Blinded by the Light... the .280 GNR light.

WB
[subject]
Sunday, November 12, 2017, 15:00 (2350 days ago)

Roman said after every shot he did an eyebrow check! LOL
[image]
[image]
[image]

Doug got into it too.
[image]
[image]
[image]

He brought his .340 Weatherby MKV stainless. Seems it was made for a BIG man. The length of pull is almost 16" and the scope was pushed way forward. Moved all the way back it was still 2" too far away. It shot good though. A looooooooooong 26" pencil barrel and a 2" brake added to that! Recoil was in the 30-06 class with a bit more blast. With some work it would make a fine long range hunting rifle. The flutes on the bolt were razor sharp as was the back of the bolt cocking piece. Doug cut his thumb on it. The whole works need de-edging, polishing. The stainless Weatherby's were short lived and a little rare.
[image]
[image]

now that is a fireball.

SPB
[subject]
Sunday, November 12, 2017, 15:25 (2350 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

my gut feeling is you need to change powders or go to

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Sunday, November 12, 2017, 16:36 (2350 days ago) @ WB

a heavier bullet. A lot of whatever powder you are using is burning when it hits the oxygen.

Is that actually a small mushroom cloud. . .

ChrisG
[subject]
Sunday, November 12, 2017, 16:41 (2350 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

I think waterboy enjoys the fireworks

Winn Turner
[subject]
Sunday, November 12, 2017, 18:14 (2350 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

What powder are you using in the 280 GNR

Brent Foy
[subject]
Sunday, November 12, 2017, 17:04 (2350 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

We got those from Gary, I'd guess BLC-2

WB
[subject]
Sunday, November 12, 2017, 18:54 (2350 days ago) @ Brent Foy

which for all the flames actually gives great velocity and accuracy. Last I used was IMR4895 for my personal use. These had either 120 or 140 gr. Noslers, I'd guess 120's. We need to see the speed though. It was a red MTM (50) box we collected at HHC.

The bright flash about over powered my cell phone camera. At shooting it's just a quick flash, I'm running frame by frame on video. We had a good time and great laugh out of it.

Wasn't that the gun Charlie took to the Y-O?

I don't know what powder it was. I never load with BLC2 so

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Sunday, November 12, 2017, 23:02 (2350 days ago) @ WB

it probably isn't that. If you bought Charlie's 280 then it was loaded by either Larry Kovach or Andy, not me. I never load for anyone but myself. Too much liability. I use 4350 in my 280.

Doug was grateful to get the brass and loads

WB
[subject]
Monday, November 13, 2017, 09:43 (2349 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

They actually shoot just fine. Any poorly formed odd ones blow out nicely to sharp crisp chamber dimensions. I'll trim and neck size/shoulder bump his new fancy loads. We will be custom loading for Africa. We don't like the Burris mounted on it too much, just our preference. Doug will probably go to Leupold Variable for the actual hunt. We feel they are more crisp and have better light transmission. Many of our shooting sessions are stopped by darkness which gives a great comparative view.

Whomever loaded the .280 rounds made a die setting mistake, likely using a "short" piece of brass to set up. They are crimped (where no bullet cannuler is to begin with) so tight that the shoulders are buckled some. They chamber and shoot fine. On several the case mouth is deformed in crimping too. I might post pictures for training purposes to help new loaders. For the single shot I simply treat them as "Rifle" rounds and rely on neck tension alone. Since the bullet does not have a groove for the metal to flow into you are pissin' in the wind anyway. For crimps the case lengths need to be pretty close to the same also. Shorter ones are too light, log ones too heavy. As they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

if he is thinking of taking it to Africa, he can't go wrong

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, November 13, 2017, 17:09 (2349 days ago) @ WB

Nate took his 280 GNR and took everyone of his animals with it and all were one shot kills.
[image]
[image]

WB you have a good life! Enjoy!

Blackpete
[subject]
Sunday, November 12, 2017, 17:59 (2350 days ago) @ WB

- No text -