New Trail Gun arrived today. You and your

O' Gary
[subject]
Thursday, August 17, 2017, 14:05 (2438 days ago)

guys are top notch. The fit, finish and craftsmanship are all superb. I like feel of the smaller frame. The handling just looking at and working the action is great. Handling ought to be great in the field.

I tried my formed 218 brass and it drops right in each cylinder. I'll need to scope it and load up some ammo for a range report.

I see their appeal. I'm looking forward to a 10mm.

[image]

About 40 pieces of formed 218 brass[image]

That looks great Gary...

Huey
[subject]
Thursday, August 17, 2017, 14:16 (2438 days ago) @ O' Gary

- No text -

That is very nice.

ChrisG
[subject]
Thursday, August 17, 2017, 14:40 (2438 days ago) @ O' Gary

- No text -

Make certain that the chambers are totally dry

WB
[subject]
Thursday, August 17, 2017, 15:11 (2438 days ago) @ O' Gary

grease free, and the ammo too. I like alcohol hand wipes for that purpose, no lotion in them of course. It's a bit trial and error. Don't freak if you first get sticky cases or worse, set back. I hate set back. That happens by the case neck not expanding or at least sticking to the chamber walls and allowing the entire case to move backward to hit the recoil shield. It can happen with too light a load OR too hot a load! But the middle range is pretty wide. The case expands and is sort of forced in that against the recoil shield position. You want the neck to quickly and solidly grip the chamber wall before pushing the entire case rearward.

I'd load 3-5 test rounds to make sure they fire and expand correctly, not sticking or setting back. It's a pisser to load up 50-100 and not being able to shoot them! Been there.

In dire cases of set back I have had to remove the cylinder pin, pull hammer to lower the cylinder bolt clear, and with the cylinder gate open, whack the cylinder with a wood or plastic mallet to get a severely set back case loose. It's a butt clenching ordeal. Do not use a brass mallet, you can dent a frame! I've done some really goofy things by error but with a careful approach it all worked out.

Thank you very much for the tidbits.

O' Gary
[subject]
Thursday, August 17, 2017, 15:43 (2438 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

It will work fine. Sometimes it takes a little fiddling

WB
[subject]
Thursday, August 17, 2017, 17:36 (2438 days ago) @ O' Gary

so don't go wild. I bet you work it right out of the gate. It will be fun no matter and that's what it's about.

we very seldom have set back with the 218 Bee or

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Thursday, August 17, 2017, 15:45 (2438 days ago) @ WB

the 218 Mashburn Bee. Also seldom with the 22 K-Hornet also. The regular 22 Hornet does back out from time to time. I made a 218 Bee and a 218 M. Bee for myself and don't ever remember having a set back problem with either. But like WB said you have to keep the chambers and brass dry.