Ruger Toklat 454

Tim
[subject]
Friday, July 21, 2017, 06:30 (2470 days ago)

I am thinking of having my Ruger Super Redhawk currently chambered in the Toklat 454 configuration customized to one of the 41 caliber GNR offerings. I am wanting to set it up as a hunting revolver. Unfortunately my eyesight makes using open sites difficult unless they are highly visible so I am leaning towards having it set up for a scope. Gary offers so many different choices, so I am looking for suggestions from those that have had a super Redhawk done. I hunt primarily in Montana so it could be used to hunt anything from moose to antelope. Thanks in advance.

I have a converted Super RH to .429 GNR

WB
[subject]
Friday, July 21, 2017, 07:10 (2470 days ago) @ Tim

The recoil is much less than a .454 and those .44 bullets really scream. Mine is a long snouted 9.5" version, mostly stock Ruger with much external embellishment. I chose a vintage B&L 2X28 scope as I knew of them from years before. I'm sure there are 2X32 even, offerings today that would be ideal. The 2X is superior in the woods and is fine for 100 yds. or so. If you are more open (like I figure most of Montana is) a fixed 4X would be great. I just don't trust variable scopes on handguns too much (but I have some on S.S.).

[image]

If you desire .41 the .410 GNR is perfect and a full 6-shot on the RH.

As to iron sights the fiber optic front is perfect with your choice of rear blade. I keep them on my "scoped" RH. I've never had any issues with my factory Ruger rings and use a common quarter for a tool and torque wrench on mine.

Uncorking close to 30 grs. of H110 and the .429 GNR.
[image]

The Hornady 265 gr.rubber tips worked but you have to mod them. I found that grinding the tips flush was a very good compromise for deer type critters. They are a bit too soft for hogs IMO.
[image]

Thanks WB, I am leaning towards the

Tim
[subject]
Friday, July 21, 2017, 07:19 (2470 days ago) @ WB

410 GNR since I already have the 454 brass.

I've shot the .429 and .410 side by side

WB
[subject]
Friday, July 21, 2017, 07:32 (2470 days ago) @ Tim

and while you or an animal probably would not tell the difference the .41 should have a little edge in trajectory past 100 yds.

BTW the .429 GNR is also a necked down .454 case. I find anything .41 cal. a bit more exotic for my money. The .429 was a .44 Mag. to begin so it only required a simple rechamber. They (.44 Mag. RH) are a silly easy way to get into a Reeder custom cheap. Ditto a .41 Mag. RH, IF you can find one.

And now Ruger has the SRH out in 41.

Amede
[subject]
Friday, July 21, 2017, 08:48 (2470 days ago) @ WB

Its 7.5" but if you want a shorter barrel, I am sure Gary could accommodate when you have it opened up to .410. That is on my short list for things to get to in the next year.

Gary rechambered my RH 44mag

Russell Cottle
[subject]
Friday, July 21, 2017, 13:12 (2470 days ago) @ Amede

to 429GNR. More flexibility with .44 bullets than .41's as a rule.