A bit unconventional, but not really.

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, February 01, 2017, 08:22 (2653 days ago)

The little ultra airweight I have been playing with is really neat. I have it set up as I envisioned. The new front sight is a teeny bit taller and makes it hit a little low to my liking at 30 yds. I like a 6 O'clock hold, seeing where my bullet will land. As of now it hits right under that big green dot, fine for a panic response at close range.

[image]

The recoil impulse on a 13 oz. .38 is a little noteworthy too. Much, much better than that horrible Ruger LCR (pitooey) but still a little stingy to make it less than enjoyable. I shot some classic 158 gr. SWC that went 715 fps and some factory +P 125 gr. JHP that clocked 825 fps. The recoil is super fast, pointing out my short sight in adding the laser cut checkering on the little boot grips, a $10 ornamental option. Go smooth next time.

I read that in the early 60's in Dragnet days a popular snubby load was the original 200 gr. Police load in .38 Special. This runs very slow at maybe 600 fps +/-. Disturbingly many quoted that the bullet "yaw" made it more effective after it penetrated. Not very awe inspiring, and indicating it's on the edge of stability to begin with.

The .357 does great, just hits a bit high to the available sight adjustments. Only need to slow it down and make shorter for the .38 loading.
[image]

I have shot the RCBS 200 gr. rifle bullet in .357 around 1000-1300 fps with great results, in .38 cases. I also have a 180 gr. FNGC I can play with. I'm thinking of playing with taking the .38 Special down to the .38 S&W military load level for this light weight application. I can cast very soft alloy bullets for some expansion and limit over penetration. It should raise my POI to my more favored sighting and the recoil impulse will be changed, hopefully a bit slower, spread over a longer duration.

It won't hurt anything to try it. I might even revisit my Mom's LCR with that load if it proves fruitful and less painful. The soft lead gas checked 180-200 gr. load at 600-650 fps.

This guy did some interesting testing.
[image]

Still not understanding your issues with the LCR.

Gus S.
[subject]
Wednesday, February 01, 2017, 08:59 (2653 days ago) @ WB

I like mine. Granted I don't have the 357, but I never had any sting from +P .38 Spl loads. I've shot a a lot of 158 gr SWCs loaded as hot as the data would allow with Universal and HP-38 and never had a problem. I know that other powders can make more velocity, but those are my favorites for standard pressure carts and have never let me down. I think the DA trigger is easy, and predictable. I was chasing a reactive cube shaped target around in the 7 yard range with no problems. Overall I like it well enough to have carried it a long while. I'm not being a "gun diva" just because I own a LCR. I have a Smith Scandium 357 J-Frame and a Model 36 and some other snub, too. Just not understanding your disdain for the LCR.

Just joking around, sound piece. My

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, February 01, 2017, 10:35 (2653 days ago) @ Gus S.

Shooting experience was painful, stung smartly. Must have been hot +P. It's my 81 yr old mothers carry gun. I hoped to enjoy plinking with my S&W, I must not be as tough as I used to be.

Fun to get a little rise out of you and your honest review. I appreciate it.

The glass is always full; half water/half air.

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, February 01, 2017, 13:35 (2653 days ago) @ WB

I was able to slip off and load some up. These are Lyman 200 gr. RNGC for a .35 Remington etc. The bearing surface on the bullet is way different than the 200 gr. .38 Police or Military bullet. They may all key-hole!

A Misfit friend gave me these and I tested the idea of paint coating/baking already processed and lubed bullets. It was a bust, the paint made a hard shell like M&Ms with the lube bubbling out pinholes making it messy, resized again after baking. But they should shoot fine.

Normal lead bullet is a RCBS 200 gr. FNGC.
[image]

I used two loadings of Unique targeting the 600 and 700 fps goal. Then a Trail Boss load, because I knew some would like to know. Finally I went wild card and tried a test LilGun load for a slow powder and equivalent of a 2400 loading I found.

Oh I'll first test them out of a .357 L-frame. I'm not interested in shooting a 200 gr. bullet over 700 fps from my snubby. That would not be fun. I'll let you know how it goes. Looking for speed check limits and key-holing/accuracy potential, and POI relating to POA.

I have to agree with WB. The recoil and hand sting of the

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, February 01, 2017, 13:11 (2653 days ago) @ Gus S.

LCR is way more than it should be. Kase bought one of the first ones out and we shot it. Both of us shot 2 or 3 rounds each and said screw that. And we shoot the really big stuff every day. It is not a comfortable revolver to shoot full factory loads in. Kase sold it the next day. Several of the S&W Scandium revolvers are just as bad with hot loads. With light loads they are OK but who is going to run light loads for self defense. No thanks, I will pass on it.

I thought the scandium was fine..

Gus Snipes
[subject]
Wednesday, February 01, 2017, 19:23 (2652 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

.. with 38 special loads, both standard and +P. One shot with the 357 and I was done. The LCR handled the +P loads way better with the Hogue grip. Now I will certainly admit, the without the soft grips I would have never bought the LCR. I have no desire to own one in 357 mag. But I'm carrying an XDS 45 now. Its worse than the light weight revolver in 38 +P but not as bad as one in 357 mag.

I'm by no means saying y'all are wrong. I had a different experience. Also, I likely don't have the frame of reference you two do. I haven't shot lots of small carry guns. I might be liking the LCR just because it was better that the last thing I shot. I got the LCR after a short string of compact 9mm and 380 pistols.

WB Hornaday makes a 140 g XTP

jthomson
[subject]
Wednesday, February 01, 2017, 13:38 (2653 days ago) @ WB

that would make a great load over some 4227 and a mag primer, in a 38 spl format, I also like the 148g wadcutter rounds. Instead of 1 heavy thumper, try a double tap with a lighter load. (no Mrs WB jokes here)

Lots of room for that play, even a greasy .350 RB!

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, February 01, 2017, 14:11 (2653 days ago) @ jthomson

The Speer 140 gr. JHP was a favorite of mine in the day ahead of Blue Dot in .357. I did load some with a stiff charge of Unique in .38 for my Police Positive Specials. Boy it bounced!

You know 9mm bullets are not out of the equation. They work pretty well, 115/124 gr. JHP.

I'm just goofing around. The gun is MADE for carry, not shooting much at all. But I of course want to push that line of thinking. Cheap harmless fun. I have a perfectly good and comfortable shooting M60.