Favorite/Best hand priming tool?

ChrisG
[subject]
Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 13:34 (2397 days ago)

My Lee AutoPrime XR broke the other day. I've been using a Lee Ergo Prime for now that I never really liked. Just curious what everyone else uses. Thanks!

I had a lee, and loved it, it too broke. The casting that

SPB
[subject]
Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 13:42 (2397 days ago) @ ChrisG

held the shell holder broke out. Tried an RCBS, now have a hornady.

Hornady is ok some times it fumbles a primer and gets it backwards or sideways.

If the lee were made of better material, it would be the way to go. YMMV, just my experience.

Yes that's where mine broke. Mine seated

ChrisG
[subject]
Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 14:47 (2397 days ago) @ SPB

consistently. I think I actually stretched the casting early on, so I was able to always bottom out the lever. Oh well.

personally I would stay away from anything Lee other than

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 15:01 (2397 days ago) @ ChrisG

their dies. Most of their stuff is cheap castings. As John Taffin says, "you can't afford to buy cheap stuff". If you buy cheap you will end up buying over and over again as they break and wear out. Buy the good stuff one time and it will last you a lifetime.

Kinda depends . . .

ORG
[subject]
Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 17:40 (2396 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

. . . on how much you use it. I completely wore out one of the LEE tools over many years, but I'm pretty sure I won't outlive its replacement I'm now using.

I use a little cheapo LEE open-front press with a dedicated decapping die, and it shows no sign of wearing out.

But as I said, it depends on usage. I'm not a big-time shooter, and I'd likely have better stuff if I were.

JMHO

the hand tools are not the best way to go. As

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 13:44 (2397 days ago) @ ChrisG

your hand gets tired of seating the primers you don't squeeze as hard and end up with primers not seated deep enough. This causes misfires.
I am not saying this is the best priming tool but having tried most of the others this is the one I use. You can feel it seat the primer and you can prime 50 cases in about 3 minutes.It is the RCBS Auto Prime.

[image]
[image]

From experience, Gary is right. If you are going to load a

SPB
[subject]
Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 13:52 (2397 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

lot, a better way to go.

Thanks Gary! That looks like a winner. I don't

ChrisG
[subject]
Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 15:05 (2397 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

like the feel of using a regular press plus I don't like touching the primers - the pick up tubes look like the way to go. I'll give one a try!

Hand primer

Zach Groves
[subject]
Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 16:13 (2397 days ago) @ ChrisG

As far as hand primers go I really like the Frankford Arsenal. It is solid, hefty, and reliable. It also lets you precisley dial in seating depth. It makes a great companion when I'm using my MEC Marksman.