Shot the new Ruger Mk 4 Lite

John W
[subject]
Monday, March 12, 2018, 18:32 (2235 days ago)

22 pistol.

This model is what you can call Connecticut compliant. The muzzle is not threaded but merely has a snap on knurled nut for the end of the barrel.

I bought it on impulse and I am impressed with the weight or I should say lack of weight as well as the ease of take down.

I did find that it is a touch more finicky with ammunition when compared to the Mk3 22-45. Also the magazines are slightly different so you cannot interchange them.

I shot a box of Winchester high velocity 22lr and for the first four magazines I did have a couple jambs. Then it more or less broke in.

Last weekend I shot it but not for long. I decided to use up some old ammo. I had a box of WW Xpeditor 22lr. These rounds are an all lead hollow point with a gooey lubricant on them.

Needless to say I had a ton of stove pipes, misfires and failure to feeds.

So this ammo will be run in the Mk 3 next Sunday to see if it is the gun or the ammo. I suspect the ammo as it is nearly 20 years old.

I bought a case of Federal 610 ammo (5K rounds)

WB
[subject]
Monday, March 12, 2018, 21:10 (2235 days ago) @ John W

it was total crap! Leaded my barrels but good. Jim had a tip to apply Lee Alox to the bullet tips (they are dry lubed externally anyway). It works wonders! Totally stopped the leading. Made crap ammo into good stuff. Makes your fingers smell funnie for a few days though...

Something tells me that

John W
[subject]
Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 03:09 (2235 days ago) @ WB

I will have to use ammunition of a higher quality with that particular pistol. Something with a copper wash vs plain lubed lead.

I may get back into beaver trapping for 2018 to 2019 and this could be my go to trapping gun. Gotta finish them off in a cage trap.