Thoughts on the S&W N-frame 5"?

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, March 06, 2024, 10:46 (60 days ago)

Misfits are always tinkering and wondering. I only had two 5" S&W. They were a delightful M625 (1988) and a pre-safety 629 Classic. I'd not be a disappointed to have both/either back.

I love the 624 formerly offered in 6.5", 4" and 3". I wonder what a 5" would feel like?

Some other S&W vintage models were offered in 5" and I think highly sought.

Poor photo-mod rendering of a 5" 624 .44 Special. Looks pretty good?!
[image]

It's all in what floats your boat. I think quite often the

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, March 06, 2024, 11:40 (60 days ago) @ WB

certain gun being highly sought after is because they don't offer it. It's the same with a lot of guns. The Browning A-5 sold fairly well until they quit making them in Belgium. When word got out that they were going to be made in Japan overnight the Belgium gun became a collector's item. The same with the pre-64 Winchester. Back in '90 or so Ruger put out a short barreled Super Blackhawk with the unfluted cylinder. It was sort of ho hum until they dropped it. Then it became highly sought after. The 5" revolvers were not the hottest seller around until word got out that they were going to be a very limited offering. The 6" or 6½ were the way revolvers were for many years. That was how folks thought they should be. When the 5" were first offered, like the Super Blackhawk above it was ho hum. Then when word got out that they were to be a very limited offering everyone wanted one. We carried one of the 5" S&Ws at our shop in Tennessee and it sat in the showcase seemingly forever.
An old fellow that was retired military and shot in competition with revolvers came in the shop one day all excited and told us the 5" was not to be made anymore and he wanted the one we had in the showcase. He put a couple hundred down and came back that afternoon and paid the rest. Then all his buddies that looked up to him started asking us if we could get the 5" S&W.

So most of the highly sought-after guns are simply due to less of them being available, not necessarily because they are any better than they were a month ago. People always want what they can't get.

.44 SPECIALS

JT
[subject]
Wednesday, March 06, 2024, 11:47 (60 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

.44 MAGNUM

JT
[subject]
Wednesday, March 06, 2024, 11:53 (60 days ago) @ JT

.45s

JT
[subject]
Wednesday, March 06, 2024, 11:59 (60 days ago) @ JT

My five inch 29 is a accurate 44...

JFS
[subject]
Wednesday, March 06, 2024, 12:11 (60 days ago) @ JT

Nice shooting James

Andy S
[subject]
Wednesday, March 06, 2024, 18:58 (60 days ago) @ JFS

- No text -

How you like that rear sight? I looked at them.

WB
[subject]
Thursday, March 07, 2024, 12:07 (59 days ago) @ JFS

- No text -

What rear sight are you talking about? I haven't seen any

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Thursday, March 07, 2024, 14:43 (59 days ago) @ WB

new rear sights on the model 29s. Are you talking about Bowen's Rough Country sight? I posted something on the internet and all I get is 400 pictures of the old original rear sight.

That`s a LPA rear... I believe they are made

JFS
[subject]
Friday, March 08, 2024, 14:58 (58 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

in Italy.... Its a good sight and that one has two F/O dots... I am always looking for something to help my eyes with iron sights... I`ve since switched back to a W/O rear....

anybody got a pic?

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Friday, March 08, 2024, 15:25 (58 days ago) @ JFS

- No text -

Gary, Two pics of the LPA rear sight for S&W

JFS
[subject]
Friday, March 08, 2024, 22:32 (58 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

That makes sense...

JFS
[subject]
Wednesday, March 06, 2024, 12:07 (60 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

I'm certain that is true. But a few, I think

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, March 06, 2024, 15:31 (60 days ago) @ JFS

pursue the hope of something, just a little bit extra special, the unexpected surprise. Acadian peoples have a descriptive word, Langinappe, or simply put, with a little extra something. It can make it all come together, make your day. (*If you ever happen upon an eatery with that as their name, pull in)

Your Redhawk, Steathhawks, by purpose or pleasant accident are a perfect example. Ruger makes a 5.5" and a 7.5", you were moved to cut it to 6", which seems like a lot of effort for the work. But for the proportion, by golly it is just right, something not found by the designing engineers. They clean missed it. Not to mention the unique grip shape and rounding of all the edges. Man, oh man does it make a difference. It's lagninappe for sure. Perfect on that bigger chassis.

I think a 5" N-frame is something a man does not need to pass up when found at the gun shop. Even the semi-auto finds 5" a good measure. Millions of 1911's and Beretta's, others too, are 5". Maybe the overlooked perfect length?!

.357s ALL

JT
[subject]
Wednesday, March 06, 2024, 11:42 (60 days ago) @ WB

I figured the talk of 5" S&Ws would wake you up.

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, March 06, 2024, 11:47 (60 days ago) @ JT

- No text -