Javelina vs. feral boar vs. Russian Boar

John W
[subject]
Saturday, August 12, 2017, 06:19 (2411 days ago)

I was poking around on the 'net and happened to see a hunt for javelina in Texas.

I though to myself as to how they taste? So for those in the know, how would you rate the following?

A. Javelina

B. Feral Hog

C. Russian Boar

Thanks

Javelina is a darker, dry meat. No fat to speak of.

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Saturday, August 12, 2017, 06:24 (2411 days ago) @ John W

When my wife fixed them she would cook the meat in a pressure cooker with lots of oil added (as well as spices etc.) Was always good.

Pit barbecued is also an excellent way to fix it.

Also the javelina is not a true pig.

Eric & T
[subject]
Saturday, August 12, 2017, 06:36 (2411 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

If I remember right it's a rodent and in the peccary family.

https://www.desertmuseum.org/kids/oz/long-fact-sheets/Javelina.php

Take care

Squirrley

Not a pig (genus: Suidae) but a relative (Tayassuidae)

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Saturday, August 12, 2017, 06:47 (2411 days ago) @ Eric & T

The collared peccary (Pecari tajacu) is a species of mammal in the family Tayassuidae found in North, Central, and South America. They are commonly referred to as javelina ... Although somewhat related to the pigs and frequently referred to as one, this species and the other peccaries are no longer classified in the pig family, Suidae.

(from Wikipedia)

They root like pigs .. poop like pigs ... grunt and squeal like pigs ... but are not classified as pigs.

Sort of like some relatives ...

We all have some relatives like that...

Huey
[subject]
Saturday, August 12, 2017, 10:54 (2411 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

- No text -

grunts and squeals like a pig....puffy told me he had an old

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Saturday, August 12, 2017, 11:56 (2411 days ago) @ Huey

girlfriend that did that..

It was sort of embarrassing in public.

Puffy
[subject]
Sunday, August 13, 2017, 07:50 (2410 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

and they will never let him in Pizza Hut again

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Sunday, August 13, 2017, 11:41 (2410 days ago) @ Puffy

- No text -

They did say it was all you can eat.

Puffy
[subject]
Sunday, August 13, 2017, 14:17 (2409 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

And the "pronghorn antelope" . . .

ORG
[subject]
Saturday, August 12, 2017, 11:30 (2411 days ago) @ Eric & T

. . . isn't really an antelope, just a pronghorn.

The pronghorn is a species of mammal indigenous to interior western and central North America. Though not an antelope, it is often known colloquially in North America as the American antelope, prong buck, pronghorn antelope, or simply antelope because it closely resembles the true antelopes of the Old World and fills a similar ecological niche due to parallel evolution." -- Wikipedia

AKA Speed Goat

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Saturday, August 12, 2017, 11:55 (2411 days ago) @ ORG

- No text -

And I have spent 17 years applying

Brent Foy
[subject]
Saturday, August 12, 2017, 21:32 (2410 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

For a tag in Arizona to shoot a dam goat

I pass on Javelina. They need help to taste

O' Gary
[subject]
Saturday, August 12, 2017, 06:41 (2411 days ago) @ John W

good. When cleaning, watch out for a musk gland just above the butt. Break that and throw the pig away. It will smell bad.

Feral is the way to do. It is a domestic hog turned wild. If you want to hunt to eat, go for 75 - 150 pounders. They are the best eating. If given a choice, I would go for a sow. I cook mine on the grill using a dry rub, low and slow. The closest thing to the meat is a pan if water. I hunt feral pigs day and night as it is allowed in TX.

Never hunted Russian hogs.

Musk gland comes off with the skin

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Saturday, August 12, 2017, 06:44 (2411 days ago) @ O' Gary

just pull the hide off and the gland comes with it.

We are lots of them over the years .. I shot a truckload of 'em.

Hanging shot all three and in my opinion.....feral pig.

Drdougrx
[subject]
Saturday, August 12, 2017, 07:28 (2411 days ago) @ John W

True eiropean boars are more like wild game IMHO. The meat is purple and not the degree of fat that a feral will have. They are still great to eat but a feral will "generally" taste more like store bought pork. I didn't get to eat either of the two javelina that I shot. The guides in TX wouldn't hear of it.

I go to texas every january

Al Dingman
[subject]
Saturday, August 12, 2017, 07:57 (2411 days ago) @ John W

and hunt those feral hogs. Never take home a big boar. Last year we brought home 7 hogs, all in the 130 - 150 range. They eat like store bought, as long as you can keep them cool. First year we went down there, it never got over 30 degrees, which worked great for us bringing them back to Minnesota. Last year, it was 75 to 80, gut and skin them, packed cavity with ice, and put them in game bags. kept adding ice, until we got into Nebraska on the way home, where it finally got cold enough. If it is hot like that this year, will have them cut, wrapped and frozen for trip home.

Russian Boar, have had 1 and was terrible. He was under 200#

Darryl T.
[subject]
Saturday, August 12, 2017, 09:05 (2411 days ago) @ John W

Awful musky. Could not eat it, even made sausage which was just as bad. Tasted like it smelled. I will bet a sow would be better tasting.

Same Experience...

~JM~
[subject]
Sunday, August 13, 2017, 06:27 (2410 days ago) @ Darryl T.

Was given a few steaks from a Russian Boar.

Meat looked great before & after being Bar-B-Qued. First bite wasn't too bad, but by the second to third bite, yuck!

AS ALWAYS

BUCKWHEAT
[subject]
Sunday, August 13, 2017, 07:33 (2410 days ago) @ ~JM~

A LOT OF VARIABLES -- PRIMARY FOOD SOURCE I THINK MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE
HAD VENISON IN THE HONDO-UVALDE REGION (TX) SHOT AT THE END OF THE PRICKLY PEAR BLOSSOM - COOKED THE NEXT DAY BY A LOCAL RANCHERS WIFE - BEST I'VE EVER HAD

SAME CIRCUMSTANCES FOR A SIMILAR DEER HARVESTED IN A WHEAT FIELD IN HELENA OK - MIGHT AS WELL BEEN EATING A MUD HEN

ADRENALINE ? HEALTH OF THE ANIMAL ? ALL THOSE AND MORE CAN MAKE QUITE A DIFFERENCE I THINK

first remember the Javelina is not a pig at all

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Saturday, August 12, 2017, 10:33 (2411 days ago) @ John W

if I remember right his closest relative is the hippo. As far as taste on any of the 3, all are edible if you take care of the meat and cook it right. i know a lot of folks that love Javelina, most hate it. I know a lot that hate Russian boar, very gamey to most, unless it is a small 150 lb hog. feral hog is just a farm pig that has gone on an extended vacation.

As long as you can get Javelina gutted

Brent Foy
[subject]
Saturday, August 12, 2017, 21:20 (2410 days ago) @ John W

Skinned and cooled down quickly we like them. I like it best cut in1 1/2" cubes, beat with a tenderizer hammer to open up the grain and flower it, salt and pepper and fried. I like Venison done that way too. We always called it sheep herder steak.