I love old gun and hunting books. Especially small game...

Huey
[subject]
Friday, May 25, 2018, 16:18 (2156 days ago)

Books.

So much attention to the African and other big game. I feel sportsmen are overlooking lots of fun neglecting small game.

Added this 1948 First Printing today...
[image]

most of it is because we grew up hunting small game like

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Friday, May 25, 2018, 17:17 (2156 days ago) @ Huey

squirrels and rabbits and such. I still hunt small game but the excitement and challenge is just not there anymore. And as I get older the urge to kill stuff I don't eat is just not there. The lack of a challenge is the main reason I only hunt with a handgun. There is a challenge in hunting big game whereas it is lacking in hunting small game. The chance to hunt a Cape Buffalo with a single shot handgun was something I had looked forward to for years. And it was a really satisfying feeling to finally do it, especially it being such a big ill tempered bastard. But if John had pointed out Impalas, Duikers, Blesbok and such I probably wouldn't have taken the shot. I have shot at least half a dozen of each of them. The challenge and excitement just isn't there anymore. This is speaking for me only and probably doesn't work for the next person.

But most, if not all, of my hunting is free range...

Huey
[subject]
Friday, May 25, 2018, 17:32 (2156 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

I realize the game ranches' propaganda says free range, but...

I can assure you when the squirrels take all your pears, the rabbits eat your blueberry stems, raccoons catch your fish and so on, the urge comes back rapidly.

My mother at 77 loves her revolvers...

Huey
[subject]
Friday, May 25, 2018, 17:37 (2156 days ago) @ Huey

She absolutely hates little furry critters messing up here 4+ acre yard.

She prefers the poly tip 22 Mags in her 5" Taurus 941 eight shot. No record of the critters she has killed with that gun.

She really has no sympathy on two or four legged critters.

Pecan orchard

Alcorn
[subject]
Friday, May 25, 2018, 20:28 (2155 days ago) @ Huey

I love to kill squirrels, OPOSSUM, and raccoons in my pecan orchard with my Win. 9422M. One of the few rifles I can kill something with. (Bad shoulder)

that is different. That is the urge to kill, not the urge

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Friday, May 25, 2018, 17:49 (2156 days ago) @ Huey

to hunt. To me there is a lot of difference.