Breaching tool

Ray Shepard
[subject]
Wednesday, April 10, 2024, 15:44 (9 days ago)

There's a police breaching tool called a KBT (Kinetic Breaching Tool). It uses a blank cartridge to initiate a flat piece of metal out of the end. The metal plate shoots out a few inches then immediately retracts and resets for another strike. The metal plate is blunt and about 1/2 inch wide and 4-5 inches tall. I got the chance to use it on wooden door and metal doors. Pretty impressive.

Anyway, I share all this to ask about reloading blanks. I've never thought about it. This tool uses 45 long colt blanks and the more we have the more we can train with it (if we have doors available). So is reloading blanks a worthwhile endeavor?

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

I always wondered

Randy Barnett
[subject]
Wednesday, April 10, 2024, 16:05 (9 days ago) @ Ray Shepard

what the Starline 45LC blanks were for. I’m sure they were used for exhibition purposes as well.

Hollywood first of all.

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Wednesday, April 10, 2024, 16:08 (9 days ago) @ Randy Barnett

... a long time before Starline.

In our gun shop in Tennessee we carried the 5 in 1 blank. No

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, April 10, 2024, 16:34 (9 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

sure why we did but we sold enough of it to keep reordering. We have calls for it here in Arizona today. The Grand Canyon Railroad has a fake train robbery for folks taking the train ride. The bad guys and the good guys each shoot the 5 in 1 blanks. I bet they are loud in the enclosed train cars.
Every once in a while those that are shooting the blanks bring their guns in to have us clean the residue out of the barrels from the black powder blanks.

Back in the 1960's we were in the Superstitions

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Wednesday, April 10, 2024, 16:48 (9 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

and ran across a place where they had filmed some shots for a movie. There were 5-in-1 fired blanks laying all over the place. I collected up 50 or 60 and took them home. Tried reloading them for my 44-40 rifle, cutting them back and loading a bullet in them but the brass was too thick and the flash holes too large.

The 5-in-1 blanks would work.

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Wednesday, April 10, 2024, 16:07 (9 days ago) @ Ray Shepard

And Starline has the brass to reload.

[image]

You probably know this but the 5-in-1 blanks fit .38-40 rifle and pistol ... .44-40 rifle and pistol and .45 Colt.