RANGE TIME TODAY

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Monday, February 26, 2024, 13:46 (32 days ago)

Having really nice weather. Supposed to hit 90 today. Spent some time on the Range this morning, practicing offhand with the Single Six that Gary cleaned up for me and the old Winchester Model 67 that he sold me. Both do a lot better than I can!

Shooting 20 yards with the Model 67 I managed one group with all 3 shots touching. Using Aguila Long Rifle plated hollow point bullets. That was the best group of the day.

With the Single Six I was shooting at some dime-size stickers. I could get one onto it but the rest were dispersed around it .. further or closer depending on how long I had been shooting. All fun stuff and worth the time spent.

[image]
Gary cut the barrel to 4 5/8" and put the Super Single Six front sight on it for me. I opened up the rear notch and I can SEE THE SIGHTS!

[image]
I bought this from Gary awhile back and cut it down for my Grandsons. It's such a good shooter that I shoot it as much or more than they do. I don't mind the short stock.

That 67 is proportioned just right!

WB
[subject]
Monday, February 26, 2024, 21:02 (31 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

When I was about 18-19 yrs. Old (I’m 61 now) this fellow in Medford Oregon was making custom single shot .22 boys guns out of his garage. He called them Chipmunks! The fellow was using Douglas barrels and such with very high quality figured wood. I think I remember they were guaranteed to shoot 1” 50 yd. groups. A tall claim back then. For some reason I was sprit moved to buy a particularly attractive one to put back one day anticipating children of my own. Wonders of all I still have it today!

It will indeed shoot under 2 MOA. I’ve managed sub 1.25” 3-shot groups at 100 yds.! The kids all exclaimed with glee (18-24 yrs. old) when I brought it into the house to take the pic. It was close to the front. They all remembered it with fond memories. Benj decided “this is what Shack feels like”, lol.

It is tiny, 2-1/2 lbs., barrel is 16”.

[image]

I remember the Chipmunk.

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Monday, February 26, 2024, 21:22 (31 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

Well...I guess they still make them. I see

WB
[subject]
Monday, February 26, 2024, 21:37 (31 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

A company named KSA in PA markets them. Rifle and handgun versions! They have a radical right handed, left port, left bolt, single shot handgun version that is very reasonably priced.

Has anyone ever had one?!

I believe they make a pistol version too.

steve todd
[subject]
Tuesday, February 27, 2024, 13:16 (31 days ago) @ WB

Available in 22 Magnum or 22 LR.

The smallest is the Chiappa Little Badger

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, February 27, 2024, 17:41 (31 days ago) @ steve todd

- No text -

Chiappa claims it is the smallest but it looks

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, February 27, 2024, 17:47 (31 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

a bit bigger to me, maybe because it is mostly all barrel.

Those old 67's remain one of my all time favorites.

AmBraCol ⌂, The Center Of God's Grace
[subject]
Tuesday, February 27, 2024, 07:34 (31 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

Rich Hoch gave me one that he cut down way back when for his grandkids. He put a Mossberg side mount and a... can't remember the brand 4X15 or something like that - straight steel tube - scope on it. I always thought it'd be nice to have iron sights instead of that scope, but it's given good service over the years. And even with my gorilla arms that short stock isn't a problem. When we lived up on the Western Slope I'd keep it on the floor boards of the sedan behind the front seat. Had a few rounds in my shirt pocket and as I'd be driving back onto the place where we were staying I could grab the rifle and poke it out the window to nail prairie dogs, muskrats and other vermin. Made a lot of first shot kills with it it. It wouldn't group for sour apples, but first shot out of a cold barrel would be right on the money.

--
I'm a peaceful man and prefer the pursuit of peaceful sports. Those involving teams and balls of any sort tend to be deleterious to one's body and promote violence by both spectators and participants.

A unique feature of the Win. 67 is the receiver

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, February 27, 2024, 15:52 (31 days ago) @ AmBraCol

which is actually just milled into the rear of the barrel blank. It's not really that innovative as many others did the same. This includes Stevens, Iver Johnson to name a couple. Winchester just executed it so well. They had a simple, yet not cheap appearing design, using nice solid American Walnut wood. The barrel was long at something like 27" since it has no receiver technically.

I think Winchester did make a "youth model" 67A that was shorter and is a collector's item today. Earlier 67's had hand grooves on the forend of the stock.

[image]