358 win Contender?? What gives?

Brant
[subject]
Wednesday, February 01, 2017, 14:46 (2652 days ago)

I have read about the 358 win in an old model contender. Saw a barrel once for sale on gunbroker, and even spoke to someone once that owns one that will take both 358 win and 356 win.

I always thought that was too much for the contender frame. Guess not. So what is the general consensus here? Not a good idea?

I like the G2 contender size a lot better than the encore. I am having a Remington 700 7mm-08 rebarrelled to 358win but would also like a single shot. In Louisiana we can use a single shot, with an exposed hammer, and .35 or larger during the so called primitive season.

Either way a single shot rifle barrel is a future project. Others ahead of it.

Sounds like someone took a 35 Rem

John W
[subject]
Wednesday, February 01, 2017, 15:13 (2652 days ago) @ Brant

and did a reamer job themselves. Tried it and stretched a frame. Now they are selling the barrel to recoup any losses.

I could be wrong but from what I understand the Contender frame has a limit of around 45K CUP case head thrust from medium sized rounds.

Yes and NO, too much backthrust. Downloaded yes.

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, February 01, 2017, 15:18 (2652 days ago) @ Brant

I have one, sort of. You load it lighter so it does not damage the action. A factory load once in a while may not hurt anything, but its edgy for an old TC. I think Gary actually used one in New Zealand on Stag.

WB is right. I used one in New Zealand on a big Red Stag and

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, February 01, 2017, 16:05 (2652 days ago) @ WB

it did fine. Dropped the stag with one shot. It was a well used old Contender, nickel plated that they had around the camp for handgun hunters. It worked.
[image]
[image]

Brant, a few things here...

Huey
[subject]
Wednesday, February 01, 2017, 15:40 (2652 days ago) @ Brant

The TC cannot be used during our primitive weapons season.

The 358 Win can and has been used in the Contender. I've never heard of a failure. I've got a barrel that accepts 356 and 358 Winchester rounds.

Thank you all. Huey, look at the latest

Brant
[subject]
Wednesday, February 01, 2017, 16:14 (2652 days ago) @ Huey

regulations. The old ones limited the firearm to be of a certain lineage. Now it only states exposed hammer single shot and .35cal opening up use of the T/C contender and encore. And maybe others. I had a conversation with a game warden about the legality of a Marlin 336 that is permanently converted to single shot and .35 cal. His response was, "Sure can. But why?"

That would be great. I've lobbied thru the State Reps...

Huey
[subject]
Wednesday, February 01, 2017, 16:31 (2652 days ago) @ Brant

Office for three years. I bought a G2 38-55 Win, then found out I couldn't use it.

Maybe we should look closer to be certain

Brant
[subject]
Wednesday, February 01, 2017, 17:15 (2652 days ago) @ Brant

But it looks good!

you will hear both sides of the story. We have built several

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, February 01, 2017, 16:00 (2652 days ago) @ Brant

and in every case we used factory ammo. One of our regulars in Florida, Tom Thomasson, used one on a Bison hunt in Utah with us. It took 3 or 4 shots but he got the Bison.
[image]
I don't recommend it for shooting 40 rounds every weekend but for hunting purposes where you sight the gun in and then use it on a hunt maybe twice a year it is fine.