How do you guys check headspace?...

Huey
[subject]
Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 12:11 (2171 days ago)

Simple methods of course.

I usually seat a primer and fire it in an empty case. If there's headspace the primer backs out.

Have read a few internet authorities have had problems with Ruger #1s in 9.3x62 not firing due to deep chambers. Like most posted bs, it was wrong. Mine is just fine.

why would I? That takes someone pretty anal to

Charlie Anderson`
[subject]
Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 12:42 (2171 days ago) @ Huey

worry about that. That would put me in the category of a wannabe gunsmith like all the experts on the net. That would be the same as me saying I am smarter than the real gunsmiths at S&W or Ruger. I buy a gun to enjoy, not take totally apart and tell everyone I am smarter than the gunsmith that built it.

Well, suppose there are many reasons...

Huey
[subject]
Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 12:57 (2171 days ago) @ Charlie Anderson`

Not only can there certainly be problems with nice new guns, but also used and surplus guns.

Then the gun may be just fine. Gary and I have both experienced problems with certain dies and factory new brass.

So, it doesnt always come down to being anal or thinking I know more than Ruger or S&W.

It just comes down to knowing I can always learn something new. Clearly, not everybody is as willing to learn or try to learn.

Perhaps Facebook would be better suited to the arrogant.

Headspace; 3 different ways I have used:

DeLoss
[subject]
Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 14:52 (2171 days ago) @ Huey

1. go no go gauges from Brownell's. 2.Stoney Point/Hornady Headspace Gauge bushing set. 3. Cerrosafe also at Brownell's. Used to make a chamber cast,it has a very low melting point and easy to use.

Thanks DeLoss. Im going to check out those...

Huey
[subject]
Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 15:07 (2171 days ago) @ DeLoss

Hornady gauges. Just got a new Hornady catalog today.

I kinda have to agree with Brent and Charlie. I have

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Thursday, May 17, 2018, 09:48 (2170 days ago) @ Huey

never felt the need to check the headspace on a new gun. And as far as I can remember we have never got a new gun in from any company that required me to do any headspace work. And not to start any arguments but there is really no valid reason to check the headspace on any new gun.

Puffy told me he had friend that did that to every gun he bought. he took it totally apart and checked every part to see if they were up to his expectations. Puff said he also had a high dollar BMW motorcycle and every time he rode it, he took it completely apart and hand rubbed down every part and checked every part all the way down to the tiny springs.

Checking the headspace on a new gun is sorta like that to me. Whatever floats your boat but I wonder what have you accomplished? And if the headspace should be off in that very rare occurrence, then what do you do? Send it back to the factory and wait 6 months to get it back.

Checking headspace is a good way to waste time and I don't have the time to waste. But whatever blows up your skirt. Just my personal opinion.

Dont feel like its arguing, but I've had issues...

Huey
[subject]
Thursday, May 17, 2018, 10:01 (2170 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

With new guns. Bought a Contender 223 Rem once that was chambered so deep it wouldn't fire. Sent the barrel back and they replaced it.

I was just searching for ways others done the checks.

like I said whatever blows up your skirt

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Thursday, May 17, 2018, 10:28 (2170 days ago) @ Huey

- No text -

MOST IF NOT ALL SIXGUNS WILL ALLOW AN EMPTY CASE

JT
[subject]
Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 12:53 (2171 days ago) @ Huey

WITH ONLY A PRIMER TO BACK OUT AND TIE UP THE GUN. THAT IS WHY BLANKS NEED A LARGER HOLE FOR THE FLASH.

Yep, Ive had that with revolvers too...

Huey
[subject]
Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 12:59 (2171 days ago) @ JT

Thats why I started using this method for rifles and TCs.

Have seen a few misfires due to this issue.

Thanks for replying.

I don’t worry too much about head space unless my cases

Brent Foy
[subject]
Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 17:54 (2171 days ago) @ Huey

Aren’t lasting very long before they start getting a grove around the inside of the case close to the head or the cases start separating. I made a small tool to feel the inside groove and it’s pretty easy to tell how bad they are with just a little practice. I know this doesn’t measure your head space, but it can help you figure out if it’s bad enough to have a gunsmith look at it. I use it mostly to tell if my cases have been reloaded too many times. If you get a grove the first or second load you probably have a problem. Some cartridges don’t last as long as others, my 257 Raptor I get six or seven reloads before a grove starts to form, others two or three. [image]

I missed a photo.

Brent Foy
[subject]
Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 18:00 (2171 days ago) @ Brent Foy