Brief knife and packing kit review.

WB
[subject]
Friday, July 21, 2017, 06:52 (2442 days ago)

Unfortunately I've had to travel a bit to big cities lately, which I dislike very much (the travel). When I do go I always pack a few items in my kit, checked luggage, to make me feel a bit more independent and self sufficient. I'd hate to think a SHTF situation while I was off but I like to at least feel like I have a few things to help. I do the same thing on vacation trips with a revolver usually added.

[image]

I've been eyeing the "tactical" pens and while I like the idea personally I detest anything black and many features are sort of silly. When are you really going to need a glass breaker or handcuff key? I bought this one to keep as it had more of a survival vibe to it. My only critique is the ink ctg. is smaller so it's more for signing things or brief notes than writing a dissertation. But that's minor.

I chose a bright color so I could find it on a cluttered desk. The pen does have a "glass breaker" which I guess is also a defensive tip. It's left hand threaded to reverse into a striker plate for fire starting. Another part has the ferro rod end. Then you have the pen, and the cap is a whistle! (Puffy - never blow another man's whistle, even if he says it's OK.) I wish they had some tuning holes so I could play a tune to amuse myself but I think it's an innovative feature. Quality feel, I like it.

[image]

I'm not much of a knife guy but I aspire to learn enough to carry on a meaningful conversation with Larry Fry one day. It was my desire to get a quality pocket knife that could double as defensive but still was "anti-tactical" and not blacked out. I also wanted to try a Columbia River Knife and Tool brand product. Of all the designs I chose this one, a spring assisted flipper. The thumb stud has a gimmicky safety that is sort of neat but requires some familiarization to easily use. The size is a bit under 8" overall with good sturdy blade and nice reach for real pocket knife. Handle material is true G10 synthetic and all metal internals, spacers etc. Why they do pocket clips tip down is beyond me but it's not too bad. I like the knife and think it was a fair buy. I prefer flippers to autos but think finger tip flip is superior. Kershaw's have been my brand of late and I almost bought another but wanted a CRKT. Now I can check them off the list.

[image]

WB....do you not have a Utah non-res permit?

Drdougrx
[subject]
Friday, July 21, 2017, 07:01 (2442 days ago) @ WB

It will cover many states except the cities on the coasts.

I'll look into that! AR has resprocity with many statestoo.

WB
[subject]
Friday, July 21, 2017, 07:14 (2442 days ago) @ Drdougrx

But I've been an outlaw before too. Thankfully I look pretty unassuming and non-threatening. But then again so do pretty girls from Australia, and that didn't go too well.

Pocket knife

Winn
[subject]
Friday, July 21, 2017, 10:29 (2442 days ago) @ WB

I carry a kershaw every day of my life. I cannot tell you how many I have had to sacrifice to those bastards in NYC and our lovely nations capital. I truly believe they have side jobs selling 2nd hand knives. I like that pen concept. I've always thought the TSA was horrible. They take your toenail clippers away and let you through with a very sharp #2 pencil. Go figure.

This Shrade model with "fire starter" might be tough

WB
[subject]
Friday, July 21, 2017, 11:16 (2442 days ago) @ Winn

to get through TSA but many of the other models that basically have a semi-pointy blunt end are literally robust body ink pens and cannot be objectively discriminated against.

I ordered a replacement ink ctg. it said on the sight was for a Schrade model for $2.88. Well it don't fit. So now I'll probably spend $15 for a Parker pen to use up my extra $3 ctg. Such is life.

CRKT are great knives.

Randy Barnett
[subject]
Friday, July 21, 2017, 07:10 (2442 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

I think I have CRKT figured out...

WB
[subject]
Friday, July 21, 2017, 07:28 (2442 days ago) @ Randy Barnett

They get all these knife designers to submit knives then they pick out ones they can have the China boys (er..Taiwan) to put easily into production at a fair price. The great designer "Kit Carson" RIP did their M16 series that all the Military guys get all weak knee'd over. I didn't find one of them I liked though. They also have this Asian fellow Liong Mah (who lives in FL) making some nice designs for them. I almost bought this one and probably should have. I like this one called the "Remedy".

[image]

And since it has a nice stainless handle it wouldn't take much money or arm twisting to get my old Bud Uncle Gary to do a nice etching on the handle to personalize. I like the tip flipper much better. Some are not spring assisted so look close before you pull the trigger if that makes a difference. It may be my next one. It would look great with script etching "The MISFITS".

I have a few but don't carry them. I find they

Drdougrx
[subject]
Friday, July 21, 2017, 08:41 (2442 days ago) @ WB

don't have enough tension when closed and open in my pocket just enough for the point to stick out from the handle scales. I think they can be dangerous.

This model is actually "locked" closed.

WB
[subject]
Friday, July 21, 2017, 09:28 (2442 days ago) @ Drdougrx

the thumb stud pushes the lock aside then a nudge snaps it open. I find I have to consciously push on the stud then slide it to open. It requires some finesse which I really don't like but I can live with it.

I have similar ideas. (Need to seek therapist). ..

Brant
[subject]
Friday, July 21, 2017, 07:29 (2442 days ago) @ WB

I don't fly much, but when I do I always carry a nice looking ink pen in my shirt pocket. Drop it in the basket at check in, and they hand it right back to me. It's not as tactical or heavy duty , but will go smoothly into an eye or throat if forced to defend self or plane. Flashlights in luggage as well. Upon arrival to hotel I search the place for possible weapons. Lamp, kitchen knives, pots, skillet. (When unable to bring along a handgun)

Just this past week we met my sister in law , mother n law, and young nephew at the beach for a few days. One night we decided to walk out to the water and look for crabs. They had driven 4 hours to the beach on vacation and didn't have a flashlight. I had 3 and a lantern( small battery operated).

I also had an air compressor jumper cables, precharged jump
Start system, 3 handguns all firing same ammo .38s, small bag of tools, leather gloves, fix a flat, and a partridge in a pear tree. But I was driving 8 hours. Come to think of it, I have those things everyday. Except one .38 is traded for a .22 in the console.

Fail to plan, plan to fail

I carried a couple of CRKT

IC
[subject]
Friday, July 21, 2017, 10:31 (2442 days ago) @ WB

folding knives for years while in the military (yes, one was a M16 model). They served me well. Sandy bought me a Kershaw assisted that I have carried daily for two years. It has never opened in the pocket and is carried tip down.

I'm looking at white river knives. USA made

Kyle
[subject]
Friday, July 21, 2017, 22:11 (2441 days ago) @ IC

Carry knives

Neil
[subject]
Friday, July 21, 2017, 14:20 (2441 days ago) @ WB

For budget (Made in China) I think it is hard to beat a Spyderco Tenacious, which can be customized to your liking with scales and liners. For total badassness, my favorite is Zero Tolerance. I have a model 0200 that I am sure you could use for demolition. ZT knives carry a lifetime guarantee and lifetime sharpening. And they are MADE IN THE USA!

Never hd a Spyderco, they look sort of goofy

WB
[subject]
Friday, July 21, 2017, 16:23 (2441 days ago) @ Neil

but I figure they must be good, been around a long time. That ZT is expensive! They look nice.

WB, check out the Zero Tolerance

Larry Fry
[subject]
Saturday, July 22, 2017, 10:34 (2441 days ago) @ WB

clip point flippers. Get either the ELMAX or Swedish Powder Steel blades. If you can find them at a knife and gun show, look for a Gerber MKII and a MKI. The first is a long fixed blade and the second is a short boot knife. Both are reliable and hard to break. Do not get the on with the angle on it like was carried in vietnam. They never did work out really well, the balance felt wrong, and the guys quit carrying them in the field because they would lose them and they cost so much. Kabar did the job, was an issue knife, and was easy to put an edge on it. For a bug out kit, the knives that are offered now just do not really provide a really durable rust proof steel (of which there is no such thing, even 440C will rust). I like the Bowie knives that Gary offers as they are made out of L6 but they do require care to prevent rusting. Much like the katanna's of Japan, they would rust from fingerprints alone. It is best to wipe them off after handling them and put a light coat of oil on them with a soft cloth. You can store them in a sheath as long as they are not left in it for very long. Take them out periodically and wipe with oil and they will store just fine no matter what people tell you. I have been doing it for years and none of my knives have rusted, so they should be good for a bug out bag. Just remember to rotate items through your BOB and oil the knives when you do......JMHO

WB, knowing you as I do

IC
[subject]
Saturday, July 22, 2017, 16:53 (2440 days ago) @ Larry Fry

(remember the knife you gave me) you do not want a Gerber MKI or MKII. The ELMAX steel reads well and should be good. From what I've read, Swedish powder steel isn't a certain type of steel, but more like a manufacturing process.

A $50 pocket knife I can do, $150 I'm not there yet!

WB
[subject]
Sunday, July 23, 2017, 06:03 (2440 days ago) @ IC

- No text -

I understand

IC
[subject]
Sunday, July 23, 2017, 08:29 (2440 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

Powdered metal knife blades

Michael Croxton
[subject]
Sunday, July 23, 2017, 17:09 (2439 days ago) @ IC

I don't have any, but they should be good. The powdered metal endmills I use are real nice. Use them for cutting aluminum and they cut like high speed and wear like carbide.