Mega Beast questions

Bob Denning
[subject]
Monday, September 18, 2017, 18:53 (2405 days ago)

That gun is beautiful. But I do have a few questions.

1- can I trim 577/450 brass and then fire form it with 45 cal bullets
2- is brass 24 gauge shot shells as strong as rifle brass
3- can I use cut down 577 nitro brass
4-if I used jacketed bullets can I use .585
5- is shooting 24 gauge shot shells with shot a no no with such a big muzzel brake.
6- I assume trail boss would be a good powder for light loads

Yikes. Sorry about all the questions. I haven't been so excited about a new gun in a few years. Unfortunately we still have stage 2 fire restrictions going on which prohibit firing guns. Another reason to pray for rain

Thanks. Bob.

I'd figureyou'd split the expensive .577/450 hulls.

WB
[subject]
Monday, September 18, 2017, 19:50 (2405 days ago) @ Bob Denning

Why would you WANT to use $15 each .577 brass? 24 bore all brass shotshells are cheap, by comparison. Well, then the .585 Woodleighs are not cheap either. It's all so far from my reach it's hard to relate.

I've not tried the shotshell from an expansion chamber type MB but it does not sound healthy to me.

But it does sound fun.

Mega beast

Bob
[subject]
Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 04:37 (2405 days ago) @ WB

577/450 brass is more readily available. Your probably right I would split the necks first. I'll make a few expander plugs to enlarge it more before I fireform.

Yes your right about my wife. She calls me Tim Taylor.

As far as shotshells go. The OLD rifles used shotshells but then again they didn't have MB's. Was wondering if the plastic wad would protect the shot through the MB or get caught up and tear the whole thing up. The twist is real slow so it might not go all blunderbuss on me. Huh

Yep I live in MT. It's been pretty nervy all summer. Big fires all around,yesterday was our first rain all summer.

Shotshells brass are a cheaper alternative I'll have to measure some for thickness. Wasn't sure if the heads are formed the same as rifles brass. I might have to sacrifice one and cut it in half first. Odd to use shotshell primers.

I thought I would try making some jacketed bullets from expanded 50ae brass. i could probably use the expander plugs I would have to make for the 577/450 brass above.

Lots of fun possibilities with this gun. Thanks again guys. And yes I have life insurance. Lol. Just have to figure a way to shoot it with my blast shield in place. (Thinking not laughing now)

Not wanting to add fuel to the fire I

jthomson
[subject]
Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 05:55 (2405 days ago) @ Bob

will anyway hahaha, Bob we have a lot of extended chokes for our target guns that are ported, some designed to strip off the wad, some to control muzzle climb. They will build up with plastic from the wads after a few hundred rounds. Its what is between the chamber and the brake that will give you more trouble. You're welcome Tim

Thanks guys

Bob
[subject]
Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 17:42 (2404 days ago) @ jthomson

I guess the shotshell idea is a bust. I was lucky to get the last 40 rounds of midway brass and I'll try forming 24 gauge brass. Thanks again. Bob.

your wife is right about you...

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, September 18, 2017, 21:23 (2405 days ago) @ Bob Denning

First off, I hope you have good insurance...
#1. I have no idea. The gun is chambered for the 586 GNR which is based on the 577 Snyder case.
2. I have no idea. The gun is chambered for the 586 GNR..refer to #1.
3. I have no idea. The gun is chambered for the 586 GNR...Refer to #1.
4. The gun was designed for hard cast lead bullets. Jacketed will raise the pressures.
5. The gun was designed to use 577 Snyder brass cases.
6. Trail Boss is normally used for lighter loads.

I told Colleen when we shipped the gun to you, within 6 weeks you will have blown the gun or yourself up. I can see I am probably going to be right.

good move. Keeps the lawyers off your back

Charlie A.
[subject]
Monday, September 18, 2017, 23:32 (2405 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

Gary, you make me laugh. I will pray

Al Dingman
[subject]
Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 05:21 (2405 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Bob does not blow himself up!!!!!

I wasn't worried about Bob. I didn't want the gun destroyed

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 10:46 (2405 days ago) @ Al Dingman

- No text -

Are you in the treasure state?

Lymey
[subject]
Monday, September 18, 2017, 21:41 (2405 days ago) @ Bob Denning

- No text -

If you think that's fun, you should

Df
[subject]
Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 05:11 (2405 days ago) @ Bob Denning

Experiment with a 500 nitro! ;-)

Damn, did this storm miss you ?, most of ours

jthomson
[subject]
Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 05:47 (2405 days ago) @ Bob Denning

are back under control, least for now

Yeah, .577 Snyder is everywhere for $2-4 each

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 07:08 (2405 days ago) @ Bob Denning

uses rifle primers. I see many use the .58 Minnie balls as projectiles, that is handy too. A RB would suffice too I figure. I'd lay off the shotshell idea with a muzzle break. The pellets begin expanding, even with a plastic wad, at the instant it leaves the muzzle. That is actually 2-1/2" back inside that break.

I once had a cool old High Standard shotgun, marketed by J.C. Higgins, that sported this wild looking early break and choke system called a "Power-Pac". I liked it because it looked so sinister. There was about a 1" open space between the muzzle proper and this beginning of the choke. The wad was actually inside the choke before the back exited the muzzle. So far so good. But While dove hunting I noticed some material stacking up under the break around the choke body. Every shot cut a little doughnut and slid it up against the internal end of the choke. It was a booger to unscrew but I slid off 7-8 little plastic "bands" that had been flared out and cut by the expanding wad as it transitioned from muzzle to choke. Extending that thought and distance the pellets would be a messy situation.

Also Long ago I read where O'l JD Jones split a muzzle brake with cast bullets flaring at the base due to too high pressures and smacking the break upon exit. Just FWIW.

[image]

What are you smoking Scotty?

Mark Wilson
[subject]
Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 11:10 (2405 days ago) @ WB

You find me some virgin 577 Snider brass for $2.00 a hull and I will buy 1000 of them

On a Yahoo search ".577 Snyder Brass"

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 11:59 (2405 days ago) @ Mark Wilson

There is an "Etsy" listing for (20) Snyder brass for $45. Close, only one avail. Track of the Wolf has it too. But it's $4 each.

Those listed on Etsy are not tru 577 Snider brass, but

Mark Wilson
[subject]
Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 14:29 (2404 days ago) @ WB

reformed 24 gauge shotgun brass.

I used to get mine from Fred Huntington at

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 15:41 (2404 days ago) @ Mark Wilson

Huntington Die Specialties at 530-534-1210.