Just got back from BEE school this evening

WB
[subject]
Monday, March 12, 2018, 20:02 (2208 days ago)

It's not only remarkable what Bees do but how folks could figure it all out to the point of apparent fact. I cannot fathom a person studying the subject to any large degree and not seeing that it validates God the creator. Quite decisively through science too. Simply amazing.

It's a 9 hr. class sponsored but the University of Arkansas and done in (3) 3 hr. sessions per week. I bought some books a couple years ago but it only made me realize how little I knew and how far I needed progress to learn. To just jump in and give it a try could easily blow a couple hundred on a pair of hives of bees, not to mention about $300-$500 for materials. You (me for sure) need to plan ahead to have a secure chance.

I noted at HHC up at Alan's Sheep ranch, the high pasture above the old house ruins, there is a field across the way. It must have had a hundred hives in it! It got my attention. I may give it a whirl soon. Almost too late this season for Arkansas for a newbie, with my slow start. Not much room for error and recovery.

I never noticed the hives...I’ll have to remember to look!

Drdougrx
[subject]
Monday, March 12, 2018, 20:13 (2208 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

It's sort of behind the shale pit at the top of the hill.

WB
[subject]
Monday, March 12, 2018, 21:07 (2208 days ago) @ Drdougrx

Forget the crop that was in it, maybe beans? Sort of between that shale quarry and the old house ruins, but on the other side of the road.

Alan had several hives behind the new outdoor pavilion and the new construction, toward Granny's house.

My Dad had bees all my life...

Huey
[subject]
Monday, March 12, 2018, 20:19 (2208 days ago) @ WB

He retired as a bridge engineer/inspector. But, had many hobbies. He mastered anything he tried in short order.

Twenty two hives keeps a home beekeeper busy. Have recovered and lost many swarms. Processed so much honey that I still can't stomach the sight of it.

Most people prefer it jarred with the comb. Not sure why, but it was easier so didn't question it.

I felt a pair of hives for years as a kid

Blake
[subject]
Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 02:53 (2208 days ago) @ WB

After I grew up and moved out my father kept them for years. We lived in an urban area so the gatherings was quite varied and the Honey very dark and rich. But the gatherings where also few and far between and we had to supplement with sugar water during parts of the year. Location is is everything. I found it to be very fun rewarding and fascinating

Kept

Blake
[subject]
Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 02:55 (2208 days ago) @ Blake

- No text -

LOL, Blake I'm not surprised. 3-mile radius what he said.

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 04:55 (2207 days ago) @ Blake

- No text -

Check out a Flow Hive, or

Abin Sur
[subject]
Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 03:45 (2207 days ago) @ WB

We discussed that in class and looked at the design

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 04:54 (2207 days ago) @ Abin Sur

That crank handle splits the cells that are plastic. It's very expensive too ($500 for one super). The Dr. poo-poo'd it in a nice diplomatic way. Basically the trend is to preserve the 150 yr. old methods that are so well documented and seem to work. Although the African Bar-top style hive is quite popular. If you have a bee problem with a Langstroth type hive it's easy to get well documented assistance. That's his take.

One bonus is that beehives

John W
[subject]
Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 09:10 (2207 days ago) @ WB

have a tendency to attract black bears.

You may have a crack at one.

LOL Cripes! I didn't even consider that one.

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 11:29 (2207 days ago) @ John W

They did tell us not to wear RED clothing as bees cannot see red (how they know this I'll never understand) but see you as all black and likely a predator such as a bear or badger. Attack!

Don't wear blue. They like the color

John W
[subject]
Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 11:46 (2207 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

just work the hives naked. If nothing else it will give the

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 11:59 (2207 days ago) @ John W

bees a good laugh.

We had ours behind electrified chain link and the bears stil

JPL
[subject]
Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 13:53 (2207 days ago) @ John W

tried to get in from above.

I kept bees for several years

Paul Lauer
[subject]
Wednesday, March 14, 2018, 07:48 (2206 days ago) @ WB

My dad took over the hive when I left for college. We helped a friend that had over 60 hives at one point. I agree it was very interesting. I learned a lot. If you have any questions let me know.