For those of you in the 50's,60's and 70's get your

Woody
[subject]
Sunday, September 17, 2017, 08:04 (2405 days ago)

shingles virus shot and save yourself a LOT of pain and grief. I just got over it, took about 14 weeks total, of which the first 8-10 weeks were total torture and the past month or so recovering, albeit very slowly. Still have a small amount of discomfort in a small area on my torso, but thank the good Lord it's over. About 32% of people will get it, with about 3-5% of those getting it in multiple locations on the body...like me! In about 1%, the pain NEVER goes away...man do I feel sorry for those people! Do yourself a HUGE favor....get the shot. It's good for 5 years then you have to get boosters every 5 years afterwards. Trust me....you don't want a severe case..or even a not so severe case. Lucky for me, I did not get any of it on my head/face/neck area..which can be extrememly dangerous in some cases. My entire torso, left arm, left leg to my knee and right tricep were affected. Seriously, I couldn't even tie my shoes or wear a shirt w/o difficulty and severe pain. One trick I learned....I ended up making a torso sleeve of paper to go under my tee shirt so the fabric would not rub against the extremely sensitive skin...not perfect but did make wearing the shirt a lot less painful. Perhaps worthy of a patent? Forget about average pain killers....nerve pain is a whole different animal and requires the heavy duty stuff...which I refused to take as I really like my liver and kidneys just the way they are..plus they are extremely addicting. I have enough problems as it is.

I have had the shotsnd shingles. Dies not stop it but much l

SPB
[subject]
Sunday, September 17, 2017, 08:27 (2405 days ago) @ Woody

Less severe. I agree, get it done.

Sorry got fat fingers

SPB
[subject]
Sunday, September 17, 2017, 08:28 (2405 days ago) @ SPB

- No text -

I feel for you, I had shingles about

Al Dingman
[subject]
Sunday, September 17, 2017, 08:42 (2405 days ago) @ SPB

10 years ago. Only in a very small spot of my back. First it felt like someone punched me in the back, than came the rash. They gave me a patch to put over it, which really felt good, till I had to take it off. It hurt so much taking it off, I never put it back on again. Agree, get the vaccination.

Shingles

OGS
[subject]
Sunday, September 17, 2017, 08:52 (2405 days ago) @ Woody

This is good preventive medicine. Most insurances will cover it. I tell my patients that this is a case where an ounce of prevention is worth 100 pounds of cure.
(And it enables your local pharmacist to make more gun purchases)

I got my shot last year in conjunction with

O' Gary
[subject]
Sunday, September 17, 2017, 10:21 (2405 days ago) @ Woody

my yearly physical. The docs said I don't want it being over 50.

my Doc is a good friend and is a gun guy. I think he

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Sunday, September 17, 2017, 11:43 (2405 days ago) @ Woody

like to experiment on me. Every new shot that comes out, I get it. I have had the shingles shot, the pneumonia shot, rabies, distemper, and the Mongolian flu.

GET! THE! SHOT!

ORG
[subject]
Sunday, September 17, 2017, 12:10 (2405 days ago) @ Woody

My doctor spent last year nagging me to get the shot and I procrastinated. Big mistake!

Got the shingles. Won't go into details except to say YOU REALLY DON'T WANT THEM!

The initial rash is easily resolved quickly with something like Valtrex. That's the easy part. The nerve pain is . . . something else altogether. I'm like sixteen weeks into this, and I have been able to taper off the pain med somewhat, but can't quite quit completely. As mentioned, it's unknown when you will get over it, if ever. The med is not like the "codones" in that it doesn't hide the pain, it actually deals with healing the damaged nerves.

The shot is only like 50% effective, but if you get the shot and then get the shingles it will not be as bad.

Long story short, GET! THE! SHOT!

Did I mention GET! THE! SHOT! ???

What he said. "GET THE SHOT!".

SPB
[subject]
Sunday, September 17, 2017, 12:58 (2405 days ago) @ ORG

- No text -

And by the way . . .

ORG
[subject]
Sunday, September 17, 2017, 14:01 (2405 days ago) @ SPB

. . .there is no cutoff at age 50 . . . that's when you really begin to be more likely to get shingles. I'm 73 and my doctor was not the least bit surprised. That's why she had been nagging me.

got mine two years ago!!

Brian T
[subject]
Sunday, September 17, 2017, 14:30 (2405 days ago) @ Woody

- No text -

Happened To Me...

~JM~
[subject]
Sunday, September 17, 2017, 20:39 (2405 days ago) @ Woody

Right in the midst of purchasing a home & moving. Hit me pretty good, especially along my neck, scalp & one side of my face. I looked hideous. (Even more than usual) Bad news if it happens near your eye. Could cause the loss of your sight.

I'm not a big fan of vaccines, injections, or Doctors in general, but you really should consider the shingles vaccine.

shingles

jthomson
[subject]
Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 06:08 (2403 days ago) @ Woody

For what its worth and I am talking to those folks like me that have never had chickenpox, And I don't know that this is true But my dentist was suffering from an outbreak of shingles and would not work on me because of her fear of infecting me with (not shingles) but the chicken pox, which would then of course make me able to share the fun.

Yes, it is absolutely true.

Woody
[subject]
Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 18:27 (2403 days ago) @ jthomson

- No text -