trying to get ready for whatever moves in Africa

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, February 12, 2018, 17:59 (2265 days ago)

shooting a few rounds every day in the 450 GNR with the 500 grain solid. Trying to work up to the max loads. So far still a few grains down but working at it. Even a few grains under max with a 500 grain solid pounds hell out of me. Already a few grains over max for the 500 grain in a 45-70 in the Ruger #1.
[image]

450 GNR on the left, 45-70 on the right
[image]

I have almost 5 weeks to get my Schlitz together

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, February 12, 2018, 19:34 (2265 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

so hopefully...

I understand about get the stuffing knocked

O’Gary
[subject]
Monday, February 12, 2018, 19:56 (2265 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

out of you with heavy lead. I “really enjoyed” shooting a 45-70 with 405s pushed at 2K. It was knocking my shooting glasses sideways.

Out of curiosity, what would you go after in Africa with a 45-70? And at what range?

a hot loaded 45-70 will take just about any animal

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, February 12, 2018, 20:45 (2265 days ago) @ O’Gary

in Africa. With 500 grain solids and chambered in the Ruger #1 I wouldn't be afraid to go after the big 7. Pondoro Taylor took elephant with the 450/400 with no problem and the top end 45-70 will easily equal that with shots within 100 yards. In Africa the dangerous game shots are normally within 30 yards.

On one hunt where we had a wounded Cape Buff, the Buffalo went into a big bush and we could hear him huffing and snorting. We were within 20 feet of the bush. I was there with my video camera and John was beside me with his double 475. The trackers had moved the hunter that had wounded the buff back a ways, maybe 75 yards or so as John was planning on handling the buff himself. After about 15 minutes I glanced around expecting to see the hunter, John and one of the trackers all with guns waiting. Surprisingly there was only John and me and all I had was the video camera. My 510 GNR was in the truck a mile away. Finally John managed to move around to where he could see the buff's head and put another 475 in the side of his head ending it. I asked him why he sent the hunter and trackers away. He said with too many people around, somebody was going to get killed if the buff decided to do that last charge. He said he wasn't worried about himself as the wounded buffs always came for the camera man first. That was reassuring. But that buff had taken 5 or 6 rounds of hot loaded 378 GNR and 4 or 5 of John's 475 Jeffery #2 rifle and was still trying to get enough to make one last run. After that little incident I carried the 510 no matter where I went. At the time it was exciting. Later on watching the video I realized we were about 5 paces from the bush and the buff was maybe another 2 paces into the bush. In a situation like that you have to trust your PH.
John told me later when taking a big Cape Buffalo, forget the heart shot. Break him down with a shoulder shot or a spine shot, then kill him. And keep killing him until he quits breathing, then put one more into him. A Cape is mean and is just looking for a fight. When you have this guy looking at you at 20 yards, one of you is going to die.
[image]

it might even take this guy

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, February 12, 2018, 21:16 (2265 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Africa arms

Alcorn
[subject]
Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 05:33 (2264 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

I am taking 3 Encores. 416 Taylor, 378GNR, 338/06 AI

I was trying that with .416/400 gr. solids in the .440 GNR

WB
[subject]
Monday, February 12, 2018, 20:00 (2265 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

that I had custom patched for the very special task. I finally stopped at 1900 fps, that was all I could manage and still hit anything. I figured it would shoot though a bear and that was good enough. I really couldn't see a benefit in an inch or so of longer range trajectory. You the man, got to be as bad as you are.

I am trying to get my load of a 500 grain solid up to

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, February 12, 2018, 20:47 (2265 days ago) @ WB

as near 2000 as I can handle.I may well not get there but I hope to get as close to it as I can handle. I know the gun will handle it. Whether I can or not is the question.

I shot a Garrett 540 45 70 at 1500+

Larry Fry
[subject]
Monday, February 12, 2018, 21:54 (2265 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

fps out of the guide gun you open up for me. I still have 19 rounds left...... LOL Randy Garrett used to have on his site about someone that had taken the big 5 with a marlin and his ammo in 45-70. If you are going to use a 45-70 let me know and I will send you some if you would like to try them! I use the 405 grain standard loads and they are just fine at about 1750 fps for anything I will likely meet up with in the Alabama or Georgia woods including Black Bear.

other than beating me to a pulp the loads I am shooting in

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 13:00 (2264 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

the 450 GNR are both Hornady bullets, the 350 grain expanding soft nose and the 500 grain solid. And I was pleasantly surprised that at 25 yards they both hit in the same hole. Now if I can get the load up to where it needs to be the gun should be fine for anything in Africa (that I can afford). Right now it is just past the hottest 45-70 load with a 500 grain bullet in the Ruger #1.
[image]

HA! I found this old photo. Boy did they raise eyebrows

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 09:40 (2264 days ago) @ WB

at the hunting camp. Worked perfectly and the alox made them rugged and waterproof. I'd probably place them in the advanced reloading bin but I mean if I can do it.... To do again I'd resize Woodleigh .425 Westley Richards (0.435") slugs to .430".

[image]

dangerous game bullets and lookee there, WB has

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 10:17 (2264 days ago) @ WB

no meplat...WB must have fugged up.

Those are antique RN-FMJ, won't kill anything anymore

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 13:56 (2264 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

I do have some flat tipped "Tungsten" core Speers that cost $5 or more each! I think that was the new memo sent out to all the critters. This is the new stuff that now kills ya. They must be Unionized.

In all seriousness it is "claimed" that in both testing and real world researching that even a "small" flat tip will penetrate straighter, with less chance of riveting and deflection, than a pointed, or to a lesser extent, RN projectile. Plus they just look racy so they have to be better right? Man I sure don't know, the old RN have always done we well in large rifle calibers. I do NOT like them in pistol bullets that much. They make small holes in the paper!

I have a .375/350 RNGC cast bullet that tumbles badly. Bullets in my sand drum backstop are shaped like an "L". By cutting or grinding a little flat tip like your .22 RF bullet tool those suckers fly straight as a string through the sand. I'm just saying for shooting sand that's the ticket.

What barrel length?

Coloradoyaler
[subject]
Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 08:55 (2264 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Gary

I assume this is on one of your encores. What barrel length are you using?

Thanks
Mark

it is 12 plus brake, 14" total.

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 10:06 (2264 days ago) @ Coloradoyaler

- No text -