Hypothetical speculation......

John W
[subject]
Friday, February 16, 2018, 17:45 (2254 days ago)

Last night I was watching National Geographic's Life Below Zero. It is a series about several families who live a self sufficient existence near or above the Arctic circle in the state of Alaska.

Ok. This is all armchair stuff. Then again maybe not.

What, in your opinion, would be an ideal Alaska revolver? Something that is on your hip or under your shoulder at all times for a lack of a better term.

In my inventory, I do have a Ruger Super Redhawk in 480 with a 7 1/2 inch barrel. I suspect that would be the main revolver on my side or under my shoulder for hunting as well as what is that noise coming through the tent.

I know in many cases this type of thread has been beaten to death like a proverbial horse but for discussion sake and possibly a good exchange of ideas lets see what your opinions and experiences are. Thanks

Ruger Alaskan SRH in 480 or 454

MTM
[subject]
Friday, February 16, 2018, 17:58 (2254 days ago) @ John W

Was made for just that reason. Something to keep on your person. I had Gary make me a 3” SS RedHawk about 20 years ago in .45 Colt.( keep it loaded with punch bullets) I have a custom shoulder holster made so I can grab it R or L handed. I wear it in my sleeping bag, while fishing, packing out meat, hiking etc. I call it my mistress as I will not sleep in a tent without her. The object is to keep it within reach no matter what.

Alaskan bears

Alcorn
[subject]
Sunday, February 18, 2018, 15:21 (2252 days ago) @ MTM

I bear hunted in Alaska[image] last year. One shoted a record book black bear with my 416 Taylor. If you are hunting a large 416 or 458 is better than any revolver. If you want a carry gun for other times a revolver that is at least 475 is the way to go.

I carried my SuperBlackHawk .510 GNR

Larry Fry
[subject]
Friday, February 16, 2018, 17:59 (2254 days ago) @ John W

the whole time I was in Alaska 2003 to 2010. I never felt undergunned with that weapon. 350 grains at 1250 fps give or take a little, it will take anything in Alaska and in addition, you have four follow up shots if you screw up and miss on the first one. Range is out to about 50 yards for me, but then it was my go to for anything up close an personal. For hunting, due to the distances where I was, I would recommend at least a .300 win mag with 165 + grain bullets. If you are shooting beyond 300 yards you will be most likely having to track wounded game in an area filled with brown and black bears as well as wolf. Not my idea of an ideal hunt.

I would carry the largest caliber you shoot well, and

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Friday, February 16, 2018, 19:46 (2254 days ago) @ John W

preferably a caliber 475 and over and make it a single action. Double action guns are normally heavier, have more internal parts and those parts are a bit more fragile and much harder to take apart and clean should it get muddy or dropped in the river.

good point--never heard that before

Lynn
[subject]
Friday, February 16, 2018, 20:39 (2254 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

I concour.

Kantos Krieg
[subject]
Saturday, February 17, 2018, 08:14 (2253 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

I live in Alaska and generally carry a Ruger 22/45

Dan Marchel
[subject]
Friday, February 16, 2018, 20:58 (2253 days ago) @ John W

that is suppressed. It's for the war on squirrels. I still have trouble with the big bore revolvers due to my hand injury. My hunting rifle is a custom built 30-06 that is fully suppressed. And for around the cabin we have a 45-70 tricked out by Gary.

Dan, how is your hand doing? Been

Larry Fry
[subject]
Saturday, February 17, 2018, 11:51 (2253 days ago) @ Dan Marchel

wondering for some time how you were doing there. I love Alaska but my wife would never move there. Maybe someday I would drive the route to Alaska in my RV if I could somehow get my guns though Canada. I think that route ends up in Stewart or Anchorage depending on which route you choose. IF I remember right you are down on the peninsula aren't you?

I would carry my........

Tom
[subject]
Friday, February 16, 2018, 21:55 (2253 days ago) @ John W

Ruger Super Redhawk Toklat .454 in a Diamond D Guide's Choice chest holster. The 5" barrel is just about the right length and .454 I would think could handle anything coming through the tent.

Lots of .44's lots of .454's in AK

WB
[subject]
Saturday, February 17, 2018, 08:01 (2253 days ago) @ John W

In truth it does not really matter, it's just for piece of mind. If you have to defend yourself with only a handgun you are in deep do-do. The main objective is to penetrate deep and straight through anything. I think this begins at 1/2 oz. bullet and as close to 1/2" as reasonable. Bullet speed has to be well over 1000 fps, I'd figure, for sure penetration. Gary's .510 is about as much as I can handle. The .500 LB is a bit more than I can manage, I usually load the .510 GNR down just a bit 1100 fps for the 350-400 is good. The 300 gr. going 1400 is not too bad. I like the .475 LB and .480, great powerful rounds.

I have not been there lately but I bet the .460 S&W is popular now. It makes lots of practical sense as to ammo availability. In AK that is important where going to the store may be a 8 hr. round trip. Going to a guy you know local to barter or borrow something is a real consideration.

For durability and carrying I personally prefer a SA. But the DA on a Ruger chassis is great too. I like the feel of S&W but think the Ruger is stronger. In a pinch a Taurus is not too bad either for the money, a little big.

No matter, run what you brung.

I have to disagree with WB on this. I have danced with 2

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Saturday, February 17, 2018, 11:18 (2253 days ago) @ WB

bears, one in Washington State on the Canada border and the other in Alaska, both were within kissing distance. The first one was with a hot loaded 44 mag and it took all 6 rounds plus one from my 41 GNR#2 to put him down. The first 3 were with him coming at me and all 3 were upper chest shots and that didn't even slow him down. The last 3 shots were with him sitting on my chest and the gun in his arm pit. The guide put the last shot in him with my 41 GNR#2 from about 2 inches. The bear had his ass on my chest and the biting end on the guide. He was literally nose to nose on the guide when the guide pulled the trigger on the Contender in 41#2..We have video of most of it too which made it even better.
[image]

The second and most recent dance I had was with a big bear who came at me from about 20 yards. I hit him once at about 2 feet with the 510 GNR. He rolled at my feet biting at where the 510 hit him. He turned to run and I hit him again the second time again at point blank range. He ran off into the brush and I had to go in after him. If I had had a 44 mag I wouldn't have stopped that bear whereas the 510 loaded hot did. The 510 blew right thru him on both shots so he had 4 holes in him, 50 caliber size, and he still ran off.So forget a 44 mag for Alaska. If a bear comes at you he is pissed and you have to break him down to stop him and in my meager experience the 44 won't do it. I recommend 475 or bigger.
This is the 510 GNR covered in the bears blood. He was that close. The holes in the cylinder were clotted with blood as was the front of the scope. I foolishly had a scoped revolver thinking I would get longer shots.
[image]

Sure would like to see and HEAR the video!

larryh
[subject]
Saturday, February 17, 2018, 11:33 (2253 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

bush pilot

james
[subject]
Saturday, February 17, 2018, 15:20 (2253 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

I purchased my FA`s 500WE on Gun Broker and the seller told me the other bidder was an Alaskan bush pilot who wanted the 50 cal to have on his hip in case he crash landed... That says a lot...........