To answer a question, OM vs Single-Six

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, February 20, 2024, 18:21 (66 days ago)

New stainless cylinder. With a lathe and enough motivation anything is possible, but in this case, NOT practical. To study why.

OM has a recessed rear portion of the cylinder with recessed case heads. The NM has recessed heads but is different. You could turn the back face but it would expose the case heads a little, it’s only a few thousandths but it’s there. Then, while the pawl gear is the same, as is the OAL both cylinders, the front “bushing” is a few thousandths too short. It looks like the barrel would be close but you really need the barrel fitted to the dedicated cylinder. It’s a bit of a trick to have interchangeable cylinders in the first place. The factory gets it done easy.

I’ll clean up the stainless cylinder and sell it online. They can bring around $100, too expensive to screw up tinkering a lost cause. I’ll do that and buy something else fun.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

I meant the pawl gear is the same height

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, February 20, 2024, 18:23 (66 days ago) @ WB

Note the different diameter! It’s NOT the same.

Borchardt Rifle Co. makes Ruger Cylinders

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Tuesday, February 20, 2024, 19:08 (66 days ago) @ WB

$135 .. Long rifle or Magnum

http://rugercyl.com/ruger-cylinders/

I think they are for New Models.

Yeah, thats a NM. I think I'll just bail

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, February 20, 2024, 20:57 (66 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

and sell it to someone that needs it. It's a LR cylinder and they do pretty well, the NM stainless one. Thats about 1/3 of the way to a new Ruger Super Wrangler!

Do you think a scope base for a Single six would also fit a Super Wrangler? The rear sights and ears look the same.

I have no clue. Never put a scope on a sixgun.

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Tuesday, February 20, 2024, 21:37 (66 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

The old Bushnell Phantom mount

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, February 21, 2024, 08:22 (66 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

used the rear sight hole for the factory rear sight. The alloy mount bottomed out in that rear sight mortise. Then you were supposed to drill a single hole in the topstrap for a forward mounting point.

If the New Super Wrangler rear sight is the same there is a chance it would drop right in. They also had a side clamp topstrap no mods mount that is very rare. I have one on my OM single six. But the Super Wrangler has topstrap humps for the sight that are contoured differently than the common Single six, more blocky in profile. I am seeing some other custom or semi-custom mounts for the fix sight Wrangler but cannot locate a purchase source, even if I were inclined.

Thank you!

AmBraCol ⌂, The Center Of God's Grace
[subject]
Wednesday, February 21, 2024, 08:02 (66 days ago) @ WB

Now THAT question's pretty well settled. Fascinating how similar yet different the two cylinders are.

--
I'm a peaceful man and prefer the pursuit of peaceful sports. Those involving teams and balls of any sort tend to be deleterious to one's body and promote violence by both spectators and participants.

I thought some might find it interesting

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, February 21, 2024, 08:16 (66 days ago) @ AmBraCol

it's not a common topic that you'd find just anywhere. I thought we would take advantage of the opportunity. I know many who have gotten really lucky with online drop in cylinders and or lived with some minor sloppy tolerances. As long as it does not drag or spit lead too badly it's likely not to go noticed from your average shooter anyway.

If you want something really accurate it needs to have proper fitting and tight barrel cylinder gap. THAT's where gunsmiths earn their money.

Roy Huntington has some Youtube videos and articles where he is taking Ruger Wranglers that shoot 3" groups at 25 yds. (respectable offhand!) and with some gunsmithing by soothing actions, re-crowning barrels, throating barrel jobs, they shrink that to half (1.5" groups) which is great. It shows what the extra care of tuning and fitting can do.