I scored a box of Sierra 170 grain

Larry Fry
[subject]
Saturday, November 11, 2017, 22:25 (7 days ago)

.410 bullets today. Problem, I have only loaded the 255 grain LBT bullets in my 410 gnr encore. What would you guys suggest as a starting load? My reloading manual says between 32 and 33 grains W296 min,max...... I always experience a little trepidation when the min and max are so close together. I always wonder if my powder measure is really accurate, etc. Another words, I become a worry wart until I know for sure the load will not blow up in my hand... Any advice is appreciated.

The starting load in your Encore should have no problems.

DinCA
[subject]
Sunday, November 12, 2017, 08:25 (7 days ago) @ Larry Fry

- No text -

I don't address loading issues to much

jthomson
[subject]
Sunday, November 12, 2017, 11:21 (7 days ago) @ Larry Fry

as it always seems to be dependent on the weapon your shooting in the end. I get about 1900 fps from that load thru and 8 inch revolver, I would image you will see upwards of 2000 in a closed breech gun. I use H110 but it is about the same powder as 296, I have always been more cautious of under loading the case than overloading. I don't compress the load but touching the powder seems to be what H110 likes the best. Just my observations

296/h110 is pretty tame -- sticky case is likely the worse

Lynn
[subject]
Sunday, November 12, 2017, 12:03 (7 days ago) @ Larry Fry

you could get-- nothing should blow up-- just load them as Gary says
A different powder is AA#9 --- it s pretty good stuff
but as you approach the top with it using our GNR guide-in my experience- at the least drag- or sticky stop right there -- even the next .3 to .5 grain with have to be driven out
and for me it is well below what is listed in our GNR manual
I can not even use the starting load
but 296 all is good as is 4227

start at 30 grains and work up. When the case begins

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Sunday, November 12, 2017, 12:40 (7 days ago) @ Larry Fry

to stick in the chamber, back off half a grain.

30 grains of 296 and the 170 Sierra took this bull down

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Sunday, November 12, 2017, 13:11 (7 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

3 shots and each shot blew all the way thru him side to side.He never took a step, just went all stiff and locked his legs like they often do and on the 3rd shot he fell. And it was in a 5" revolver in 410 GNR.
[image]

Roger that, will do and thanks.

Larry Fry
[subject]
Sunday, November 12, 2017, 16:02 (7 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -