.44 Magnum

Tom
[subject]
Friday, April 20, 2018, 18:41 (2169 days ago)

Anyone here who wouldn't hesitate to carry a .44 magnum in bear habitat here in the lower 48? Trying to make arrangements for some fly fishing in Montana. Just would like to be prepared and have something compact and easy to carry and have in a tent vs my .45-70. Thinking it most likely would be my 4 5/8" SBH in a chest holster.

I would think the load you use would be part

Grover Sr
[subject]
Friday, April 20, 2018, 18:57 (2169 days ago) @ Tom

Of the deciding factor. I saw a National Geographic article many years ago where to Arctic exp!orers were stalked by a Polar Bear and killed it with a neck shot from a 4" Model 29. Personally, I think I would want something more potent if I had to defend myself from a grizzly. Probably a !ot more to consider and you will get good info from other misfits.

I'd be OK with it, or should we tell you to buy a new gun?

Howard
[subject]
Friday, April 20, 2018, 19:22 (2169 days ago) @ Tom

- No text -

(37) documented incidents

backroadsrambler
[subject]
Friday, April 20, 2018, 20:57 (2169 days ago) @ Tom

https://bit.ly/2HPUN9H
From personal experience: they are much, much faster than you'd ever believe until it happens to you. IE, practice, practice, practice drawing & firing. And practice from your back as you may get knocked completely off your feet. From time in Alaska, spoke to many, all said same thing -- penetration is key and *always* have it with you, ALWAYS! Their chest has a thick gristle layer that will stop many handgun rounds including standard .44 Magnum JHP loads most of us have hunted with. I'd suggest a potent, heavy for caliber cast load ('Punch' & 'Hawk' loads are good too). I & others have used these proven loads in the field: garrettcartridges.com/44mag.html & grizzlycartridge.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=catshow&ref=44mag. Others have used BuffaloBore's to good effect, I just don't have experience with them & and don't personally know anyone who has. If you start being in bear country regular, get a .500 Linebaugh. Truly carryable, operate at a 'pleasant' 30,000 psi v. the nasties at 50,000+ & are conducive to the real practice necessary (mid-range 950fps 410-440 grain load is fully sufficient)...

I think Gary's a fan of the Mossberg Shockwave for that?

ChrisG
[subject]
Saturday, April 21, 2018, 04:38 (2169 days ago) @ Tom

And he builds revolvers that will kill anything. To me that says a lot.

having danced with 3 bears in the past, my

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Saturday, April 21, 2018, 10:25 (2169 days ago) @ Tom

recommendation is don't go into the woods with any revolver less than a 475 Linebaugh. I shot one bear twice at pointblank range with my hot loaded 510 GNR in Alaska, both rounds went all the way thru him and he ran off and I had to go in the heavy brush after him. A pissed off bear is hard to kill. The pic below is my 510 GNR covered in blood (the bear's blood) after 2 close range shots (less than a foot away from him).
[image]