S&W has just slapped the gun shops in the face

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Thursday, April 18, 2024, 15:57 (13 days ago)

They are coming out with a special AR-15 as a special Sportsman's Warehouse edition of the folding AR-15. Sportsman's Warehouse is our main competition in Flagstaff and sell many times more guns that we ever could. The fact that they are partnering with Sportsman's Warehouse really ticks me off. It is hard enough to make a living without a large company like S&W partnering with our competition.

There is no loyalty to anyone; all about the investors.

Andy S
[subject]
Thursday, April 18, 2024, 18:43 (13 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Very hard to compete with the big outfits. If you complain they can make your life miserable by controlling your distributors. Just a vicious cycle almost forcing the consumer to buy from the big guys. That is their agenda, headed down a slippery slope. When the bottom is reached all hell will break loose. Folks it won't be pretty. Breaks my heart. God help us all.

I didn't know they sold actual firearms

WB
[subject]
Friday, April 19, 2024, 08:30 (12 days ago) @ Andy S

I get a catalog every once in a while with cheap china sourced stuff. Some good prices on ammo sometimes but it sells out almost immediately, seldom a good deal is actually in stock very long at all. Loss leaders.

I've been in stores in Missoula, MT,

IC
[subject]
Friday, April 19, 2024, 10:42 (12 days ago) @ WB

Casper, WY, and Slidell, LA. Lots of guns, reloading components, and ammo. The stores are like Cabela's. I have a friend that has a very rich son-in-law. He goes in and buys ammo by cases, when you and I would be limited to the amount we could buy. Plus, I think they call him and tell him it's in. Not the best business practices.

the big box stores like Sportsman's Warehouse and Cabelas

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, April 23, 2024, 12:19 (8 days ago) @ WB

are seldom the lowest price around. Their advantage is that they have the ammo and the guns people want. Unfortunately the young people looking for a new rifle that is getting full page ads in all the gun magazines don't want to wait for their local gun shop to call around and find that gun for them, often saving them several hundred dollars. So being impatient they go ahead and buy the gun from the big box stores at a higher price. If folks would just get their local gun shop to call around to their distributors they could more than likely find the gun folks are looking for and at a better price. That is the main problem. Gun shops have to go thru distributors. In most cases we can't just call up Ruger or S&W and order a gun and we can't just call up Hornady and order ammo. It just isn't done that way. The big box stores usually have a buyer who buys the guns and ammo for all their stores, which are often in the dozens. They make a huge buy and when the ammo is available or the new guns are available the gun and ammo companies naturally send it to the big box stores first. The gun shops get what is left over. It is just good business for Cabelas and Sportsman's Warehouse and all the other big box stores. They are slowly putting the local gun shops out of business and that is exactly what they want.