1st Day of the BVBC

John W
[subject]
Saturday, February 04, 2017, 09:45 (2661 days ago)

Coyote Contest.

A short time ago I was elected to the board of directors of our rod and gun club. The main reason is that some people want the club to turn to more sportsman's related activities rather than just becoming a watering hole.

I had kind of a brain fart. I see some people sponsor predator hunting contests online as well as in print. I figure why not give it a shot?

So I made up a list of rules and each hunter can participate by putting in $10. The contest runs from today until March 8th. The Bay State has a closed season on the eastern coyote, go figure!

So hopefully this will generate some interest in coyote hunting and just have some fun to boot. Time will tell.

I did go out in the AM with my 22 K Hornet that Gary rechambered. Most of my shots are going to be under 100 yards anyways.

I did not call any coyotes but I had a large fluffy hawk fly down and land in a tree next to the Mojo whirling decoy. Kind of neat to see and I do wish I could have recorded the event.

After lunch I am headed out again. We'll see what happens.

I'm probably missing something, but

Brent Foy
[subject]
Saturday, February 04, 2017, 09:53 (2661 days ago) @ John W

If you have a closed season on coyotes how do you have a coyote hunt?

I should say, the season closes on March 8th

John W
[subject]
Saturday, February 04, 2017, 11:53 (2661 days ago) @ Brent Foy

I believe Massachusetts is the only state in the US where you cannot hunt them year round. October to March 8th.

That will change in time, They've overun Ohio

Rick Sim
[subject]
Saturday, February 04, 2017, 12:21 (2661 days ago) @ John W

They'll do the same thing there. Coyotes and Feral hogs are the top two invasive pests pretty much everywhere around here. And I like hunting both. Think I'll get a coyote fur coat made so I can sit out on cold nights and shoot feral fogs, slow-cooked all night for BBQ's pulled pork.

I agree but we have too many

John W
[subject]
Saturday, February 04, 2017, 12:38 (2661 days ago) @ Rick Sim

people living in the Greater Boston Area who vote in such crap. In a way it is like California. The major cities of LA,SF and SD wag the rest of the state.

Not a vote issue Wildlife and fisheries should do their job

Brant
[subject]
Saturday, February 04, 2017, 13:56 (2661 days ago) @ John W

and in act seasons as needed to benefit wildlife. Not left wing mamby pambies agendas.

The problem Mass has is that it has

John W
[subject]
Sunday, February 05, 2017, 04:27 (2660 days ago) @ Brant

a referendum process.

The laws concerning some issues with wildlife were actually voted in by referendum a couple of decades ago by the far left in Boston.

As an example you can no longer hunt black bear with dogs. The result is that the bear population is booming and the complaints of bear damage has increased.

Leg hold traps were banned so now beaver damage exceeds the cost of snow removal in some places.

New York has a very similar season.

DennisD
[subject]
Saturday, February 04, 2017, 13:54 (2661 days ago) @ John W

- No text -