you guys have been talking about things to have

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Thursday, February 22, 2024, 12:35 (61 days ago)

if things go south on us. I found this list of 26 things to have around should that happen. Some of this is a list I found on the internet, the rest I have added to it. Some sound silly, but... also there are dozens of other things I could add to this list but these are a starter.

1. portable radio, especially one with NOAH radio for the weather.

2.seeds..for planting for future food

3.warm clothes and blankets

4.bar-b-q tongs. I wouldn't have thought about this but if there is no electricity and you end up cooking on a grill the tongs could come in handy

5.personal hygiene...especially for the ladies and small kids and you big macho men tend to stink after a couple of days.

6.trash bags...if things go south the garbage pick up trucks probably won't be running. Think about how much trash you end up with in a month..

7.water filters....for under your sink or small manual filters

8.bottled water..stock up. It doesn't go bad.

9.para cord or rope..endless uses

10. cash and coins...although in a really bad situation paper money might serve better as toilet paper. Things would probably be more in a barter situation. Gold or silver coins would tend to be worth more.

11.solar charger...we sold a lot of these small chargers a while back and they work.

12. duct tape..many uses for this. A must to have around.

13.swiss Army knife...like the tape above, lots of uses for this

14.12" adjustable wrench...again many uses for this one.

15.a camp ax or hatchet plus a larger ax for chopping wood.

16.flashlight and batteries.try to get the rechargeable batteries. The solar charger above could recharge the batteries.

17. canned sardines...sounds strange but canned sardines last almost forever and are full of nutrients.Plus they stack well in a small space.

18.personal prescriptions...obvious for the older crowd.But even things like cold medicine or other normal things to have around.

19. canned food and a manual can opener. Even though they have a date on top of the can, they are still good well after that date. The date is "best if used by this date" not a "don't even think about using this if the date has passed" situation.

20. A small selection of tools for around the house or your vehicle.

21. stock up on toilet tissue and Kleenex. Paper towels too.

22. a selection of band aids and other items for small cuts or burns.Alcohol and iodine too. Q tips come in handy, especially with little kids.

23. one of the old fashioned coffee pots. One that you could sit on an open fire. Plus a supply of coffee grounds. Your electric coffee maker probably wouldn't work.

24. like the coffee pot a selection of pots and pans that could sit on an open fire. The cast iron skillets and pans are good but a bit expensive.

25. a good supply of matches, especially the long 10" matches.

26. Should you end up having to make a fire outside or in a wood cook stove a fire starter is necessary. When I do my bluing I use a lot of the brown paper towels like you see in service station rest rooms that I buy in bulk. The ones I use end up covered in oil. I set these aside as they make perfect fire starters. If you have a quart of oil handy you can pour a bit on the paper towels and they make starting a fire quick and easy.

If you have other ideas feel free to add to this list.

I have a personal list for guns and ammo that I will get to later.

I envision myself out in the woods, a survival situation

WB
[subject]
Thursday, February 22, 2024, 12:48 (61 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

opening a tin of sardines in mustard sauce. It is probably akin to Granny ringing the triangle loudly "SUPPER...Ya'll Come and "Git-it". Then I'm ate by a Bear. Suffering and worry over.

We roughed it in Mexico for a month

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Thursday, February 22, 2024, 14:35 (61 days ago) @ WB

helping build a hospital. We camped out and suffered in a 40 foot Winnebago with a queen size bed, air conditioning, micowave oven, hot showers. It was tough.

Shoot the bear. Then ...

John W
[subject]
Thursday, February 22, 2024, 19:27 (61 days ago) @ WB

you have meat, fat and fur.

Vodka, for obvious reasons and also

Darryl T.
[subject]
Thursday, February 22, 2024, 13:36 (61 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Medicinal and trading. Water flavoring packets,tea and coffee bags, after purifying water it may need som flavor.

I had several of your solar chargers in Africa ...

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Thursday, February 22, 2024, 14:34 (61 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

used them a lot to keep cell phones charged. Also had rechargeable flashlights we charged with them.

I have several emergency lights, one which you crank it awhile and that charges the battery.

list

FSimon
[subject]
Friday, February 23, 2024, 11:06 (60 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Thanks Gary..I missed a few things

A concept came ot me selecting items

WB
[subject]
Friday, February 23, 2024, 12:05 (60 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Sometimes trying to pick a device to do many things you can end up with something that can sort of do it all, but not anything well. It creates a mediocre struggle. You have to decide, is it better to select something that does a range of needs well, but is specific. Or perhaps strive for versatility.

A 10 oz. belt knife is great, but you'd rather have a 4 lb. belt hatchet to chop wood. What can you afford in packing for your specific trip.

SOLAR POWER CHARGERS

FSimon
[subject]
Friday, February 23, 2024, 17:45 (60 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

GARY YOU MENTION THESE IN YOUR LIST. WHAT BRAND ARE YOU SELLING? HOW MUCH? CAN WE ORDER SOME

I don't have any. I did have them in stock

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Saturday, February 24, 2024, 11:57 (59 days ago) @ FSimon

but that was a couple of years ago. I think Rothco sells the brand we were selling. You might check with them.

SOLAR POWER CHARGERS

FSimon
[subject]
Saturday, February 24, 2024, 15:26 (59 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Thanks Gary