions, I figure these have some other type of coating.

Mine has been modified with a Tru-glo front sight and fancy (but painful) Alamont's stocks. I wanted one to look like the .22 WMR version PD351. I wish I had the .22 WMR version and may one day trade up, they are just silly expensive.

[image]

Scandium is stronger than aluminum but nowhere near as

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Thursday, June 14, 2018, 11:49 (6 days ago) @ WB

strong as steel, and like all other guns is not idiot proof. They have not been a real good seller for S&W due to the vicious recoil in one of the magnums. We have guys come into our gun shop and buy one for their wife in 357 magnum or larger and usually within 2 or 3 days they bring it back to trade it in for a heavier, steel revolver with less recoil. S&W's Scandium is looked upon like Ruger's LCR revolvers, very lightweight for carrying but a bitch to shoot and more recoil than most people are comfortable with.

I'd rather shoot a .475 LB than my .38+P and wood grips

WB
[subject]
Thursday, June 14, 2018, 14:12 (6 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

+1

Bob D
[subject]
Thursday, June 14, 2018, 16:26 (6 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

Kase bought one of the first 38 Spl LCR revolvers

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Thursday, June 14, 2018, 17:11 (6 days ago) @ Bob D

he shot one cylinder, handed it to me and told me where I could put that gun.

They seem to have a different recoil!

Larryh
[subject]
Thursday, June 14, 2018, 14:14 (6 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

I feel that they really "slap" your hand and give a little sting. Not for the faint of heart!

My 2 Cents

MWC
[subject]
Wednesday, June 13, 2018, 22:55 (7 days ago) @ Dave H.

It is a carry gun.

Period.

Will never be a mantle piece.

If it functions properly and

you shoot it well, then ya done

Good.

Mark

Had on in 41 Mag. Great packing gun. Just

Blake
[subject]
Thursday, June 14, 2018, 07:10 (7 days ago) @ MWC

Enjoy it as it was intended. For me I never worry about honest wear on a working/hunting gun.