Gary, or anyone else, I'm curious

Ray Shepard
[subject]
Tuesday, April 02, 2024, 17:08 (35 days ago)

what are some of the strangest animals you've hunted or hunts you have heard about? I saw the other day you can hunt puffins in Iceland or Greenland. Something I never would have considered hunting? I've also heard of many unsuccessful sasquatch hunts.

At one of the Celebrity Handgun Hunts the Y.O.Ranch had a

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, April 02, 2024, 17:42 (35 days ago) @ Ray Shepard

sale on EMUs, those little midget ostrichs. They bought a bunch of them from another exotic ranch but they were chasing people and kicking dents in trucks, so the Y.O. said shoot all you like, $50 each. I shot $400 worth of them. I wanted the taxidermist to mount two of them to put one on each side of the door to my shop and do one and spray paint it yellow to tell the kids I shot Big Bird. But the taxidermist decided he didn't want to do it but he waited a month or so to tell me and the hides had turned bad by then. Dave Manson was hunting with me during all this and we shot a truckload of them.All the meat went to charity as normal.
[image]
[image]
Dave wounded one and had to choke it to death.
[image]

On another hunt there they had a bunch of reindeer that they wanted to cull out as their antlers were getting infected and not falling off. So I field tested the 510 GNR on a couple.
[image]
[image]

You are probably a little too old to manage it...

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, April 03, 2024, 08:16 (34 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

but a genuine Southern Snipe hunt, only done at night. Not to be confused with the silly little northern bird, the Southern Snipe is an elusive creature and while plentiful it is seldom seen. Most nocturnal brush piles contain at least a couple. It requires true patience and a motionless stance. It MUST be done with only oil lamps (maybe carbide if available) and the animals are caught with real burlap sacks, nothing modern or plastic will work. It is said this simulates the mother's womb and lulls the animals to let their guard down. Any other method or materials and it simply will not work.

Once a likely run is located It requires a very focused mental state to remain motionless for long enough to feel the creatures exploring the inside of the sack. Then you got them, IF you are fast enough. As we age our reflexes and mental state degrade and it is a useless attempt. But we COULD try it.

Snipe hunting

Winnturner48
[subject]
Wednesday, April 03, 2024, 09:18 (34 days ago) @ WB

WB,I've been on many Southern Snipe hunts, only one as the bagman,the rest as an experienced guide.
Most hunts are not successful due to impatience on the part of the bagman.
However, a truly a hunt you will never forget.

You know it's pushing luck to be the bagman too much

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, April 03, 2024, 10:19 (34 days ago) @ Winnturner48

if you were too slow... You know they go straight for the face! I hear tell a guy thought to take his girlfriend once. Too slow or hesitated. Messed her up bad, I think she ended up being a Nun or something.

Its funny you mention that,

Ray Shepard
[subject]
Wednesday, April 03, 2024, 12:39 (34 days ago) @ WB

I'm actually a snipe breeder, but just the eastern orthodoxy snipe. I also mix my own blinker fluid, it's an old family recipe.

Thinking back on snipe hunting

Brad Barnett
[subject]
Wednesday, April 03, 2024, 18:31 (34 days ago) @ Ray Shepard

And blinker fluid, reminds me that I need to replace my muffler bearings.

And check the air in your 5th wheel

Winnturner48
[subject]
Thursday, April 04, 2024, 10:04 (33 days ago) @ Brad Barnett

- No text -

I have a nephew that needs to go snipe hunting...

Derek
[subject]
Wednesday, April 03, 2024, 14:49 (34 days ago) @ WB

- No text -