I have a question for you about Africa

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Friday, March 01, 2024, 15:58 (27 days ago)

And this doesn't hold you to anything. It is just to see if there is enough demand. Here we go.

If I were to book an Africa hunt for this late summer, would you be interested? Now I know the first question is how much is it going to cost me. Theoretically...you could spend a full week in Africa and take 3 or 4 animals for around $10,000 plus your airfare which I am hearing is less than $1800.

In Africa you have a daily rate which is $450 a day. That covers everything except the cost of the animals and your airfare. In other words if you went to Africa with me and didn't shoot anything, that would be 7 times $450, or $3150
so that is good so far. There would be a couple of small licenses to add to that but they are minimal.

Now I know these prices are going to be way off but I didn't have a current price sheet with me so these are guesses,.So here we go...
say you shoot an Impala....say $550
a warthog...$550
a Blesbok...$750
a Blue Wildebeest...$750
Now if you shot all 4 of those at the prices I posted that would be $2600. Now if my prices were off (which I am sure they are as it's been 4 years since I was there) add in another$1400. That would be $4000 in animal prices. Add that to the $3150 above and you have a great African hunt for $7150. Figure a bit more for the shuttle to camp and $100 for the first night when we get there at a local hotel. That is $7250. And let's just say I am a bit off on the animal prices and some odds & ends costs and add $1500. That is $8750. Figure in another $500 of licenses and tips to your PH. Now we are at $9250. Now where in the world can you have 7 days in Africa, hunt all 7 days and take 4 premiere African animals for less than $10,000?

Think about it. I have not finalized this hunt at all. I only talked to John Abraham one evening this week. Once he gets back to me I will post the tentative hunt dates. Our summer is their winter so the hunt would be in cooler weather. My first 2 hunts in Africa were in August of '92 and '93 and they were great. Again think about it.

Here is another good point. Your deposit is half of the

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Friday, March 01, 2024, 16:51 (27 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

daily rates. So just figure the half would be $1650. That leaves you a balance of around $7000 (just coming up with some figures). You don't have to pay that balance right off. A few weeks after we get back Lauri, John's wife, will tally up everything and e-mail you the balance which you can take a month or two to pay off. And if you decide to have your mounts taxidermed you can leave the mounts there and they will be done there and shipped back to you in about a year. So there are couple more reasons to enjoy a hunt in Africa.

Those daily rates would be figured on hunting 7 days

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Friday, March 01, 2024, 17:44 (27 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Obviously if the hunt was a 10 day hunt your daily rates would be $4500. And so on. However many hunting days you have your deposit is half of that.

Question for ya . . .

ORG
[subject]
Saturday, March 02, 2024, 07:31 (27 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

How much of all this can be paid by credit card and how much requires cash?

ORG

All of it can be by credit card. Your deposit goes to Lauri

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Saturday, March 02, 2024, 11:17 (26 days ago) @ ORG

Abraham, John's wife. She puts the deposit in your name. After the hunt is over in a couple of weeks she e-mails you with your balance and you give her your credit card number. The only thing I can remember doing by cash was the tip for your PH and a few bucks for your skinners and trackers. Everything else is credit card.
I don't recommend any of my guys that go with me to being much cash. For one thing you don't need to flash a roll of cash in a country other than the U.S. For another thing a credit card used in a foreign country automatically figures what the dollar is equivalent to in Rand (the South African dollar). The U.S. dollar isn't worth quite as much as it was a few years back but it is still way ahead of most other currencies. So if you see a gift for the wife in the airport in Joberg that is marked $20 Rand that might really be $5.60 or so. The last time I was in South Africa the dollar was worth 7 of the South African Rand. So the U.S. dollar still is worth more overseas than here in the states.

One of my regulars named Jeremy, opened up a new credit card account with a $20,000 limit and put everything except those mentioned above on the card., He had a great hunt, spent around $12,000. He had the hunt of a lifetime and paid it off over the next 2 years. He got one of the cards that promote it as no interest for 24 months so he won all the way around.

This hunt would be in South Africa, not in

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Friday, March 01, 2024, 21:34 (27 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

the C.A.R. or the Cameroon or in the area where the Bongo film was filmed.