I guess I am a real dumb shit but somebody

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Thursday, December 07, 2017, 11:45 (2293 days ago)

needs to 'splain the reasoning of this to me. Federal has their new 224 Valkyrie cartridge out, claiming it is identical to the 22 Nosler (nice of them to copy the Nosler cartridge and then brag about it, huh?) Now here is where they lost me. They say in the new Supermatch barrel it gets a 90 grain bullet out at 2650 fps. You with me so far? Now look at the ballistics of our 257 Raptor in a 14" barrel. It duplicates that. An 87 grain bullet at 2650. In a pistol. So what part of this super duper cartridge from Federal (that brags that they are a copy of the 22 Nosler) am I missing? The whole article is below. One of you ballistic experts here need to tell this old goat what is so wondermuss about the Federal 224 Valkyrie.

(Here is the whole article)
The new JP Enterprises .224 Valkyrie Supermatch barrels are one of the first aftermarket offerings in support of the new .224 Valkyrie cartridge launch from Federal Premium. The new barrels are designed for use in AR-style rifles, just like the new round.

"This new round is a serious paradigm shift for the AR-15 platform," JP Enterprises Founder John Paul said. "In testing, consistent 1000-yard (or more) hits are very achievable."

In the design phase, JP Enterprises collaborated with Federal Premium in order to develop the ideal aftermarket barrels tuned specifically for the new round. This enables the hobbyist AR-15 rifle builder to put together a precision rifle with built-right components, and it also ensures that buyers of JP AR-15s chambered in .224 Valkyrie will receive the utmost in accuracy and precision from their new guns.

The JP Enterprises .224 Valkyrie Supermatch barrels are machined from 416R stainless steel and feature button-rifled bores that are lead-lapped and measured with air gauges to ensure as much consistency as possibly. The barrels are then cryogenically treated to reduce the amount of point-of-impact drift experienced as the barrels heat up under firing, in addition to enhancing barrel life and accuracy.

The barrels are available in three different options. The first option is a 20-inch, light-weight-contour barrel that features a 1:7-inch rate of twist. The other two options both feature medium-weight contours and a 1:7-inch twist rate and are available in 20-inch and 22-inch lengths.

Each barrel offering from the company is drilled with a an XL gas port, which provides an improved dwell time and minimizes issues with pressure. In addition to being sold as components, the JP Enterprises Supermatch barrels are also offered in barrel kits, complete with the buyer's choice of a muzzle device, gas system and the company's EnhancedBolt assembly.

Testing results provided by the company indicated that a 90-grain Sierra MatchKing .224 Valkyrie bullet fired out of a 20-inch Supermatch barrel provided a muzzle velocity of 2,650 fps with a G1 ballistics coefficient of .531.

JP Enterprises .224 Valkyrie Supermatch barrels will be available in January 2018 at a starting retail price of $569.

You forgot to shift your paradigms

Amede
[subject]
Thursday, December 07, 2017, 12:04 (2293 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

More crap, its so you can shoot longer bullets in your AR for long range stability. Who cares. If I want to shoot 1000 yards I can do it with a bunch of off the shelf rifles that are less than just that upper. Like that Mossberg Patriot rifle. I would rather someone made a 358 Win barrel for a 308 chassis, much more useful.

on a cold morning I have trouble finding my paradigm

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Thursday, December 07, 2017, 17:12 (2293 days ago) @ Amede

- No text -

It's the long range crowd looking for the latest greatest

Mike Casselton
[subject]
Thursday, December 07, 2017, 12:09 (2293 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

needs to 'splain the reasoning of this to me. Federal has their new 224 Valkyrie cartridge out, claiming it is identical to the 22 Nosler (nice of them to copy the Nosler cartridge and then brag about it, huh?) Now here is where they lost me. They say in the new Supermatch barrel it gets a 90 grain bullet out at 2650 fps. You with me so far? Now look at the ballistics of our 257 Raptor in a 14" barrel. It duplicates that. An 87 grain bullet at 2650. In a pistol. So what part of this super duper cartridge from Federal (that brags that they are a copy of the 22 Nosler) am I missing? The whole article is below. One of you ballistic experts here need to tell this old goat what is so wondermuss about the Federal 224 Valkyrie.

(Here is the whole article)
The new JP Enterprises .224 Valkyrie Supermatch barrels are one of the first aftermarket offerings in support of the new .224 Valkyrie cartridge launch from Federal Premium. The new barrels are designed for use in AR-style rifles, just like the new round.

"This new round is a serious paradigm shift for the AR-15 platform," JP Enterprises Founder John Paul said. "In testing, consistent 1000-yard (or more) hits are very achievable."

In the design phase, JP Enterprises collaborated with Federal Premium in order to develop the ideal aftermarket barrels tuned specifically for the new round. This enables the hobbyist AR-15 rifle builder to put together a precision rifle with built-right components, and it also ensures that buyers of JP AR-15s chambered in .224 Valkyrie will receive the utmost in accuracy and precision from their new guns.

The JP Enterprises .224 Valkyrie Supermatch barrels are machined from 416R stainless steel and feature button-rifled bores that are lead-lapped and measured with air gauges to ensure as much consistency as possibly. The barrels are then cryogenically treated to reduce the amount of point-of-impact drift experienced as the barrels heat up under firing, in addition to enhancing barrel life and accuracy.

The barrels are available in three different options. The first option is a 20-inch, light-weight-contour barrel that features a 1:7-inch rate of twist. The other two options both feature medium-weight contours and a 1:7-inch twist rate and are available in 20-inch and 22-inch lengths.

Each barrel offering from the company is drilled with a an XL gas port, which provides an improved dwell time and minimizes issues with pressure. In addition to being sold as components, the JP Enterprises Supermatch barrels are also offered in barrel kits, complete with the buyer's choice of a muzzle device, gas system and the company's EnhancedBolt assembly.

Testing results provided by the company indicated that a 90-grain Sierra MatchKing .224 Valkyrie bullet fired out of a 20-inch Supermatch barrel provided a muzzle velocity of 2,650 fps with a G1 ballistics coefficient of .531.

JP Enterprises .224 Valkyrie Supermatch barrels will be available in January 2018 at a starting retail price of $569.

They are looking for the lightest recoil and the highest ballistic coefficient possible.
That's why the 6 and 6.5 Creedmore basically duplicate the 243 and the 250 Savage.
Getting the higher coefficient keeps the bullet flight flatter.
The 6.5 Swede did this nearly a century ago. They just didn't have the bullets, powder and optics available at that time.

This is how I feel about all of it.
[image]

makes you wonder if the wannabe snipers run the ballistics

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Thursday, December 07, 2017, 12:19 (2293 days ago) @ Mike Casselton

before they run out and buy one of these wonder calibers. Going by the ballistic tables I have here the 90 grain bullet at 2650 sighted in dead on at 300 yards drops approximately 150 inches at 1000 yards. That is over an 11 foot drop. I think I will stick to my handguns.

I doubt that a lot of the wannabes

IC
[subject]
Thursday, December 07, 2017, 13:28 (2293 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

ever look at any ballistic charts let alone understand them.

I agree Irv. I had a couple of young wannabes in

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Thursday, December 07, 2017, 14:13 (2293 days ago) @ IC

a while back that were telling me their gun and cartridge of choice (6.5 Creedmore if I remember right) shot flat out to 800 yards. Anywhere between muzzle and 800 you just held on the animal and you got it. I pulled out one of the ballistics books we have at the shop and showed him that at 800 yards the bullet dropped something like 156 inches. He told me that was bull and that company (Hornady) didn't know anything about cartridges.He knew what it did because he read it on the internet. I just shook my head and walked off. Life is way too short to argue with idiots.

I agree,

IC
[subject]
Thursday, December 07, 2017, 14:29 (2293 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

I blame some of the writers for a lot of the mis-information. If I could just read JT and maybe a couple of others, I wouldn't have let some subscriptions expire.

Yup like my Grandmother used to tell me

Grover Sr
[subject]
Thursday, December 07, 2017, 15:41 (2293 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

"Don't you know that when you argue with a fool people can't really tell you from the fool!".

I like what Jim taylor told me years ago. He said

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Thursday, December 07, 2017, 16:44 (2293 days ago) @ Grover Sr

arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you are still a retard.

Dead on hold and skip the bullet off the ground a few times

Larryh
[subject]
Thursday, December 07, 2017, 16:14 (2293 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

What's missing is that you need to market a 257

Darryl T.
[subject]
Thursday, December 07, 2017, 13:31 (2293 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Raptor Barrel for the AR-15.

we thought of that but the standard AR magazines

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Thursday, December 07, 2017, 13:49 (2293 days ago) @ Darryl T.

won't work with the Raptors. They are longer than the 223. Only an AR set up for the 204 would work, if there is such a thing.

Ar15s in 204 Ruger are nothing new.

Jerry
[subject]
Thursday, December 07, 2017, 14:55 (2293 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

They use same mags as 223. The problem with the 257 Raptor is the bullet makes it too long for that platform. Seat the bullet back and you lose the case capacity and performance of the Raptor.

you forgot to mention the 204 case itself is

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Thursday, December 07, 2017, 15:04 (2293 days ago) @ Jerry

longer than the 223 case and that is the main reason it won't fit in the 223 magazine. And even if we seat a 75 grain bullet fairly deep it is still too long for the 223 mag. We tried this 6 years ago with plans to put the Raptor out in an AR.

not now but 6 or 7 years ago they were not to be found

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Thursday, December 07, 2017, 15:33 (2293 days ago) @ Jerry

- No text -

Maybe not popular at the time, but

Jerry
[subject]
Thursday, December 07, 2017, 16:02 (2293 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

9 yrs ago I bought a 20" stainless hvy barrel 204 Ruger upper from Model 1 sales and assembled my 204 AR15. They had them "on the shelf" and in their catalog as a regular production item.

Garry, he is determined to argue with you

Charlie Anderson`
[subject]
Thursday, December 07, 2017, 16:36 (2293 days ago) @ Jerry

- No text -

no big deal

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Thursday, December 07, 2017, 17:33 (2293 days ago) @ Charlie Anderson`

- No text -

BC

Paul