.475 GNR in a long- cylinder BFR?

BFR Fan
[subject]
Sunday, September 17, 2017, 17:14 (2410 days ago)

I was checking out some of the GNR cartridges and the .475 GNR caught my eye. Since the BFR has been chambered in both the .475 Linebaugh and the .45-70, would it be possible to re-chamber a BFR in .475 GNR? Since it is an opened up .45-70, it made me wonder if it might be doable.

it is doable but not a good idea at all.My opinion only.

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Sunday, September 17, 2017, 17:40 (2410 days ago) @ BFR Fan

We are a licensed manufacturer and have our own stretch frames and oversized medium frames. We have almost 70 of our own cartridges, the 475 GNR being one of them. But I will not chamber a rifle cartridge in a revolver. It would be screwing you. A rifle cartridge has to be loaded with rifle powder, which will not burn well in a revolver. You would get a lot more power out of a 475 Linebaugh than you would our 475 GNR in a revolver. An 8 or 10 inch revolver can only burn a certain amount of rifle powder. The rest goes up in a bright flash at the end of the barrel when it hits the oxygen. The revolvers chambered in rifle calibers, or at least the ones I have seen chrono'd were a big disappointment to the shooter. Much less power than if chambered in a rifle barrel.
So it can be done, but I sure don't recommend it.

Thank you.

BFR Fan
[subject]
Sunday, September 17, 2017, 17:43 (2410 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Gotcha, sounds like it would be kind of futile to chamber it. Much appreciated, Gary.

the 475 Maximum would be a good choice as it is

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Sunday, September 17, 2017, 17:44 (2410 days ago) @ BFR Fan

loaded with pistol powder.

The 475 max is the cats meow

Bob Denning
[subject]
Sunday, September 17, 2017, 20:33 (2410 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Gary's stretch frame is longer and more robust than a ruger 357 max. Allowing you to shoot a wider variety of bullets. As a bonus you can shoot 475L and 480 ruger. I limit myself to 5 shots of 475 max at the range. Any more and I start to flinch. Brass is easy to cut down 45-70.

WHEN I TESTED THE .475 AND .500 LINEBAUGH LONGS

JT
[subject]
Monday, September 18, 2017, 05:56 (2409 days ago) @ Bob Denning

I HAD ABOUT 40 ROUNDS OF BRASS TO WORK WITH. ( I NORMALLY WANT ABOUT 500)THIS SMALL AMOUNT WAS MORE THAN NEEDED! I WAS PHYSICALLY ILL AFTER A MORNING SHOOTING WHICH REQUIRED SO MUCH CONCENTRATION TO KEEP FROM GETTING HURT. I WOULD COME BACK TO THE HOUSE AND GO TO BED TO RECUPERATE AND THEN START ALL OVER AGAIN THE NEXT DAY.

Years ago. . .

Eric & T
[subject]
Monday, September 18, 2017, 06:38 (2409 days ago) @ JT

I had a 475 in a Contender. Recoil was very, very stout. I have the Encore barrel now and it still stout. It never dawned on me to shoot 475 Longs in it till this year.

Take care

Squirrley

Just for fun I loaded some 475L for my ult blk widow ...

Drdougrx
[subject]
Monday, September 18, 2017, 07:53 (2409 days ago) @ JT

.... after a cylinder full, I'd had enough! My wrists were tingling and I had to concentrate on handing onto the gun! Heavy 480 loads from now on! (Famous last words!)

You know there is some recoil when

Amede
[subject]
Monday, September 18, 2017, 08:07 (2409 days ago) @ Drdougrx

the people watching you start to flinch! I was shooting some 345gr Keith type out of my UBW last week and my friend had to walk away as he didn't even want to watch.

I will admit that I lost my 429GNR one weekend. I was

Drdougrx
[subject]
Monday, September 18, 2017, 08:46 (2409 days ago) @ Amede

shooting 33gr of H110 under a 265gr hornady. I find the stag grips both beautiful and slippery. BANG right outta my hands. I put it away, pulled the bullets and decreased the load ...,

Hey Bob, do you trim the rims? I remember

WB
[subject]
Monday, September 18, 2017, 07:54 (2409 days ago) @ Bob Denning

being a wide eye'd and sweaty palmed teenager reading the Ross Seyfried articles in G&A about the new breed of monster magnum wheelgun 5-shooters. I couldn't wait until the next issue. The .475 was first then the .500 (.510").

I remember the first .475 used the full .45-70 rim then they trimmed it for the pawl gear on the cylinder. Of course IF you happen to have a little lathe in your shop it's just a small matter. I made a rod to fit inside the case I wanted to turn the rim on. This allows me to clamp on the case front and not damage the brass. I do a lot of trimming on .41 Remington making .401 Herters and usable .401 WSL.

Mine is one of the early models

Bob
[subject]
Monday, September 18, 2017, 18:39 (2409 days ago) @ WB

And no I don't have to trim the rims. I'll send pics to your phone later

Yep, John Linebaugh made a believer out of Ross.

ORG
[subject]
Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 06:53 (2408 days ago) @ WB

And things were never the same after that.

Loved those articles.

;-)

I had a couple BFR .45-70's and found

WB
[subject]
Monday, September 18, 2017, 11:22 (2409 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

it difficult to get .454 Casull performance from the big old case. As mentioned you just can't get the burn you need due to the large capacity. You can go heavier and slower but the .454 has you beat with lighter and faster in muzzle energy.

It is a neat novelty and very well made firearm. I'd like to see more Reeder customs on the platform myself. Their front sights leave a lot to be desired and I don't care for the alloy scope mount but it DID seem to work. Until lately they were (the regular frame BFR's) the cheapest way to get a super magnum 5-shooter factory SA. I think they had the .475 LB?

I have one in 475LB

Amede
[subject]
Monday, September 18, 2017, 12:00 (2409 days ago) @ WB

Not real happy with the grip and the front sight, but the rest is nice. Accurate also. I may send it to Gary one day to redo the grip.

That's two easy thing for Gary to fix, I'd really

WB
[subject]
Monday, September 18, 2017, 15:10 (2409 days ago) @ Amede

like to see the outcome from that. Until Ruger did it's own Bisley that was a very attractive alternative. I bet it could be turned into a real semi-custom winner.