Hvy 44Mag: LBT vs SSK??

Dave H.
[subject]
Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 07:06 (2235 days ago)

I'm looking to pick up some 320gr boolits for playing in my 44. I have been trying to decide on the difference between the 320 SSK (older design) and the 320 LBT design
(which maker)? Does anyone have experience with either? Both? Seems the LBT might be the more modern design, but smaller meplat? I'm just trying to figure out what the difference is b/t these two and which might be a good place to start. Thanks.

THE ONLY WAY TO FIND OUT IS TO

JT
[subject]
Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 07:44 (2235 days ago) @ Dave H.

TRY BOTH IN YOUR GUN. I HAVE BEEN SHOOTING JD's BULLETS (NOT boolits) DESIGN IN A 10-1/2" SB FOR NEARLY 40 YEARS. GREAT BULLETS.

I've got a whole bunch of 320 SSK plain base

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 09:37 (2235 days ago) @ JT

and they shoot great. Their purpose is to poke a .43 hole in one side and travel straight through (skin, bone, muscle, whatever) and continue out the other side. Both designs have ample lubrication and surface area contact with the bore to be accurate and consistent. I doubt a critter would have a preference. Having said that (We got ours at a huge discount) if I were personally starting out fresh, I like the wider meplat a little better. It just makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

The SSK is sort of truncated and smaller but not an issue. It was all the rage in 1985! It does feed really well in lever guns and such. While it works usually in .44 Mag. and I have used them in special .44-40, the high hitting loads usually are within the mechanical adjustment range of the Ruger adjustable sights. The .429 GNR is a little short necked for best application with such a heavy bullet in the revolver. Works fine in the single shot though and the bomb in .440 GNR. I like a 300 gr. or less in .429 GNR.

I have a .44 Mag. with a tight spot in the bore by the muzzle. I've been using the long 320 gr. SSK with lapping grit on them to hone it out. Accuracy came back in spades way before it is totally out. That is interesting in itself. The long bullet is great for bore lapping. This photo .44 Mag is doped with grit as you can see by the way I left it a little exposed for viewing. I've shot about 200 bullets in this experiment and I have given the gun back it's accuracy. But that was 100 rnds. ago and it still has a tight spot! But boy does it shoot good.

[image]

I have a BH in 45 colt that has a tight spot

Amede
[subject]
Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 12:48 (2234 days ago) @ WB

about 5" down the barrel. Its a 7 and halfer and hasn't affected accuracy. In fact I shot it on Sunday and put 10 shots in 2" at 25 yards. Not a sniper gun for sure, but better than many and better than what I can do most days.

I've read of that, thought it was mainly at the breach

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 13:15 (2234 days ago) @ Amede

where the threads were tightened to the frame. I've "read" about that but mine was near the muzzle, about 6" on a 7.5". It is Man-na-ported and I may have inappropriately blamed that aftermarket feature on it. I was using "pin gauges" which are a fun thing to play with. I began "fire lapping" and watched the group patterns turn into tight clusters. It happened almost instantly after my method of varied grits and testing. I think I had fired about 75 rnds total. The tight spot is still there but it shoots ragged holes now. I have used the gauges to measure how deep the gauge protrudes from the muzzle. It is getting deeper so the hole is getting more uniform, the pinch smaller.

Now it seems redundant as it shoots great. But it is natural for one to want the bore totally uniform. I can say the bore is super shiny and slicker than "Johnson's Chitlins". Super clean! I will openly admit there is something to it, I remember reading Ross Seyfried's notes on the technique. It was worth a try on a problematic piece. I'm now certain it does nothing much on one that shoots well from the start. I'd never shrill it a miracle technique but it might help a special case and was fun to toy with.

320 gr. 429

Alcorn
[subject]
Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 16:17 (2234 days ago) @ WB

I have both molds. J D made the 320gr. bullet 2 ways. 1 crimp groove and 2 crimp grooves. You can load either bullet in a SBH, but you must use the top crimp grove on the 2 grove bullet. The SSK bullet is a real penetrator. The LBT bullet has a larger melpat, so it is slightly more damageing. NEI still makes the SSK 320gr.429 mould. Get both and shoot the one that is most accurate in your gun. The are both KILLERS.

great, I get to disagree with WB for a change. But I do

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 10:02 (2235 days ago) @ Dave H.

agree with John. Let the gun decide which bullet it likes. It will probably shoot a better group with one over the other.

Now to the disagreement. Forget the meplat. That is just a term a certain jailbird came up with to screw up your minds. he is not a hunter and knows diddly about a hunting bullet. If the meplat were the way to go, all dangerous game bullets would be flat nose with a wide nose and NONE of them are. Look at any 375 H&H, 458 Win Mag or 416 Rigby factory bullet. None of them have that wide flat nose. They are all pointed or round. A tapered bullet will always fly faster, straighter and flatter than a big wide nose bullet. Simply aerodynamics will prove that. How many military jets have you seen with wide flat noses? Just simple common sense.

Now WB is going to have to find something else to make him feel warm & fuzzy. And if you keep using the term boolits, JT may take a contract out on you. If he doesn't, I will. Only idiots and 3rd grade retards use the term boolits.

Is one or the other BULLET a better fit

Dave H.
[subject]
Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 10:08 (2235 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

for the cylinder of a Blackhawk? That's what I have. I believe the RH cylinder is longer....but I'm not sure. Hell, it's mardi gras here in Mobile and I've had one too many moonpies of late...

I don't have the bullets here to check but I would imagine

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 10:14 (2235 days ago) @ Dave H.

either would fit the standard Super Blackhawk cylinder. Both were designed way back before the extra long cylinders like that Reeder guy is making. And the SSK bullet was designed back in the early 80s so I know it will fit a standard SBH cylinder.

Bullets

jackmoser65
[subject]
Tuesday, February 20, 2018, 22:12 (2227 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Sorry Gary but this is pure nonsense. You obviously also have not been paying attention. Folks have learned that WFN's and LFN's not only create larger wound channels but penetrate deeper and straighter than roundnose solids and the super premium big bore rifle bullets are headed in that direction. The jet analogy was about the dumbest thing I've heard in years.

Beartooth 320 WLN

Neil
[subject]
Thursday, February 15, 2018, 05:38 (2233 days ago) @ Dave H.

My SBH gobbles up Marshal's bullet. When I ordered the first batch he gave me a 296 load to try with them and I have never tried another load. Give Beartooth Bullets a call.

By the way, mine shot through a 20" water oak from 30 yards. The only game I have shot with it is whitetail does. It is a terrible choice for that. I prefer JHP for that.