Ruger 30 Carbine

Grover Sr
[subject]
Tuesday, March 20, 2018, 14:12 (2227 days ago)

LGS has a blackhawk 30 carbine at what appears to be a good price $350. What have the misfits been rechambering these to?

Of late the .321 GNR or .30/.357 case

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, March 20, 2018, 14:38 (2227 days ago) @ Grover Sr

It's well worth it as is. Check out the current American Handgunner magazine. Mr. Taffin's contributions are truly great and worth the price of the reading alone. It includes a Reeder sourced .30 Carbine BH highlighted, article. Factory Ruger .30 Carbine barrels are 16.5:1 twist and great for bullets to 115 gr. If you really want to go wild get a full package Reeder conversion with a 12:1 tube that Gary uses. I've even shot 170 gr. from teh .300 GNR for a goof!

Lovely guns as they are.

Got my .300 GNR with its new .327 Fed. cylinder in today

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, March 20, 2018, 16:33 (2227 days ago) @ WB

I had given it to Gary at HHC and forgot. I had been searching for it in my safe. LOL I'm glad someone had it. Roman had to go out and try a few. It shoots .327 and also did fine with .32 ACP, so it should work fine with anything in between. I've been wanting a full sized .327 Federal platform. The classic OM (un-converted) on a 4-digit .30 Carbine chassis (#8145 ORG!) fills the bill just fine.

My very special .300 GNR, .327 Fed.,.32 H&R, .32 Long, .32 S&W, .32 ACP Reeder Custom with Amish hand made Reeder scoped handgun holster.
[image]

Another one bites the dust!

ORG
[subject]
Tuesday, March 20, 2018, 17:31 (2227 days ago) @ WB

And a four-digit, at that.

That said, AFAIC the 327 is just a rimmed .30 Carbine and/or a straight-wall .32-20. Evolution, I'd say.

Ah, well . . . your gun, your money, your choice.

It was a long time ago and no finish

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, March 20, 2018, 18:54 (2227 days ago) @ ORG

It was found in a Pawn Shop in Heber Springs, AR. I think I had $300 in it. No rust but no finish either. I shot a few .30 Carbine out of it and it shot great but what blast! I had some reservations about rifle primers in the factory and military ammo.

I was all hopped up for a unusual custom and had the bug. Gary got me set up with a full custom package. I got a heavy barrel in a rifle twist. He did some very special engraving for me. The cylinder was about half the cost of a new .327 gun so no new holsters or stuff to go find. It is drilled and tapped for the Leupold base too. Not original but something special for sure.

I have taken two sheep with it in .300 GNR.

I really like that one. Sharp looking shooter.

Gus S.
[subject]
Wednesday, March 21, 2018, 06:14 (2226 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

Just curious, what type and diameter bullets are you using?

JPL
[subject]
Wednesday, March 21, 2018, 06:59 (2226 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

Gary uses .308" rifle blanks for the full custom package

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, March 21, 2018, 08:24 (2226 days ago) @ JPL

so they are .308-.309" bullets typically and sport a much faster twist than the factory Ruger .30 Carbine tube (according to Layne Simpson 16 1/2 inches per full turn). I figure Gary uses 12:1 if he even knows himself. However, with the style of custom barrel throating used on these special guns (Maxi-throating) you can easily shoot .312" bullets to excellent effect. I've not checked the chamber throats as of yet (I will with pin gauges) but as long as they are "big enough" I don't worry much. IF the bullet escapes the throats at .311,.312, whatever it gets funneled through an exaggerated "forcing cone" that aligns the bullet before it actually engages the rifling and starts building pressure. This would have an effect of sizing it down some anyway. When it actually hits the .308 bore it will go down just fine. Obviously one needs to pay attention to see any undue pressure signs, but you do that anyway.

It's exactly like the Weatherby rifle chambers. The bullet moves forward increasing compression volume and lowers pressure. In effect making the cartridge longer from a pressure perspective. I have noted some revolvers have NO forcing cone or throating at all. My FA94 in .224-.32FA did not. But that's what makes it fun.

Not to tell you how to build a watch but both the .30 Carbine Ruger and Custom Reeder .300/.327 barrels are .308 bores. Ditto any TC or Dan Wesson ".32" you will encounter.

[image]

$350 is a steal!

Steve W
[subject]
Tuesday, March 20, 2018, 19:43 (2227 days ago) @ Grover Sr

- No text -