Last week before, Bro. Jim was banging away with SA

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, April 19, 2017, 07:18 (68 days ago)

a fixed sighted short barrel SA! We were really having fun shooting at random steel targets and I heard more than one "clang" in his cylinder fulls. No telling if he was shooting at 20 or 100 yds. I could not even see the sights on those guns.

*Note the old sage Cowboy action shooter tumbing hammer with the other hand, maintaining his grip. Why don't I do that?!
[image]

I intended to look closer at what he was shooting. Inquire if they were his or friends, make, caliber. One had a really short barrel, the other an inch longer perhaps. We limited what we took not knowing truly what to expect. I did look over his custom Reeder PD though.

Some of these valuable old fellows only have another 30-40 yrs. left, so glean that valuable info while you can boys!
[image]

I have two fixed sight SA I can hit with. One is the Taylor Bisley .45 Gary reworked that has a clear sight picture. The other a heavily reworked Great Western in .44.

Were these .44's or .45?

In the photo that is a USFA .44 Special

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Wednesday, April 19, 2017, 07:41 (68 days ago) @ WB

built for the Shootists. Color case hardening by Turnbull .. one-piece walnut grips by Persinger. I was shooting the 250 gr. Keith SWC over 7 gr. Unique or 16.5 gr. 2400. Both loads are accurate enough to clang the 100 yard gong if I do my part.

[image]

Looking at the wide/square profile of that front sight...

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, April 19, 2017, 10:34 (67 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

I take it has a modern and ample notch rear. Still potting a gong at 100 is no small feat for ANYONE. Even offhand with a modern rifle, for most. Great shooting.

The grips are understated from a distance, outstanding, well inspected.

I can't see the sight well on anything anymore

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Wednesday, April 19, 2017, 10:36 (67 days ago) @ WB

but if I can focus on the front sight I and I am holding the gun correctly the rear sight has to be close. I just let fly and sometimes I hit what I was supposed to. If I was shooting at the 50 yard gong and hit the 100 yard gong instead I just act like I planned it that way.

LOL, another great tip passed on...

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, April 19, 2017, 11:35 (67 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

- No text -

Absolutely, a hit is a hit!

Rick Sim
[subject]
Wednesday, April 19, 2017, 11:51 (67 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

- No text -