Ok. Semi Dumb Question on SP 101 frames

John W
[subject]
Friday, August 11, 2017, 11:41 (2449 days ago)

I was more or less reorganizing my reloading room and looking at some load data. I was wondering how much power I could squeak out of my 4.2 inch Ruger SP 101 in 357 magnum?

I am not talking of doing some kind of dangerous experimentation but using top end loads for Alliant Powders 300 MP powder.

I suspect the gun can handle top end loads but for how long? The main purpose of this is to have some heavy loads for a relatively compact revolver when I do some trips to the mountains.

Just asking for some opinions. Thanks

I have an SP101

Bert
[subject]
Friday, August 11, 2017, 11:49 (2449 days ago) @ John W

I bought it from a dealer who also operates an indoor range.
He had an SP as one of his rental guns and he had nothing but good things to say about their durability.
He seemed to indicate that they will outlive a Smith K frame many times over, when fed warm 357 mag loads.

the SP is for sure the strongest small frame 357

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Friday, August 11, 2017, 12:22 (2449 days ago) @ Bert

on the market. Nothing is idiot proof but the SP is top of the line. I wouldn't touch the Kimber.

So Gary, have you had the chance

Al Dingman
[subject]
Friday, August 11, 2017, 13:38 (2449 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

to look at the new Colt Cobra? If so, what do you think of that little 38? The magazines have nothing but good things to say about it, and I was wondering if you have seen it yet, and what you think.

the little Colt is one of the nicest small revolvers I have

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Friday, August 11, 2017, 16:03 (2449 days ago) @ Al Dingman

seen in years. Good friend and gun writer Dick Williams who lives in California quite often gets new guns shipped to him for an article and quite often California doesn't allow them in the state. So Dick has the run thru us, does the article and we send them back for him. So I get to see some of the new stuff before they hit the gun shops. The little Colt was a really nice revolver. The finish was almost perfect, the action was better than decent and overall it was a really nice little revolver. And the price, although a bit higher than it's competition, is still well within reason.

AMEN TO THAT--MINE WON'T GO BACK.

JT
[subject]
Friday, August 11, 2017, 16:46 (2449 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

Thanks Gary and JT. Was looking

Al Dingman
[subject]
Saturday, August 12, 2017, 08:10 (2448 days ago) @ JT

for one, and apparently they have not hit the shelves here in Minnesota yet.

What Is Wrong With The Kimber?

~JM~
[subject]
Friday, August 11, 2017, 14:32 (2449 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Just curious. Would appreciate an honest impartial opinion.

Thank you.

I am a bit set in my ways and am sometimes a bit more

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Friday, August 11, 2017, 16:10 (2449 days ago) @ ~JM~

critical of a gun than I should be. The Kimber that came in a while back, and I think it came in for Dick Williams (not sure about that) was rough, gritty action, and high priced. You were paying for the name. Lately over the last year or so that has held true for their 1911s also. I have one of their Custom Carry 1911s from 10 years or so ago and it came out of the box smooth and accurate. Not so the new ones I have seen. The quality has gone down considerably in my humble opinion. But enough so that we won't carry them in our gun shop any more. You are simply not getting your money's worth. Again my opinion only and my opinion and $11.25 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

You frequent Starbucks?...

Huey
[subject]
Friday, August 11, 2017, 16:19 (2449 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

no but when we were in Atlanta waiting on the plane

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Friday, August 11, 2017, 16:47 (2449 days ago) @ Huey

to Africa I walked by a Starbucks in the airport and almost fell out when I saw the prices. I can get a steak dinner here in Flag for the prices they charge for a large cup of coffee.

Sounds Fair Enough...

~JM~
[subject]
Saturday, August 12, 2017, 08:30 (2448 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Sorry to hear that.

Thank you.

I almost bought a Kimber though

Bert
[subject]
Friday, August 11, 2017, 12:17 (2449 days ago) @ John W

I decided to invest in some hunting equipment instead.
But those 6 shot Kimbers are my definition of Beautiful