decisions decisions. Wednesday morning two of my guys

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, February 20, 2017, 22:51 (2620 days ago)

Nate and Tom along with Don Wood and I are heading down to Phoenix to register the guns we are taking to Africa. That is no problem. The problem is deciding which ones. We can only take 3 guns, but I plan to register 7 or 8 and then make the final decision between now and May 28th. So far I plan on the 378 GNR, 338 GNR, 310 GNR, 510 GNR, 429 GNR and maybe one or two others. I have the 310 GNR, 338 GNR and 378 GNR in both the G-2 and the Encore. I plan to get out and see which of them is the most accurate and then take them, but first the damn snow has to stop and the water recede so I can get out to the place I shoot. No shooting ranges, indoor or outdoor in Flagstaff, thanks to the Liberal California shitbirds who moved here and got into our politics.

Anyway, we can put as many guns on the registration sheet as we like but only take 3. Decisions, decisions. .

429 revolver, 378 and 338 in G2. Problem solved.

Puffy
[subject]
Monday, February 20, 2017, 23:25 (2620 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

I am set 366GNR Encore, 256 Falcon Encore

Blake
[subject]
Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 04:57 (2620 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

And "Grits".

Grits, man. I can't live with out them.

Gus S.
[subject]
Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 06:08 (2620 days ago) @ Blake

My uncle still make grits on what's left of the family farm.

http://blizzardbranch.com/home.php

But to the question, and I'm no expert as I only have the 7mm GNR, I'd go 378, 310, 510 Revolver.

Alternatively, 366, 510. and,.. and more grits.

We do Sorghum and Cane Syrup, too.

Gus S.
[subject]
Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 06:17 (2620 days ago) @ Gus S.

- No text -

ME NEITHER

BUCKWHEAT
[subject]
Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 06:32 (2620 days ago) @ Gus S.

MY WIFE MAKES WHAT SHE CALLS SMOKED GRITS

I'M TELLING YOU A MEAL CAN BE MADE OF THEM THINGS

BOY THEY ARE FLAT DELICIOUS WITH FRIED FISH

BY THE WAY

BUCKWHEAT
[subject]
Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 06:35 (2620 days ago) @ Gus S.

WHATS WITH THE OTHER FLAG AT THE BOTTOM OF THEIR WEB PAGE ?

I SEE NOW

BUCKWHEAT
[subject]
Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 06:42 (2620 days ago) @ BUCKWHEAT

DIDNT REMEMBER THE SOUTH CAROLINA FLAG

If you looked through the site,..

Gus S.
[subject]
Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 08:08 (2620 days ago) @ BUCKWHEAT

.. nearly every person in there is family. Even the black guys, Jaybird and Dobie.

Gus, "Grits" is the name of a specific revolver...

Marco
[subject]
Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 07:01 (2620 days ago) @ Gus S.

- No text -

Grits

Blake
[subject]
Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 07:52 (2620 days ago) @ Gus S.

[image]
The stretch frame Ruger my Wyoming Hunter was built on belonged to Grits Gresham

That's a neat name.

Gus S.
[subject]
Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 08:04 (2620 days ago) @ Blake

If you ever have a need for some corn based grits vs the steel Grits just shout out.

Just did a little reading..

Gus S.
[subject]
Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 08:33 (2620 days ago) @ Blake

.. Found Grits Gresham on a wikipedia page. He was a Carolina boy. Gresham is still a name heard around the state. Thanks for mentioning the the name. I always appreciate finding out about our SC folks that "made it out of here".

Dammit Blake, I love seeing that gun!

Neil
[subject]
Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 13:28 (2620 days ago) @ Blake

- No text -

Neil one day you will have to pull the trigger

Blake
[subject]
Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 17:03 (2619 days ago) @ Neil

And have Gary build you one. If I could have only one hunting gun, it would be that gun.

you would live a lot longer without them

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 12:14 (2620 days ago) @ Gus S.

- No text -

There's surving,.. and there's living..

Gus S.
[subject]
Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 12:47 (2620 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Brother, I'm livin'

Beside, my people are long lived and tend to keep all their teeth. I think I'll be OK.

that is the only reason I mentioned it. I feel my family

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 21:26 (2619 days ago) @ Gus S.

deserves for me to stay as healthy as possible and eating stuff like chicken fried steak, biscuits covered with gravy and grits are just a heart attack on a plate. You are a grown boy. I am not telling you what to do. Just mentioned it.

We don't really eat grits like that.

Gus S.
[subject]
Wednesday, February 22, 2017, 12:50 (2619 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

I don't know anyone who does. City people screw up grits with cream and shrimp garlic and other sh!+. Us more refined rural southerners make our grits much like the Germans make beer. For grits you need nothing but water, salt, and the grits themselves. Maybe a small pat of butter and pepper added at the table. There's no heart attack waiting in grits. It's just corn. No worse for you than cornflakes. However, like cornflakes, add 2 ounces of sugar and your killing yourself.

I didn't think you were telling me what to do. Hell, I just thought you didn't like grits.

years ago, back in '87 or so I had a mini stroke, so

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, February 22, 2017, 14:06 (2619 days ago) @ Gus S.

I decided to start taking better care of myself. That meant dropping a lot of the foods I had been eating. Among the list of stuff I was told to drop was anything made from corn. Corn is one of the foods to totally stay away from. It has no value at all. When you eat corn on the cob. it comes out the other end looking just like it went in. Even dog food makers stress that there is no corn in their dog foods. So that is why I mentioned that. Not slamming you or your diet, just making a statement. The same goes for the other foods I mentioned, you will live longer without them. I am not your Momma nor your dietitian and don't mean to be telling you what to eat. Just passing along what people much smarter than me told me years ago. I listened to them and have had no problems since then. Nuff said.

You, Tom & Nate cam make the drive a planning session, but

Rick Sim
[subject]
Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 07:35 (2620 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

I agree that your old tools will no doubt prevail: 378 & 338 G2, 429 revolver. If it's working... The only temptation might be the 510, just because. After the HHC in 4 weeks, it will become crystal.

Mine is overly simple: The two G2 carbines in 41#2 (me) and 445SM for the wife & kid. Have the loads worked, ammo loaded, practice sessions, etc. Have to sight-in backup scopes, maybe change a primary scope from one make to another: Burris/Leupold.

My 3-hour round-trip happened a few weeks ago, hope your Homeland Security guys have a higher level of intelligence than mine.

Almost like HHC you don't even need to bring one.

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 11:13 (2620 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

But you will of course. Sounds like the ranges tend to be longer except for some special species. A long shooter and a good revolver. If I have both a .378 and .338 either would do fine, maybe the .338 gets a little nod for longer shots but the .378 can do it all too, just up to me. I do think the .378 swats harder, enough to tell on something bigger. .338 bullets seem to be very tough jacketed, the opposite of 8mm bullets. My theory as to the grand performance success of the 8mm GNR.

When I shot my Red Stag I had a .240 Raptor and the .378. Was planning only for Whitetail deer, sooooooo glad I had the .378.

no, you have to bring your own gun. We don't hunt in

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 12:25 (2620 days ago) @ WB

a group. It is one or 2 with each PH. So if you don't have your own guns, you don't hunt.

Sort of like the old YO.

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 13:30 (2620 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

I meant that with everyone bringing a secondary or back-up no one will be in dire situation in an unlikely emergency. I'd not travel that far at that expense without three myself. How many of what caliber? An inventory might be interesting as time gets closer.

I'd be interested in what old camp guns they have around too. Guides don't really seem to care too much about guns, just handy tools.

we are allowed to bring 3 guns but only one of a caliber

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 14:21 (2620 days ago) @ WB

we can bring 50 rounds of ammo per gun or 11 lbs max. Most of us are bring 2 Encores or Contenders and one revolver.