Reloading question for a 8mmx.284

Tom S
[subject]
Monday, June 11, 2018, 10:51 (2117 days ago)

Just picked up a very nice Ruger No.1, in of all things a 8mmx284 because I like #1s and I have tons of 150gr 8mm bullets. Wasn't going to get it due to the price of special dies but there was a like new set on ebay for $19.95 from a closed down gunshop. I now have them. After checking loading manuals, publications and the internet there is essentially no 8mmx284 data. Some for .257x284, .30x284 but otherwise none. So I have to confirm it, but it seems the case capacity of the 8mmx.284 win case is about the same as that of a 8mm-06 case. I am contemplating using one of those published loads and working my way up from the bottom. Would you agree? Looking for your suggestions or approach. By any slight chance, do one of the misfits have a 8mmx.284 of their own they have worked up loads for? Thanks Tom

I deleted that post about figuring pressure by way of case

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, June 11, 2018, 11:48 (2117 days ago) @ Tom S

capacity. That may work for folks that have been into reloading for a good while but for folks that are new into reloading it can also get someone hurt.

I use case capacity a lot when developing new cartridges. If

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, June 11, 2018, 12:00 (2117 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

the case capacity is not a certain percentage over the parent case, the new version is not worth the time or expense. For instance the 405 case necked down to our 310 GNR is almost 20% more case capacity that a 30-06 case but that doesn't mean the load can be 20% more, nor does it mean the velocities will be 20% higher. It is just a reference point. But telling a new loader to refer to case capacity to develop his loads is just asking for trouble.

Understood about the relating case capacities

Tom S
[subject]
Monday, June 11, 2018, 12:46 (2117 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

as not one-for-one relationships but it does at times give a starting place. Just looking for a way to approach this with the absence of load info. It would be prudent to load it down. Maybe I will get lucky and someone will have experience with this load. It is an odd-ball to be sure. The most obscure I have dealt with to-date.

Do you tihnk it would be allowable to simply

WB
[subject]
Monday, June 11, 2018, 13:27 (2117 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

try starting loads for .284 Win. which is a 7mm-284 Win case (the original)and as such should have HIGHER pressures for any given load compared to a 8mm version. As you say like a water hose pinched down. That has been my way of thinking. Also "slower" and bulkier powders should be a safer alternative as they also should give lower pressures. That's IF you think looking at the .284 Win. starting data might be a good beginning for a well seasoned reloader flying alone.

Hopefully a newbie would never be enticed to such a thing. They have done about everything with that case from .22 to making .475 Wildey cases from it!

I wouldn't confuse people with the burning rate

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, June 11, 2018, 15:30 (2117 days ago) @ WB

of various powders. Most could give a flying fart about burning rates. That would be the last thing I would look at. If they don't know what powders to start with I would look at the powders that are in the reloading manuals for the base case and go from there. He could start with beginning data for the 284 and work up slowly from there. And watch for pressure signs.

I was working on data for our new 471 GNR over the weekend. Which is the 500 S&W necked down to 475. First I looked at the case capacity of the 475 Maximum which is pretty close. The new 471 GNR case capacity was 10 grains more capacity than the 475 Maximum so I felt I could go with the medium load on the 475 Max to start. I ended up with the max load for the 475 Max as a good working load for the 471 GNR with a 375 grain hard cast lead gas check bullet. And no Black Pete, it cannot be chambered in the Single Six.
In the pic below the 475 Maximum on the left, the 471 GNR fired case and an unfired, non fire formed 471 GNR round.
[image]

And the barrel and my data will be going to Sean for a full work up and data.

Sorry I meant within the listed data... UR right.

WB
[subject]
Monday, June 11, 2018, 16:33 (2117 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

Gary, is the new 471 GNR ready to go?

charlie A
[subject]
Monday, June 11, 2018, 16:43 (2117 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

no, it will be a while yet. Sean has to do his work

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, June 11, 2018, 17:30 (2117 days ago) @ charlie A

on the load data and the dies are in process, which usually means 6 weeks or so. Hang in there.

see if you can find some load data for the 30/284

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, June 11, 2018, 14:13 (2117 days ago) @ Tom S

that would give you a place to start.

7.5x55 = 30x284

jsh
[subject]
Monday, June 11, 2018, 19:16 (2117 days ago) @ Tom S

7.5x55 data for the K31 Swiss rifle may be found a bit easier.