I found it! Lost for exactly a year in a closet.

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 08:47 (2382 days ago)

My custom .45 Super barrel for the G21. Blake graciously loaned tooling and tips to the project. I placed the kit in a Tasco scope box, just found it! The 5.5" stainless Lone Wolf barrel has been long throated to flatten the pressure curve and I really like the tri-port expansion brake I sourced off the net. I used a #24 spring on a stainless captive recoil rod. (Mods all critical to regulate recoil effects and slide opening - validated by my frame by frame video investigating) While Blake perfected a jewel of a 1911 .45 Super with 185/200 gr. jacketed bullets I wanted to break new ground and pursued cast. It worked for me installing "plain base gas checks" onto target bullets. The 200 gr. cast bullets show even less pressure at 1400+ fps, 230's are only 100 fps less. It makes an ugly, utilitarian, superbly accurate and reliable self-defense walking gun. 13+1 rounds and another mag would be fine in any kit. Plus both Blake's 1911 and my Uber-Glock shoot standard .45 ACP just fine.

I'd not advocate just anyone try to mimic either of us in our antics but perhaps it's bemusing. Hot rodding the 1911 requires much forethought as does tricking the Plastic Wonder. Not for the average Joe.

[image]

[image]

[image]

One of my fav auto cartridge

Andy S
[subject]
Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 12:01 (2382 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

You know it sounds really hot loading

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 13:22 (2382 days ago) @ Andy S

but the factory 10mm is lot higher pressures. The same bullet weight running the same speeds, the .45 is lot lower due to the greatly increased surface area for it to spread over. They have kept pressures and speeds down on old Slabsides for decades, obvious reasoning.

Several attempts to soup-up the .45 ACP have met lukewarm acceptance and/or had marketing issues. Probably best for individuals so inclined to do their own modifications. The .45 ACP can do a lot more than what factory ammo shows. They just can't generally market it that hot for sale.

Case support and web exposure can vary greatly. Exposed weak case webs at the feed ramp are what give way and blow guns. You have to really check the individual gun as to the condition for warmer loading. I'd never load a factory Glock barrel of any caliber hot, Glock says no reloads at all! Voids any/all warranty support.

years ago Lee Jurras gave me the load data for his

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 15:33 (2382 days ago) @ WB

Super Vel 45 ACP, running a 185 grain bullet out of a 5" Gvt model at over 1300 fps. He had a 175 grain bullet out of the same gun at over 1400 fps.

found it

stonecold
[subject]
Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 12:06 (2382 days ago) @ WB

Scotty, I may need you to come by and look for all the lost stuff I know I put somewhere around here. I like the G21. Glad you and Roman had a good time at the hunt. I had elbow surgery last week to remove two large bone spurs and numerous small ones. Also removed two loose fragments of bone and moved a nerve over to end tingling and numbness in fingers. Cast off and going to PT tomorrow to get some range of motion back. No shooting big bores for awhile for sure. I enjoy your posts.

Boy you are some hard charger! Irv

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 13:13 (2382 days ago) @ stonecold

is a Misfit fellow you have never met. He was camped in Hot Springs. I wish I could have collected him and introduced you two. All the Misfits I've met are so interesting and great guys/gals.

The best thing about good friends who tinker:

Marco
[subject]
Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 15:39 (2382 days ago) @ WB

They get all the parameters sorted out and then you just order parts, have them help you assemble them, get their load data, and end up with a fun, accurate, out of the ordinary gun! You save a ton of cash and in the end have all 10 of your fingers and vision in both eyes! Who could ask for anything more. Honestly, if I did not have friends that know what they are doing I would either have much less fun or be missing valuable body parts. I'm just not that swift.

My Auto Ordnance Model 1911A1 US Army converted to .45 Super:[image]

Result with a 200gr Hornady XTP:
[image]

Thanks to Blake Naugle: a functional, safe and totally fun firearm!