Seems I’m not in Boston ....

Drdougrx
[subject]
Monday, November 13, 2017, 21:20 (2354 days ago)

Hmmm...live in MA...worked at a university in Boston for more than 30 years...concrete jungle ...

I now work at another university in the southern tier of NY. Family still in MA and I commute 8 hours each way, pretty much every weekend. Worth it though ... this is what I see on the front ?lawn? most evenings ... might even get me a buck with my Honda. Seems I’m not in Boston anymore!!

[image]

those are some really big groundhogs...

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, November 13, 2017, 21:22 (2354 days ago) @ Drdougrx

- No text -

Just like you stated!

Blackpete
[subject]
Monday, November 13, 2017, 21:43 (2354 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

I did see some deer sign and tracks today in the 2 inches of snow we got today. Trail cameras are in Florida. Going to go to Kittery trading post get a couple for here in NH. O buy the way, my cousin Jackie is a Franciscan priest. Maybe we can get a free pass? Haha Pete.

NY state has a higher deer population.

John W
[subject]
Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 03:35 (2354 days ago) @ Drdougrx

One town in the Lakes area, Jerusalem, has a deer kill of 1100 deer per year. That is approximately one tenth of the yearly Mass deer kill.

You can believe that until you grab your bow and

Darryl T.
[subject]
Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 05:31 (2354 days ago) @ John W

go sit in a tree! Population used to be alot higher, I used to see 30-40 deer in a day. Not anymore. Last year all of gun season I saw 1 buck, my son saw 2. When you drive through suburban areas where you can't hunt, lawns are covered as in Doug's picture.

Try Tennessee or South Carolina. In one county in

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 11:46 (2353 days ago) @ Darryl T.

Tennessee they take around 8000 deer during the season and that is just one county. When I lived there we had a 4 deer a day limit each day of the season.Twice I took 3 deer in a morning and one time got 4, although one that was hit in the horn got up and walked away with a helluva headache.

Last time I checked South Carolina had a no limit, either sex on deer and several months season. I think several of the other southern states have similar laws. Go south boy if you want to hunt deer.

In SC this is our first season with mandatory buck tags...

Gus S.
[subject]
Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 12:07 (2353 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

... but you can buy more at 5 dollars per. Got to have 4 pts or a 12 in spread. We really keep 'em reigned in down here. LOL.

But really, SC needed some kind of limit or rule on what to shoot. You should see the shear amount of miserable little male deer that get shot here. I don't begrudge anyone shooting a 4 point or a spike every now and again, but I know guys that shoot every buck they see. There's no need to shoot a small 4 pt when you've already got a couple of nice bucks that year. If they needed more meat, they can shoot a doe. Also, I know guys that shoot over 10 deer a season.

Florida deer

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 12:36 (2353 days ago) @ Gus S.

I don't know the law in Florida now but way back before we moved out here we could shoot 2 deer a day and the season was 60 days long. Plus the state had an additional archery and black powder season. So filling up the freezer was easy. The deer were smaller deer, maybe 100 lbs max.

We get a really long season.

Gus S
[subject]
Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 13:13 (2353 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Starts Sept 15 goes to Jan 1. Archery starts on Sept 1. Its absolutely miserable. Its still so hot here that I've seen evenings bow hunters literally wearing tank tops and shorts. Its miserable. Our low country areas start it all 15 days earlier. I can't even imagine hunting some of those swampy areas in mid August.

Its amazing the difference the distance north and climate make. In SC we make decent sized whitetails. 100 lb does are common enough, most shot are around 90 lb. I shot one last month at 120 lbs. She looked huge. We have bucks averaging around 170. But still, a 200 lb deer is a monster here.

I'll be honest, the sizes aren't much

John W
[subject]
Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 18:12 (2353 days ago) @ Gus S

different for deer in so. New England. I look at it this way, a smaller deer is better than no deer. I have a few friends that head north to Maine each fall. I can count on my hand how many deer they have taken over the last decade or more. Success rates are in the single digits.

I know many go for the "Maine experience" which I have done in the past but never got a deer. Seen a few and missed one but that was it.

In the future I'd like to do a southern deer trip when I have some vacation time. The deer hunting in my area has gone down hill since 2007 or so.

no luck

amen
[subject]
Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 10:11 (2353 days ago) @ John W

- No text -

Boston U

Andy S
[subject]
Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 06:04 (2354 days ago) @ Drdougrx

I graduated from there in 74, were you there then?

I miss the time around here when you

Brent Foy
[subject]
Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 15:52 (2353 days ago) @ Drdougrx

Could buy a tag over the counter for one or two deer and everyone kill at least one every year. Now with so many hunters it may take you several years to draw one tag. Hunting in Arizona and So. Utah has gone to hell.