Kind of went crazy and bought that LPA TXT N-frame sight

WB
[subject]
Thursday, December 07, 2017, 08:37 (2332 days ago)

A Christmas gift for myself. I missed a big fight on E-bay over a new old stock Millett rear sight which was for a 8-3/8" anyway. I was worried about the notch being too narrow for my 4". It went way north of $60 when I quit looking, and it didn't have that little elevator foot nor the leaf screw which I'm missing. That adds some grief and cost too.

I looked a Bowen's products but with so many choices and fretting over the right one to order for the specific application I was overwhelmed and got cold feet. I do like his simplistic approach to the click indices issue. There are none, just infinite adjustment. Loosen one screw and the other one is used to take up the slack. But it's not inexpensive either. Good product.

I finally found a vendor that actually had the LPA TXT in stock, in the configuration I needed, without the "extra" $30 front sight I did not need. And free shipping. No little parts or staking tool for leafs (like S&W), I like the simple 2-hole scope mounting provision usage for the island type sight. So for $130 it should be the proper bit of kit for my Reeder .41 Mag. project completion. I have the scope mount for a later addition of a 1" red dot sight if I can find one short and suitable for my aging eyes.

I'll keep you posted on the project but some very impressive handgunners say it's good stuff and that's all the endorsement I need. LPA is made in Italy and imported, sort of a boutique company catering to a very specific need and really going for it. I needed the fiber optic model to help with my vision. Should be here soon.

[image]

Keep us posted!

ChrisG
[subject]
Thursday, December 07, 2017, 09:44 (2332 days ago) @ WB

I have looked at those before. Under perfect conditions, stock black Ruger sights seem to work best for me for precision. Factory plastic Glock sights work well for me for combat type distances. Some days the gold bead on my 625 works fantastic, some days not. S&W's plastic red ramps are horrible for me. I'd be willing to give the LPA's a try though. Seems like concentration and trigger control affect my performance more than sights. That and the moon phases planet alignment amount of caffeine. . .

Solution for old eyes

Dennis
[subject]
Thursday, December 07, 2017, 16:33 (2332 days ago) @ ChrisG

Had this added to my Reeder 629

[image]

I struggle with stereo vision so I've been

WB
[subject]
Thursday, December 07, 2017, 19:52 (2331 days ago) @ Dennis

Looking at 1" tube red dots to fit normal rings. I can get DDT 30mm but I think a 1" would do. Millett used to make one. I can use my good eye to look through a tube better than a heads up type display where my eyes fight each other. Been thinking about surgery lately to fix the problem.

Please let us know

Grover Sr
[subject]
Thursday, December 07, 2017, 10:46 (2332 days ago) @ WB

How well it works. I would like to put a set on my 5" if they will fit.

Couldn't find anything on notch width etc.

WB
[subject]
Thursday, December 07, 2017, 11:14 (2332 days ago) @ Grover Sr

A longer barrel would have more daylight on the sides of the rear notch window. Compared to a shorter barrel that might fill up the picture with the seemingly larger, closer front sight. I guess they used a compromised size as they are not specific as the Millett was. In fact they made no mention of K, L, or N-frame differences so I guess they must be all the same. I know the J-frame like my kit gun is shorter in the topstrap.

If your topstrap is D&T for the late S&W three hole mount, Gary did my old 1963 gun for me, it should bolt right on using the two forward screw holes. Old guns have to be drilled and tapped.

Let me get it and give you a review based on my trials.

the width of the notch is .120 for standard

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Thursday, December 07, 2017, 11:50 (2332 days ago) @ WB

sight and .115 for the fiber optic sight.