Cooked my Goose! Almost a goat too.

WB
[subject]
Sunday, November 12, 2017, 21:05 (2357 days ago)

Man what a crappy deal. For two Saturdays I've been working on a little electric fence run of about 200 yds. taking in the fence row. I wanted to run the goats in there. Found some good info on the internet on wire spacing etc. I have only the smallest and lightest duty electric box I could find.

I drove a 1/2 copper ground rod 3' deep and it's about 7' overall. I use T-posts and plastic insulators too. This morning one of the African Geese got tangled up in it and it toasted the thing. Probably was there a good while, likely while we were at church. The goats stay in the barn and we only let them out while we are here. Well Deanna's prize Nigerian Nanny got wadded up in it. Luckily she saw her out the window. May have been there several minutes and she was in a bad way making very concerning goat noises, flat on her back, getting zapped. Looked like something off a horror movie. I got it off and the goat unwrapped. She was addled but visibly grateful, if goats could hug I would have gotten one. I think she will be OK, hope she does not miscarriage, but it's early.

You know ANYTHING bad that happens around here is MY fault too. Well that's the end of electric fences around here. I had run four wires. 6" 12" 18" and 30". Can't go under, step over, or want to jump. I guess it was too much hot wire where critters could get tangled.

Putting up electric fences......

Larry Fry
[subject]
Sunday, November 12, 2017, 21:19 (2357 days ago) @ WB

1) The grounding rod should be buried at least 6 feet into the ground and deeper if a solid ground is deeper. How do you know? First measure with an ohmmeter from the rod to ground with your probes on the rod and the other one stuck into the ground. You should measure only a few milliohms at most! Then you have an adequate ground.
2) Electric fences are to keep things from jumping over your fence. Putting a hot wire below about 5 feet is not a good idea as you have found out. Properly installed the fence should not cause the problems that you described. It will keep deer out of a garden area. I have one installed at our house in Georgia.
3) I use 3 strands starting at 5 feet high and every six inches above the initial strand.

Be sure and install the transformer in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions. Hope this will help.

my experiences are totally opposite from Larrys. I put the

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Sunday, November 12, 2017, 22:48 (2357 days ago) @ Larry Fry

ground rod 3' down just like it said to. I run one wire a foot off the ground and the second one about 2 feet off the ground. Works perfectly and keeps the jack Russells away from the fence that is behind it.

also my set up is solar powered, not electric.

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Sunday, November 12, 2017, 23:24 (2357 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

Not sure if I was improperly grounded

WB
[subject]
Monday, November 13, 2017, 07:29 (2356 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

I suspect the grounding would limit the amps which is what "kills". Solar DC and the 110v (AC) powered transformer should be putting out the same stuff I'd think. Hefty voltage and minimal amps. Surely the AC converts to less dangerous levels, provided it's grounded properly.

My father in law ran literally miles of single strand barbed hot wire for hogs. His unit had a "weed burner" function that would elevate levels to burn grounding grass tips. He killed snakes frequently with the fence, grounding it out. Said he killed a hog or two also. He paid over $1000 for that fancy long range kit.

We don't use a fence for hogs as

Joe W
[subject]
Monday, November 13, 2017, 08:48 (2356 days ago) @ WB

they tend to push forward when they encounter the hot wire. I processed all the geese years ago for several reasons and they never did figure out wire very well. Have not hot wired any goats yet but have considered one hot down low due to their always rubbing on a fence to itch and pushing through with their snouts because the grass is so green on the other side.

We run both solar and AC with good records. Horse fence is five wire with the top and next to last being hot. Without the hot down low they run the risk of getting hung up as they push for the greener pasture as well.

I think used in conjunction with another enclosure

WB
[subject]
Monday, November 13, 2017, 09:05 (2356 days ago) @ Joe W

it is fine. I need to put up one for horses on the chicken run, they scratch their selves on the chicken wire and mess it all up. A single sire will be fine. I do think my mistake was running multiple wires and too close together. Smaller creatures got hung up. If they get stuck it sure will kill them, probably the DC stuff too, if you can;t get out of it.

I researched the multi-wire set ups on the net and several say they are working for them. I'd sure be hesitant to do it again. FYI.

I have used a 7 wire, all hots, around an orchard.

Joe W
[subject]
Monday, November 13, 2017, 09:20 (2356 days ago) @ WB

and have been lucky so far. No direct exposure to livestock at this time and no deer intrusion as of yet. At times I have tossed the dogs in there to control them....they stay far from the wire as they each have found that they do not want to go there again.

Hot fence

Rw
[subject]
Monday, November 13, 2017, 17:16 (2356 days ago) @ Joe W

Built miles of hot fence for cattle,the way we rigged it up what ever gets into it is the ground,not many repeat offenders

One is not like the others....

WB
[subject]
Monday, November 13, 2017, 18:20 (2356 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Young man, just what were you crimping anyway?! Far left looks crisp, sharp, will not have to blow out much to seal the chamber, long brass life. These look to be forming loads so other than trimming after firing all should be well.

I did not do these but I have done much worse. If you have not, you must not be trying hard enough.

[image]

Dog Fence Transformer

~JM~
[subject]
Monday, November 13, 2017, 12:35 (2356 days ago) @ WB

Set up a couple of different yards to prevent the dogs from digging out. Used a transformer intended for dogs vs. horses. Drove 12" to 18" wood stakes into the ground about 6" away from each chain-link fence post. Stapled a galvanized wire to the top of each stake around the perimeter. Attached the hot lead to the galvanized wire & the ground lead to the chain-link. Worked perfect.