I forgot to post pics of Erik Stenberg's 500 yesterday

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, April 19, 2017, 12:32 (9 days ago)

This is one of our Mega Beast Encore barrels. Erik's is in 500 Nitro, 22" total with brake. Express sights and a lotta thump.
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

We are building these Mega Beast barrels in 470 Nitro, 500 Nitro and Kase's 450 KNR. Plain barrel is $600. With express sights it is $650. Helluva deal for a pure African rifle.

Still working on Doug's project, adding weight

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, April 19, 2017, 14:39 (9 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

to the stock but in a much more positive way, perfecting balance. This time I'm using old normal lead in a fashion even Doug could remove it himself. I'll take pics and post later.

I'm milling two slots in the forend to recess weights and a cavity under the rubber recoil pad. I was thinking the butt would have a cavity but being Laminated and no reason for wood work back there, since the receiver attaches at the pistol grip. I'll have to make weight holding orifices there.

I'm working for 3# additional weight adjusted to feel like a 9-10# rifle but it will go closer to 12 lbs. with scope and all. Just sticking it on an Encore rifle chassis nets a 6.5 LB. man-killer, you'll clap your shoulder blades!

[image]

[image]

years ago other pussies tried taking the recoil of the

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, April 19, 2017, 15:35 (9 days ago) @ WB

7mm XP-100 down by putting 38 caliber wadcutters end to end in the plastic forend. I think it held 8 or 10. I remember seeing pics of them glued in the forend. Whether that made enough difference to matter I have no idea.

You have a choice with the 470 Nitro and 500 Nitro on an encore. You can carry twice as much weight all day or you can handle 1 or 2 shots in the field. Personally if I am shooting at game, I never hear the shot nor do I feel the recoil. I have had several double rifles in the past, both side by side and O/U and in 450/400, 470 Nitro and 500 Jeffery. At the bench they beat hell out of me but in the field I very seldom felt the recoil. The worst I owned was a drilling in 9.3 X 74. It had to run about 5 lbs max. I used it up on the Arctic circle for caribou and even in the field it would bloody my nose every shot.

I would rout out a slot in the bottom of that encore forend, put some lead bullets in there, and epoxy over them to keep them from rattling. And also tell Doug to grow a set.

The kit all set up is actually very handy

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, April 19, 2017, 19:48 (9 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

it's the fine shotgun like balance that makes all the difference. At under 40" overall it's carbine length with a full rifle length barrel. Easy to get factory claimed ballistics! A 570 gr. at 200 fps faster than a .458 manages a 510.

That bullet gluing is a neat trick!