Rem 700 Triggers

Robt
[subject]
Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 15:28 (2615 days ago)

Could anyone clarify the ongoing mess concerning Remington 700 trigger? I have read Remington's website and am very confused about where I stand in regard to my 1962 Rem 700 BDL 7mm Rem magnum. Remington doesn't seem to be very forthcoming in dealing with their customers. I have had several guns from other manufacturers that were repaired promptly with my complete satisfaction. As careful as I am I do not wish to use a defective high powered rifle.

box it up and send it to their repair dept. Once they

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 15:38 (2614 days ago) @ Robt

have it, they have to do something about. If they refused and sent it back, and someone was hurt or killed with it, they would be in even worse than just a trigger replacement. Now they have negligence added in. Send it in. They will replace the trigger. They won't have any other choice.

That's why I'm a 98 Mouser man.

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 19:19 (2614 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

*Always note the possibility of discharge disingaging safey

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 15:45 (2614 days ago) @ Robt

Actually you SHOULD on any firearm. I've seen it myself. A friend shot a hole in the side of his F100 with a 700 in .243 by taking it off safety to unload. Fingers were no where close to trigger.

The assy. can get gummy with too much oil or dirt. You press the trigger then later when the safety is disengaged it goes "click"! I had an XP100 that needed de-gumming badly that did that. A good cleaning and minimal lube it was fine. But I ALWAYS considered the possibility that it COULD fire taking the safety off. How folks could point the gun at kids and such while removing the safety is crazy to me but it has happened. My buddy missed the other guy's leg, standing on the other side of the truck, by about 2 feet. Some very serious discussions followed for sure!

Word is that Remington knew about it but covered it up. A design engineer blew the whistle before he passed a few years back. We'll never know the real skinny. You can find his interview on Youtube.

Honestly a Timney aftermarket unit will allow the bolt to be opened and gun unloaded with the safety still engaged holding the sear. If it really bother's you. That's the right way to do it. I'd sure investigate Remington's "Fix" before I sent in my fine old hunting rifle. They might "fix" it with a 10 lb. trigger!

I have a friend with a Rem 700

Michael Croxton
[subject]
Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 17:28 (2614 days ago) @ WB

That has that same issue. Shot into the bottom of his passenger front seat of a ford truck while unloading the gun laying on rear floorboard.

Is Chevy the official truck of Remington?!

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 18:15 (2614 days ago) @ Michael Croxton

LOL, 2 for 0.

All five of mine are fixed...with Timneys...

drdougrx
[subject]
Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 18:17 (2614 days ago) @ Michael Croxton

- No text -

Look at the trigger. If it has the ribs

Larry Fry
[subject]
Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 19:19 (2614 days ago) @ Robt

on the trigger it is ok. If the trigger is smooth then it is recalled. I read the recall on the Remington web site and checked my 700 in .243 that WB and I sighted in several years ago at one of the HHC's as I had been having fits with the scope. I put the rifle through its paces and had no issues with safety or trigger or even a hint of problems. Turns out, mine was one of those in the date group that was not recalled. I did call Remington and spoke with a tech and he walked me through a check of the rifle just to be on the safe side. BTW, problem with the scope was the base has an adjustable base and rear ring..... Once that got straightened out it worked perfectly and I just love that .243 round for small deer and coyotes etc.....

They used to make a cam like lever for those.

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 20:09 (2614 days ago) @ Larry Fry

It replaced one screw on the windage adj. Flip it over and it had a flat. You could pivot the front dovetail mount and pop the scope off. Provided you didn't move the other screw you were supposed to be able to reattach with close zero. Never tried one though.

I too like the 6mm but the .243 is too plain for me. I went 6mm Ackley (although mine is marked .244 Ackley) the twist is 1:10". On a BRNO M98 from 1944. Not much difference in killing though, just panache.

I have a newer mod 700 and called Remington

Brent Foy
[subject]
Wednesday, February 22, 2017, 12:54 (2614 days ago) @ Robt

About it, it is on the recall list. Remington said they would send me a box and paperwork to return it two years ago and never did. I've got a box so maybe I'll just send it in on my own. It's a 257 Wby mag and I hunted with it for a couple years, then I got hooked on handgun hunting, it hasn't left the safe since. I bought a Rem 700 in 68-69 when they came out with the 25-06 chambering and shot deer with it for 40 years. Great gun, but the new 700 doesn't seem to be the same quality. For one thing the stock came with some type of glass bedding that was so poorly done there were large areas were it was completely missing, like they ran out of material half way through. I like to bed my rifles with some tape around the barrels so when I'm done they are free floated, but with the bedding on the stock to keep it from warping in bad weather, so would have redone it anyway, but it was a sign of poor quality.