G2 vs original Contender

PotatoJudge
[subject]
Wednesday, February 01, 2017, 11:20 (2647 days ago)

Gary, recently you mentioned that the G2 was a much stronger frame than the original Contender. Could you explain? In practical terms, what does that mean for cartridge selection, performance, and the likelihood of ruining a frame?

the G-2 frame in my humble opinion, is the best

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, February 01, 2017, 13:22 (2646 days ago) @ PotatoJudge

frame TC has ever designed. They took the best parts of the encore along with the lightweight of the Contender and coupled them for the G-2. The weakness of the old Contender was the slab side of the frame.
[image]
With hot loads the sides of the frame would stretch and you would begin to see ripples in the frame if you held it up to the light. The G-2 had the added "ribbon" on the side of the frame like the Encore, here is the encore
[image]
which gave it considerably more strength..here is the G-2
[image]

Neither is idiot proof, but with reasonable loads the G-2 frame would normally last considerably longer than the old Contender without having stretching problems.

My favorite feature is the internal safety designs.

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, February 01, 2017, 14:20 (2646 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

The old Contender I'd be setting on a stand and "CLICK" I'd trip the trigger safety with the hammer down. Then I'd have to open the action to "reset" and snap it shut again. The new G2 is like the Encore, no need to worry about that. Also the grip geometry is angled more back so you have a little less chance of whacking your knuckles on the trigger guard. My early number Contender from 1974 takes a whole hand and white knuckles to open too! The G2 is a two finger affair.

The hammer itself holds the independent safety that blocks the hammer from hitting the firing pin. You are safe with the hammer cocked and the selector in the middle position. But do not forget which way to flip that safety or your centerfire intention will land upon a rimfire firing pin (vice-versa)! That is about the biggest bitch I can come up with, that's all. A fantastic work of art and simplicity for handgun hunting. They should get some award of achievement!

g2

jack l
[subject]
Wednesday, February 01, 2017, 15:15 (2646 days ago) @ PotatoJudge

you could buy a new g2 frame also