Bobcat?

Alcorn
[subject]
Tuesday, August 15, 2017, 19:54 (2439 days ago)

Is there such a thing as a black bobcat? I think I saw one near Home this evening. It had a bobtail so it was not a wild house cat. I live in NW corner of MS, way out in the country. Any input?

Technically, how could one be wrong?

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, August 15, 2017, 20:13 (2439 days ago) @ Alcorn

- No text -

Did he look like this?

Harry
[subject]
Tuesday, August 15, 2017, 21:19 (2439 days ago) @ WB

No, I have killed 2 black bear.

Alcorn
[subject]
Tuesday, August 15, 2017, 21:29 (2439 days ago) @ Harry

I have a full body mount bobcat on my den coffee table. I won't kill him. Maybe I can trap him alive. Lots of animal traffic where I saw him. Don't know what I'll do if I catch him. Maybe take lots of pictures and release him.

Bobcat

Nate Henning
[subject]
Tuesday, August 15, 2017, 21:09 (2439 days ago) @ Alcorn

It's a very rare condition just like albinisim. Has something to to do with melanan production. If I'm not mistaken it's only been documented like 14 times in bobcats. It's basically like every bobcat hunter or trappers unicorn and would be worth a small fortune alive or dead.

Black pussy is just as good as white pussy.

Puffy
[subject]
Tuesday, August 15, 2017, 21:31 (2439 days ago) @ Alcorn

- No text -

Yes there is a mutation to the agouti

Larry Fry
[subject]
Wednesday, August 16, 2017, 13:43 (2439 days ago) @ Alcorn

pattern that can result in an all black cat (both wild and domestic). It is very rare in the wild! BTW, most Bobcats have the agouti pattern without any white piebalding. The eumelanin is Black and the density D factor in the coat is at its maximum. There is a whole lot more to the genetics but this is a gun forum not a cat genetics school. Brief answer to your question is yes it is possible and most likely probable. I would not shoot this particular animal and see if you can put up some trail cameras and get a picture of it and maybe in a year or two maybe some offspring. I would love to have a picture of that cat if it truly is a Bobcat and not a domestic short hair that is feral. BTW, some domestic cats have bobtails naturally, i.e. the Japanese Bobtail comes to mind.

ORANGE & WHITE MANX

BUCKWHEAT
[subject]
Wednesday, August 16, 2017, 16:07 (2438 days ago) @ Larry Fry

SHOWED UP HERE ABOUT 3 WEEKS AGO -- AMAZING THAT IDIOTS LET HIM OUT -- I'M SURE THEY PAID GOOD MONEY FOR HIM
IF NOT FOR THE COLORING HE COULD SURE BE MISTAKEN FOR A YOUNG BOBCAT

I was in a band back in the mid 60s called White Manx

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Thursday, August 17, 2017, 10:43 (2438 days ago) @ BUCKWHEAT

- No text -