Something interesting to chew on.

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, March 21, 2018, 13:23 (2221 days ago)

*This is an interesting one time test I thought you would find interesting. A good friend sent it to me to mull over. It supports the efficiency of many of the GNR cartridges design characteristics. My own thoughts is how does recoil fall into this? Backthrust surely would play a role?! Gary has made some 9.3X74R barrels and says they are mean and nasty compared to his .350 GNR, .366, and .378 GNR. The 9.3x74R is very tapered....just saying.

NO Arguing just some fun food for thought. If you REALLY want to know the folks who thought this up you can PM me.

(Cut and pasted from Email) - SB

Just my two cents worth on BACKTHRUST......

The Test: Since I do a lot of rechamberings on the T/C Contenders, this is what involved the main area of testing. I took several barrels that I had, to the range where a friend and I had built a "stand" to hold a special vice and fixture that we had made specifically for the testing of these Contender barrels. The barrels were locked into this fixture WITHOUT the use of a frame. A "firing device" that was attached to each barrel, via the rear mounting holes in place of a scope base.

The first test involved firing the 30-30 Ackley Improved. With no case head support what so ever, a round was fired and it was found that there was "0" rearward movement of the case! All loads tested were full power hunting and target loads, with the chamber wiped out with alcohol and dried, before the next round was fired. Everything had to be exact, round after round. The test was repeated five times for each cartridge listed. All 5 30-30 Improved cartridges showed "0" backwards movement....

The next test involved the 250 Savage Ackley Improved. Again, all 5 cartridges showed "0" rearward movement when they were fired and two of the cases were actually .002 "deeper" in the chamber after they were fired than before. Reason being, the strike of the firing mechanism had sufficient enough force to drive them further into the chamber....

Next in line was the 7mm T/CU. Same thing as the rest. NO REARWARD MOVEMENT - meaning, absolute ZERO BACKTHRUST!!!

Next came the 35 Remington. well, this was a horse of a different color. This case shot out of the chamber end so fast, that it removed my "firing mechanism" with it! I went back and made another one, with slight modifications. I fired off the other four rounds and they all "shot" out the chamber end as well. I set up a piece of pine 2X12 three feet behind the chamber when I went to fire off the last round and that case blew right through it!!!

The next round to be fired was the good ole 30-30 Winchester. It did exactly the same as the 35 Remington! I decided to set my chronograph up behind the chamber to see if I could get a reading on these "projectiles" coming out of the chamber end. I did, it did and I clocked that sucker moving out at 1900 fps!!!

Next was the standard 250 Savage. This was the only one I tried factory ammo in. All of the others were handloads that were developed for those barrels and all of them had the bullets out to touch the rifling. I did shoot two handloads in the 250 Savage as well but all tests were the same. All of the 250 Savage loads exited the "chamber end" at well in excess of 2,000 fps....

I have found that it all boils down to this: if you have a clean and dry chamber and an "Improved" case, meaning "minimum body taper", that when the round is fired, you transmit next to zero or zero backthrust against the frame or bolt! Cases that have a "taper", will always transmit a heavy backthrust against the frame or bolt! How much backthrust it transmits will depend on the taper of the case. Naturally, the greater the taper, the greater the pounding....

Like I said, this is just my two cents worth. I learn something new every day and learned alot in performing these tests. It has helped me alot in the design and development of my own wildcat cartridges....

P.S.
I apologize for not mentioning the primer! I had my notes with me beside the computer and somehow over looked them.

Of cases that had been fireformed and fired one other time, the primer had backed out of the "improved" cases anywhere from .012 to .080 of an inch! Cases that had been loaded half a dozen times or so and the primer pockets not quite as snug, probably 90% of them blew completely out of the case! With a piece of 3/8 inch ply wood set up a foot behind the barrel, half of the primers blew completely through it. A lot of them were protruding out the back side and were easy to pull out with bare fingers....

We thought of this before we ever fired the first round. Getting hit by one of these "primer" bullets, would be like being shot with a 22 rifle!!!

I have checked the lug thickness on different rifles that I have built for different customers, namely the ones that shoot a lot, and it is amazing to note the lug "compression" on say a 300 H&H vs. even a much larger round like the 30-378. Even with the larger case head diameter and much higher pressures of the 30-378 case, the 300 H&H was still harder on the locking lugs than the much larger Weatherby case....

Case taper most defiantly plays a huge role where "backthrust" is concerned....

WB, I think the test was to demonstrate...

RA
[subject]
Wednesday, March 21, 2018, 14:14 (2221 days ago) @ WB

the back thrust directed toward a Contender frame by tapered cartridges versus straight walled cartridges or one of an improved design. The end goal is to choose a cartridge that is less abusive to the frame (especially a G1). I doubt there is any difference in the felt recoil of two cartridges similar in performance but one being tapered and the other straight walled. Just thinking.

A tapered case pushing 2000 fps force on the breech face?!

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, March 21, 2018, 14:38 (2221 days ago) @ RA

Where the "non-tapered" has no push at all. Just had me wondering. Would really be easier on the gun. Note at bottom referencing bolt action lug compression. Sounded interesting considering a reliable ctg. for extended use.

Even though the "non-tapered" case has little or no push on

RA
[subject]
Wednesday, March 21, 2018, 14:58 (2221 days ago) @ WB

the frame, it's recoil would be absorbed by the barrel and then the barrel would transfer that recoil to the frame through the hinge pin and other contact areas. In a bolt action the back thrust (with a non-tapered case) would be more on the action and less on the bolt. What do you think?

You are right, the info is so dramatic I got excited.

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, March 21, 2018, 18:31 (2221 days ago) @ RA

I'm not sure what to do with it. lol

perhaps the reason for an increase

Todd C
[subject]
Wednesday, March 21, 2018, 16:59 (2221 days ago) @ WB

in perceived recoil is with the tapered case the unburnt/partially burnt powder is being pushed/puked out the case as an increased ejecta ( projectile ) as it still has mass and hasn't transformed into gasses yet. Whereas a sharp shouldered case attenuates a portion of the powder column, thus eliminating part of the "ejecta" and holding the powder in the case longer until it transitions into propellant gases.
Take .070 off the diameter of any cylinder and you have a great reduction in the capacity, thereby the "ejecta plug" is far smaller and less mass to add to recoil.

Off topic. Do have a website set up? Would like to buy some.

Jeff Spencer
[subject]
Wednesday, March 21, 2018, 17:36 (2221 days ago) @ Todd C

more of your excellent cast bullets.

Yes, I wish I could get some 250gr GC .401” bullets

O’ Gary
[subject]
Wednesday, March 21, 2018, 17:44 (2221 days ago) @ Jeff Spencer

- No text -

I can attest the bullet design is tops!

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, March 21, 2018, 18:30 (2221 days ago) @ O’ Gary

A great heavier alternative for the .401 GNR and would do perfect in the .400 GNR too.

[image]

[image]

I have some with bullets and data for the 401 based GNR 's,

Sean Harper
[subject]
Thursday, March 22, 2018, 10:38 (2220 days ago) @ O’ Gary

email me your addy I will get some out to you.
The 230gr WFNGC are .401 the 255gr WFNGC are .411 sized down to .401" if you want some.
email : spharper at sbcglobal dot net

Sean

I would like to see a picture of the "firing device"?

JPL
[subject]
Wednesday, March 21, 2018, 18:25 (2221 days ago) @ WB

I'm having a hard time picturing it in my head.

After reading your post I was

John W
[subject]
Thursday, March 22, 2018, 03:18 (2220 days ago) @ WB

cogitating on this concept.

Recall my earlier post of a used older TC Contender with a Super 14 barrel in 35 Remington.

I compared the 35 Remington and other rounds in the 35 caliber family. According to what has been posted Gary's 355 GNR is pushing a 180 grain bullet at 2300 and a 200 grain at 2200+ out of a 12 inch barrel. I am going to assume that a 14 inch barrel will gain maybe 50 to possibly 100 feet per second in velocity.

This puts the round in league with the old 356 Winchester rifle. I recall when this round came out with the 30 Winchester it was touted as better than sliced bread.

I am thinking this would be a great medium and possibly large game round. Not too hand punishing but powerful enough for deer, bear, antelope, wild hog and possibly push it in the elk and moose class.

I read of an old wildcat the Eastern hunters dreamed up

WB
[subject]
Thursday, March 22, 2018, 06:49 (2220 days ago) @ John W

It was to rebore the old worn .32 Winchester Specials to .35 cal. It is basically an unrefined version of Gary's .355 GNR. Of course it was only for the old lever action carbines too. There is an old article in the Handloader magazine you might research.

The .355 GNR would be a very sound idea for the Contender. Smaller head area, strong case, straight profile for less concentrated forces on the gun, and improved efficiency. What's not to like?

I am rethinking some stuff, so to speak.

John W
[subject]
Thursday, March 22, 2018, 15:18 (2220 days ago) @ WB

I have a 14" 375 JDJ and a Super 16 45-70. Both kick on each end.

I recall reading an old specialty publication from Shooting Times on Handgun Hunting . I believe it was Dick Metcalf who wrote the story. It was about hunting mule deer and antelope. He used a 375 JDJ on both if I am not mistaken.

I am thinking that the 355 with a 180 grain bullet would be ideal for most North American game without punishing your hand all that much. Also it would not beat the frame as much

I've had a couple of JD's barrels but

WB
[subject]
Friday, March 23, 2018, 06:13 (2219 days ago) @ John W

Even mag-na-ported they whacked my knuckles. It's about more than I want to mess with, performance or not. I have a .35 on the full length .444 run up a .358 win sizer. Ugly looking ctg. but works ok, I shorten the necks to .358 length making them .356 Win.

I feel the .308 case head size is on the large side for the Contender unless you watch pressures and keep them backed off. That's why I like the slightly smaller .30/30 case custom cartridges. The .355 is an easy sound one. The performance of the .35 Rem rifles are legendary and that's what the .355 GNR handgun produces easily.

Interesting observation from today's shooting

Mike Casselton
[subject]
Thursday, March 22, 2018, 14:00 (2220 days ago) @ WB

I finally got out to the range today with a brace of pistols.
The first one I shot was the 41 mag Gary refinished for me.
I was shooting a 210gr XTP over a max load of H-110.
The first cylinder full seemed to have excessive recoil with a lot of barrel rise.
When I pushed the cases out of the cylinder I noticed a lot of soot and what appeared to be oil.
Oh,crap! It was oil. I had forgotten to run a couple of dry patches through it.

Cleaned it out and loaded it back up. Shot six more and it felt like it was completely normal again.
The second set of cases came out clean. I inspected the cases further and also noticed that the primers on the first set were flattened almost completely. The second set were normal.

I know someone will ask so here goes.
All cases are from the same lot. Primers, bullets and powder also the same lot.
All cases were loaded the same day and during identical atmospheric conditions.
(I used to run an ammunition facility, so I actually know what I'm doing)

So, why am I posting this?

Well, after reading Scotty's information about cartridge thrust, I have to believe the oil in the chamber caused the recoil condition and also the severely flattened primers. I have no other explanation for this happening. I know the powder measure didn't throw the wrong charge. I check it before and after. My scale is correct.
The only odd thing is oil in the cylinder. Once it was removed the problem went away.

Just more food for thought

It's fun to ponder for sure. Love it.

WB
[subject]
Thursday, March 22, 2018, 21:09 (2219 days ago) @ Mike Casselton

- No text -