Did a bunch of fireforming and some shooting

O’ Gary
[subject]
Saturday, March 10, 2018, 14:53 (278 days ago)

today. Started out alternating between 32-20 -> 218 Bee then switched to forming 400 GNRs. I think I may have made a mistake in annealing the 30-30 brass in that I got some flow when I blew out the cases. I’ll have to figure out a way to trim/sand the cases back to length.

I lost 3 pieces of Bee brass and 2 400s. I got 1 hourglass 400 from flow. Oh well, live and learn.

Then came the fun, 500 GNR, 10”, Mini Beast at the range. I had several come over and ask about it. I had a guy video my non event muzzle flip. Rose maybe 2” or 3”. Brakes really work. I was shooting 370 gr GC with 30 gr of W296. I started to zero at 25Y but left it 2” high there only adjusting windage. Nice tight almost all touching group. I moved to 50Y and the elevation seemed to rise another inch. It could have been me but I think the bullet was still rising(?). Tweaked windage a bit. The 370 GC on top of 27.5 gr I4227 we’re very pleasant. I had a rvery rubbed pinky finger from the finger grooves in the black Encore grip which I need to address.

Thanks Gary, the 500 is a fun gun to shoot.

Hour-glass cases, hit them again. It'll blow out.

WB
[subject]
Saturday, March 10, 2018, 16:26 (278 days ago) @ O’ Gary

Trimming is a normal necessity when forming cases. They are seldom perfectly square. It actually does not make any difference unless you are preferring a crimp operation then it's essential.

I have gas leaking back due to the neck/mouth not sealing completely, just load it again. If that don't work I make .300 GNR or Herrett cases, maybe .401 Herters.

I lately finished Doug's .280 GNR cases for Africa. The formed cases all had uneven mouths. I picked the shortest case and made all that length. A box of jewels, all trimmed and the exact same length. 160 gr. Accu-bonds ready to go.

You bet. I moved the calipers down to

O’ Gary
[subject]
Saturday, March 10, 2018, 17:59 (278 days ago) @ WB

2.025” , a slosh short, then started filing. They are mostly square now. I probably would have less brass flow if I didn’t anneal them. This was a batch set aside for 241 Falcon brass. Next batch will have less powder in them before I blow them out.

powered by my little forum