Someone may have asked before, wasn't paying attention

WB
[subject]
Thursday, April 19, 2018, 16:58 (2192 days ago)

I have been looking at higher magnification scopes for my .416 Rigby seeking long range precision over the current 1.5-5X. I've settled on a max low magnification of 4x, that does fine even at 25 yds. The upper end I'd like 12,14, or 16X and no larger than 44mm or so objective.

One scope I have in hand to test is a Vortex Diamondback 4-16X. It has one of those new fangled side parallax(?), which I see as an extra thing to mess up. Overall it seems bright, crisp, and robust. I do like the 4" eye relief that does not change from 4x all the way to 16X, a rarity. It's not cheap at around $350 most places. What are the field reports for these?

The Vortex

Kantos Krieg
[subject]
Thursday, April 19, 2018, 17:09 (2192 days ago) @ WB

"Strike Eagle" line has a 3-18 if you really want magnification. The 1-8 has a "tactical" reticle but the circle would make for fast shots, and the ladder/tree for bullet drop may correlate to your bullet drops.

They aren't the most expensive of their line, but are pretty clear. I like the 1-8 for AR work as well as hunting stuff.

They have a 2-10 Viper PST gen II which is first focal plane and would make a great all around scope. A bit pricy for some, about a G.

Vortex has really started to impress me. KK

It's a bit alarming that many American

WB
[subject]
Thursday, April 19, 2018, 17:24 (2192 days ago) @ Kantos Krieg

and German old time makers have turned to Asia for at least some major cost saving components. Zeiss, and Leupold to name two. But They insist it is a priority to maintain quality standards no matter the component's origin. The Zeiss Conquest line was made in part in Czechoslovakia until that began to cost too much. Now they have a new line with parts sourced elsewhere. Many famous makers have followed suit.

Every maker seems to have at least a 4-5 level line of product that you have to sort through that runs from economy to top line product. The colorful names are little help and pricing overlaps. Even before going to a vendor for a personal inspection I have to do vast research and make a list, otherwise I'd risk getting lost at the display counter. Usually assisted by a over helpful and under informed salesperson. Clarity, ruggedness, special fitment considerations, eye relief, it's all difficult to pull together with 4-5 laying on a counter.

Scotty, check out the Nikon Slughunter...

Huey
[subject]
Thursday, April 19, 2018, 17:27 (2192 days ago) @ WB

Not the shotgun hunter. The Slughunter has 5"+ eye relief.

Looks good, I'll have to check the body

WB
[subject]
Thursday, April 19, 2018, 17:46 (2192 days ago) @ Huey

as I have a long distance between rings and the body may be too short. I once tried one of those set back rings but happened to bend it. I'm less excited by those these days.

I feel I have to throw this in here. We have had more

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Thursday, April 19, 2018, 17:26 (2192 days ago) @ Kantos Krieg

problem scopes from Vortex than all the other brands combined. And everyone of them were sold by Sportsman's Warehouse here in town. Because of that we no longer carry Vortex.

I thought I remembered something about that.

WB
[subject]
Thursday, April 19, 2018, 17:40 (2192 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

I have one to test for free. I feel in general today's scopes, like cars, have too many new goo-gaws on them that can malfunction. We got along a very long time without them. I know, I know some things may be good or handy. But I'm personally turned off by modern scopes with all the exposed MOA indices, complex busy reticles, and 1" tall turrets. Several knobs that formerly were not on most scopes.

Maybe I'm falling into being an old curmudgeon. But I only have to please ME.

Im sinple too. Use their base line Crossfire models....

Huey
[subject]
Thursday, April 19, 2018, 17:44 (2192 days ago) @ WB

And so far, not a problem.

They are the clearest for my eyes. Have several #1s that wear them. G2 Carbines too.

Ill post if I ever have any issues.

Agree Scotty.

SPB
[subject]
Thursday, April 19, 2018, 19:13 (2192 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

I could be happy with a fixed 4x where I hunt.

Brant
[subject]
Thursday, April 19, 2018, 20:47 (2192 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

You're gonna get me in trouble, but...

Huey
[subject]
Thursday, April 19, 2018, 17:09 (2192 days ago) @ WB

Ive got nine or ten of them. At this point prefer over Nikon.

Just bought another one for the new Ruger #1 30-30 WCF.

I have yet to encounter any issues. But, that is just me.

unless you plan on shooting gound squirrels with your 416,

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Thursday, April 19, 2018, 17:48 (2192 days ago) @ WB

you are never going to need more than a 4X or 5X. If you go to a 12X or higher your eye relief is going to be so short you are going to have a third eyebrow every time you pull the trigger. Dave Martin, one of my hunting friends went with me in '95 with a 416 Remington and a 4X12 scope. He tried running it on 12X and got cut every time he pulled the trigger. Even down to 9X he still got hit.

I'm confused. I happen to agree with Gary on the

Woody
[subject]
Thursday, April 19, 2018, 18:04 (2192 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

big scope theory and the Vortex quality issue. LOTS of them get sent back time and again for the "no fault" warranty coverage. "no fault" for a damned good reason. As the saying goes...only rich people can afford cheap. A 200.00 dollar scope on a 1000.00 rifle. Not for me, anyways. I don't want quality...I demand it.

Well, Im not confused at all...

Huey
[subject]
Thursday, April 19, 2018, 18:14 (2192 days ago) @ Woody

Have some on rifles that cost way more than that.

Feel blessed to be able to have both rifles and scopes.

Clearly, a very personal choice and we should all buy and enjoy what we want.

Good points, I've been cut, a .308 788 Rem.!!!

WB
[subject]
Thursday, April 19, 2018, 18:59 (2192 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

I need more than 5x, with my vision, for pie plate bullet placement off sticks at 200 yds. The old hit a barn door, aim for the knothole principal. Even if you miss you still hit the door. I'm just playing around with options. I set out to maintain a 4" eye relief at max power. There are a couple I've seen that actually keep it the same as you crank it up. That Vortex is one and Doug's Zeiss Conquest is another.

The .416 is a Reeder custom and kicks no more than a 7 Mag. You still could get yourself. Remember Firman's Leopard?! It blooded him but good. Lol

Scotty, i think the Leupold Vari-x 11 2x7 has been....

Jeff Spencer
[subject]
Thursday, April 19, 2018, 18:37 (2192 days ago) @ WB

mentioned here before, has served me well on my Browning A-Bolt Composite Stalker in .338 mag. Seems like plenty of magnification for me, light in weight, and also long eye relief.

I have 1 Vortex PST 2-10 that has been good on AR

Brent Clark
[subject]
Thursday, April 19, 2018, 20:44 (2192 days ago) @ WB

When I was looking it seemed clearest to my eyes. No problems but we’re not talking much recoil and I’m not hard on stuff. I’ve heard both sides so can’t say anything else definitively. It works for prairie dogs.

Scotty, I would think a 2-7x in the 30mm

jthomson
[subject]
Thursday, April 19, 2018, 20:51 (2192 days ago) @ WB

tube would be the most you would every need on the 416 and that only to get more light and better sight. I always shot my on 4x. but what ever power you decide to shoot, sight in the gun at that power, hell just set the one you have on 5x and leave it there. you will probably never notice the difference

FWIW, I have a Burris Black Diamond

Larry Fry
[subject]
Thursday, April 19, 2018, 21:01 (2192 days ago) @ WB

4X16X50 30mm scope on my 300 winmag. Superb optics for clarity and I have not cut a eyebrow or cheek yet! I think it is a little much for 416 rigby as I could never see you using the high end of the magnification for anything practical. I use the parallax feature by setting it on infinite and leaving it there. At close ranges I have not experienced any parallax worth mentioning and at long ranges (600+) yards, parallax could make a difference if it weren't for the wind, difference in height etc, etc, etc. LOL. I love mine but it is NOT a cheap scope. I think I would go with a good fixed 4X and just practice at different ranges just to see where impact is. Of course this is just my opinion, but if you want to do real long distance shooting get a .408 cheytac or a good 338 Lapua Mag and put a Nightforce scope on it and really spend some money. I have seen outfits that cost over 18 to 20 grand at long range shoots. Best laugh I have had in a long time was a young lady about 25 or 26 or so got on the range next to a "Mall Ninja" with Barrett 82 with a Nightforce scope and the BOSS system installed. Range was 800 yards. The young Miss had a Winchester Mod 70 in a 308 with a Leupold Gold Ring scope and no electronics. Beat the dude hands down in a shoot off. Just a little Thursday night humor to help end the day......