A little change of recipe...

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, June 12, 2018, 13:53 (2138 days ago)

I could not source Federal #215 Mag. primers so I fell back to Winchester Magnum LR caps. The Federals I feel are the hottest you can get. They have a powdery purple on the inside making them easy to identify. The late Winchester Magnum rifle primers are green, a welcome assist. My powder for the largest magnums and cast bullets is a very slow burn and is not commercially available to the general public. A hot primer with the low drag of my cast bullets really help with the burn in my relatively short barrel. It's an easy load and I get over 2,000 fps in the Rigby for cheap practice. I know what old Elmer figured some 50 yrs. ago, but this is a little different. The slick cast bullets have little drag or resistance compared to a full jacketed slug and a hot cap helps burn more powder more efficiently *sometimes. Depends on the situation and the particular circumstances.

[image]

One problem I have to overcome you may have with some commercial powders in smaller calibers is "bridging". I have weighed each load but with this special powder small variations are of no huge concern. The larger the volume the less a small tenth of a grain or two variation usually effects. I make some special arrangements and visually check the cases for uniformity of the powder level. In this special instance the volumetric drops work acceptably. The RCBS powder measure is not too bad with the chunky stuff and good to just over 100 grs., maybe 105 if you ever went that high. Sometimes we do with Rigby and Nitro Express. I remove the little threaded "funnel" attachment and drop directly in to a funnel on each case.

[image]

Some folks flare the case mouths for cast bullets, and it is good for plain base versions. For gas check designs I find a generous "chamfering" of the case mouth is plenty. The 375 gr. NEI RNGC makes for some handsome practice loads. I'm sure they would work on game but I'd want to flatten the tips a little like Gary's .22 RF tool. It just seems to have more hit like SWC revolver bullets compared to RN.

[image]

[image]

The economy is fantastic and lets me fulfill my dream of really getting out and really shooting a .416 Rigby. I loaded 50 rnds. for this weekend, having made the cast bullets some time ago. I try to recover as much lead as possible, the gas checks and primers are about 5 cents each, the bulk powder was at a great discount too. Good cheap fun.

What surplus powders do you use and where do you get them?

bigboar
[subject]
Wednesday, June 13, 2018, 07:55 (2137 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

If I told you I'd have to kill you... Lol I'll PM you.

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, June 13, 2018, 10:37 (2137 days ago) @ bigboar

- No text -

WB won't tell you so I will. Go to www.gibrass.com

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Thursday, June 14, 2018, 15:53 (2136 days ago) @ WB

and there will be a lot of surplus powder in jugs from 5 lb to 8 lbs. The only down side is you have to order 6 jugs to waive the Haz Mat charges.

I bought 12 lbs. of the IMR7383

WB
[subject]
Thursday, June 14, 2018, 16:07 (2136 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

I'd be careful with it, too bulky for .223 size cases, did OK in .22-250 AI and medium cases (.243, 6mm, .270, .30-06) up to .338 Win. It can behave erratic so be careful. I could work up some loads for GNR ctgs. but with variations lot to lot they would not directly relate.

They had a run of military grade AA#7 and AA1680 that was real good a while back. I got some.

But it really has saved me some money since I shoot a bunch. Locally powder is running $30-35 per can then $0.09 local tax on the dollar. I do business local but I have to save where I can too.

WB like to experiment with powders that are not normal to

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Friday, June 15, 2018, 10:36 (2135 days ago) @ WB

certain loads. I don't have the time. I go with the powders that are the same as Unique, 1680, AA#9, AA#7, 296, H-110, and so on. Each lot varies especially military grade powder so I normally drop it 10% from what the equivalent commercial powder would be and work up. I have got some WC820 that is supposed to be the equivalent of H-110 but it was considerably hotter so I dropped it back 10% and it equaled H-110. Some lots are the same as AA#9. But they tell you in the data to drop your load a bit and work up. All in all it is a good way to save if you shoot a lot and we shoot around 1000 rounds a week here and 90% of that I load so the bulk powder saves us considerably.

It said it was like IMR4831, with a twist...

WB
[subject]
Friday, June 15, 2018, 18:45 (2135 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

Send to me too plz

Sal
[subject]
Wednesday, June 13, 2018, 13:02 (2137 days ago) @ WB

- No text -